IGNORED

I absolutely hate Dr robotniks mean bean machine! (Genesis collection)

Crazy Climber

This is the last trophy I need before I have them all. This game (Dr robotniks mean bean machine) is just too damn hard. Seriously, for the first time in years I almost threw my controller at the screen, I was so mad at the difficulty and I am playing it on easy level!!! I hate to whine but damn, I don't think I will be able to beat this one. Anyone else beat this game? (the real one or Sega Genesis collection for PS3) If so please tell me how before I smash it :x Arrrrrrrrrrrr :D

I totally agree, this is a crappy game all around. Just another Tetris/Columns/whathaveyou clone. (And yeah, I know it was called Puyo Puyo before this, but still). This and Flicky could have taken a hike, and they could have included Sword of Vermillion instead.

You can enter in a 4 bean code to select levels if that will help you.

Should be Yellow Bean, "Little Score Guy", Blue Bean, Blue Bean. To take you to the last stage.

After that you simply have to combo the crap out of him. (Actually I think it's more luck than anything else)

I beat him after a a half dozen attempts, give or take.

its not a crappy game, it is an awesome game. combos and chains can be manipulated far easier than in the game columns

its not hard to make a quick 5-combo and win any match against the computer

here is how to do it

make five columns of three same colored beans along the bottom, leave the far right column empty. on top of these columns place a single bean that matches the color of the colored stack to the left. it is hard to describe so here is an attempt at a chart

B = Blue

R = Red

G = Green

Y = Yellow

X = any other color that does not make a chain

+ = empty

X-B-G-R-Y-+

B-G-R-Y-R-+

B-G-R-Y-R-+

B-G-R-Y-R-+

once all five columns are finished, slip a Red bean in the empty column, the yellow bean on top will fall and trigger the next group, then the next Red bean will fall, until the fifth group.

X-B-G-R-+-+

B-G-R-Y-+-+

B-G-R-Y-+-+

B-G-R-Y-Y-+

X-B-G-+-+-+

B-G-R-+-+-+

B-G-R-+-+-+

B-G-R-R-+-+

X-B-+-+-+-+

B-G-+-+-+-+

B-G-+-+-+-+

B-G-G-+-+-+

X-+-+-+-+-+

B-+-+-+-+-+

B-+-+-+-+-+

B-B-+-+-+-+

in Mean Bean Machine a five chain combo will almost always be enough to defeat a computer opponent as there are no counter-chains like in later Puyo Puyo games

of course, random beans will not always agree with a perfect pattern, but the cap bean (the bean that triggers the next chain) does not have to be directly on top of the column of three beans. it can be up to three beans away from the colored column to trigger a chain. the far left column is also a great dumping ground for unhelpful bean. and once a column and cap are complete, beans can also be dumped on top.

X-X-G-R-X-+

X-B-X-X-X-+

X-X-X-X-Y-+

B-G-R-Y-R-+

B-G-R-Y-R-+

B-G-R-Y-R-+

like i said, its a bit difficult to put the process into a one page description on a message board, but that is how you put together a quick chain in puyo puyo

Edited by chrisbid

I totally agree, this is a crappy game all around. Just another Tetris/Columns/whathaveyou clone. (And yeah, I know it was called Puyo Puyo before this, but still). This and Flicky could have taken a hike, and they could have included Sword of Vermillion instead.

Flicky is like paradise compared to mean bean machine - lol

its not a crappy game, it is an awesome game. combos and chains can be manipulated far easier than in the game columns

its not hard to make a quick 5-combo and win any match against the computer

here is how to do it

make five columns of three same colored beans along the bottom, leave the far right column empty. on top of these columns place a single bean that matches the color of the colored stack to the left. it is hard to describe so here is an attempt at a chart

B = Blue

R = Red

G = Green

Y = Yellow

X = any other color that does not make a chain

+ = empty

X-B-G-R-Y-+

B-G-R-Y-R-+

B-G-R-Y-R-+

B-G-R-Y-R-+

once all five columns are finished, slip a Red bean in the empty column, the yellow bean on top will fall and trigger the next group, then the next Red bean will fall, until the fifth group.

X-B-G-R-+-+

B-G-R-Y-+-+

B-G-R-Y-+-+

B-G-R-Y-Y-+

X-B-G-+-+-+

B-G-R-+-+-+

B-G-R-+-+-+

B-G-R-R-+-+

X-B-+-+-+-+

B-G-+-+-+-+

B-G-+-+-+-+

B-G-G-+-+-+

X-+-+-+-+-+

B-+-+-+-+-+

B-+-+-+-+-+

B-B-+-+-+-+

in Mean Bean Machine a five chain combo will almost always be enough to defeat a computer opponent as there are no counter-chains like in later Puyo Puyo games

of course, random beans will not always agree with a perfect pattern, but the cap bean (the bean that triggers the next chain) does not have to be directly on top of the column of three beans. it can be up to three beans away from the colored column to trigger a chain. the far left column is also a great dumping ground for unhelpful bean. and once a column and cap are complete, beans can also be dumped on top.

X-X-G-R-X-+

X-B-X-X-X-+

X-X-X-X-Y-+

B-G-R-Y-R-+

B-G-R-Y-R-+

B-G-R-Y-R-+

like i said, its a bit difficult to put the process into a one page description on a message board, but that is how you put together a quick chain in puyo puyo

I get what you are saying and I am excited to give it a try. Not sure you will be able to convince me it's a fun game but maybe I won't totally hate it if I could actually get somewhere. Thanks for taking the time to explain it and I will give it a shot this weekend when I have a solid hour or so to dedicate to it :) :) :)

If this technique goes well maybe I can give the puyo pop series another try as well. Thats another one of those games that gets way to difficult, way to soon.

• 4 months later...

I've actually beat this game on the genesis. The trick is to set up big combos, and then set them off. Do this enough times, and the enemy's column will overflow and you'll win the round.

Why not just play the one-player version without the CPU opponent? I enjoy Puyo Pop Fever for the DS, trying to beat my own high scores with the built-in save. Of course, MBM on the Genesis is a little bit different, as there's no way to save your high scores. That being said, I think I'll get it out and give it a play.

Why not just play the one-player version without the CPU opponent? I enjoy Puyo Pop Fever for the DS, trying to beat my own high scores with the built-in save. Of course, MBM on the Genesis is a little bit different, as there's no way to save your high scores. That being said, I think I'll get it out and give it a play.

I thought they'd be all the same, but MBM is a lot harder than Puyo Pop Fever. Now I'll have to see what Kirby's Avalanche's degree of difficulty is.

The trophy is easy, just use the code to do the final level, make a save state, and keep reloading. Every once in a while you win very quickly with a bit of luck and the AI screwing up. You'll basically be gifted it after trying it a few times from my experience.

One thing I hate about Puyo Puyo is how repetitive it is. Crazy Climber explained it perfectly. Having to just set up some boring combo chain doesn't sound like a lot of fun.

Now Panel De Pon (Tetris Attack in the US), THAT game was something awesome. It finally made chains and combos easy to do but challenging to do quickly under a lot of pressure.

• 4 years later...

Thread bump!

I'm normally okay with the Puyo Puyo series- I used to keep my keys on a Puyolin LCD game- but this one just stinks. The decision to turn it into a tie-in with the Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog cartoon (that really badly animated one shown on weekdays) is aggravating, and the final stage is too damn fast for anyone with human reflexes to enjoy. Once the bin fills up, beans drop so fast that you have no time to turn them or set them where you need them. I was having so much fun knocking down achievements until I reached this game... now I'm running dangerously low on patience. I didn't throw a controller at the television screen, but I did do something rather rude to it involving my bare ass. (The less said about that, the better.)

Anyway. I'll try the combo chain technique outlined by ChrisBid; at this point I'd try just about anything. However, what would you suggest I do with beans I can't use, or Robotnik's reprehensible refugee beans? It doesn't take long for that fat Teddy Roosevelt-looking bastard to throw a wrench in the works and ruin any attempts at lengthy combo chains.

Anyway. I'll try the combo chain technique outlined by ChrisBid; at this point I'd try just about anything.

Did you do what I suggested in post 17?

It was the advice I was given years ago and I doubt I had to reload my save state more than 10 times before the AI suddenly played the round far worse than even I could and sure enough all but gifted it to me like I was told would happen. And I doubt I have 30 minutes total invested in the original Genesis game or subsequent rereleases spread over all these years and have never played any other Puyo Puyo game.

I'm not sure it's winnable when the AI opponent is playing well, but then again, I'm not a puzzle fan let alone an expert player at them so what seems impossible to me likely isn't to some. Sega Rally Online Arcade on XBLA/PSN is another with AI like this. Usually the AI driver is untouchable on the final course. But every 4 or 5 attempts, he's suddenly human and can be kept up with and beat with relative ease.

This Genesis game has something similar that randomizes the AI strength. You just need to keep reloading until the luck of the draw is on your side. Just make sure to create a save state to minimize the hassle (But make it at a point early enough where the AI randomizer hasn't yet determined what the AI is set at so you're not just reloading to the same situation every time).

Edited by Atariboy

I've heard some people say this; I just don't want to keep repeating the stage in the hope that Robotnik will finally show me mercy. (Also, it's still too fast!)

No matter, though. I finally beat Robutthole with constant save state abuse, and now I never have to play the game again! Free at last, bwa ha haaaa!

I think I felt the same way when I finally did it. :)

I've heard some people say this; I just don't want to keep repeating the stage in the hope that Robotnik will finally show me mercy. (Also, it's still too fast!)

Thankfully at least for anyone struggling that comes across this thread in the future, when the AI is on its game, it's over quick. Combined with a well placed save state for easy restarting, multiple attempts shouldn't be too terribly time consuming or annoying with a bit of luck.

One thing I think I did was to not even try to play correctly since it was just too fast to keep up with. I just tried to maximize the use of my storage capacity and was able to start getting a fair number of combos (And chain reactions after many of them as new combos appeared due to the previous) as my playfield started to fill up.

That, combined with some luck with the AI setting, bought me enough time for the AI to lose the round as it struggled to play properly.

Edited by Atariboy