IGNORED

Flash 2 arrow keys - LYNX - Lantronix UDS-10

Fletch

I've recently acquired a Lantronix UDS-10 to get my ST on-line again. I am using my old copy of Flash 2 as my VT100 software. Everything seems to work great but the arrow keys. When I use the arrow keys it sends the letters A B C or D instead of moving the cursor. When I use LYNX it requires the use of arrow keys.

Anyone have a suggestion.

Fletch

I'm not familiar with that software, Flash 2, but have you tried using the Atari terminal cart for the ST? I got mine from Best Electronics for I think $15 shipped, they had more than one when I ordered.

Sorry I can't help with your software. This term cart works great, and has given me zero trouble regardless of what I connect to.

I've recently acquired a Lantronix UDS-10 to get my ST on-line again. I am using my old copy of Flash 2 as my VT100 software. Everything seems to work great but the arrow keys. When I use the arrow keys it sends the letters A B C or D instead of moving the cursor. When I use LYNX it requires the use of arrow keys.

Anyone have a suggestion.

Fletch

Just curious - have you been able to get anything working except for telnet?

Didn't think the UDS series was capable of email, web-browsing, newsgroups, etc.

Thanks!

Update:

The arrow keys seem to work fine on my 1040STf, but not on my 1040STe. I have no idea why, but the arrow keys work in other programs so I am assuming its a TOS version thing.

Darklord,

The UDS-10 is telnetting into my OS X box. OS X is handling Pine for email, Lynx and Links for web browsing, snownews as an RSS reader, and Frotz for Infocom games.

So technically I am cheating.

Fletch

Update:

The arrow keys seem to work fine on my 1040STf, but not on my 1040STe. I have no idea why, but the arrow keys work in other programs so I am assuming its a TOS version thing.

Darklord,

The UDS-10 is telnetting into my OS X box. OS X is handling Pine for email, Lynx and Links for web browsing, snownews as an RSS reader, and Frotz for Infocom games.

Fletch

Wow, thats not cheating man, thats improvisation - way to go! I know others were looking for ways to

use the UDS10 besides just telnet - maybe now they can get a few ideas from your example.

2 thumbs up! :)

Darklord,

It doesn't seem all that exciting to me, but I'll give some info of what I've done if it might help others.

First of all, I am using Mac OS X so I am assuming Linux of some other UNIX variant would be about the same but I am not sure. As for Windows I really don't think any of this will apply.

OS X needs either FINK or MACPORTS to install most command line UNIX apps. http://www.finkproject.org/ or http://www.macports.org/. Install one or both of these first.

I then installed LYNX and LINKS for web browsing. This is old school text browsing. No graphics of any kind, but it works well enough.

Next I installed PINE. PINE is an email client. Nothing fancy, but it works.

SNOWNEWS was next. It is an RSS Reader. I find this to be useful for reading the news than browsing with LYNX or LINKS. It does one thing and it does it well.

I installed FROTZ for old school Infocom gaming fun. I have a CD full of Infocom games I had bought in the 90's and all of the games work just great with FROTZ.

The next, and maybe most useful thing I installed was Lrzsz. Lrzsz lets you instigate ZMODEM transfers from the OS X machine to the ST. Just navigate to the folder containing the file you want and type sz FILE.PRG. (obviously replacing FILE.PRG with whatever you want to transfer).

I then edited my OS X install to accept Telnet connections. By default this is turned off.

Then I set up the UDS-10. I have it set at 19200 Baud 8,N,1 and turned on XON/XOFF error correction. I didn't have error correction on at first and all of my Zmodem transfers failed. After I enabled XON/XOFF it has worked flawlessly.

I use Flash 2 on the ST. Make sure your rs232 settings are set exactly like the UDS-10. Be sure you chose vt-100 as your terminal.

Once in Flash 2 jump into terminal mode and type atdtx.x.x.x,23 (replace x.x.x.x with the IP of your OS X machine) and you should be welcomed with the login prompt.

I hope this helps someone.

Fletch

Update:

Darklord,

Fletch

Wow, thats not cheating man, thats improvisation - way to go! I know others were looking for ways to

use the UDS10 besides just telnet - maybe now they can get a few ideas from your example.

2 thumbs up! :)

Edited by Fletch