IGNORED

Worst/Most Annoying Atari 8 bit game!

Atari8guy

Everyone is always listing there fav's.....I'm curious to know what people's worst, most annoying or most disappointing game was.

For me it was way back in the early 80's when my father told me if I could save 5 weeks allowance he would pitch in the rest and I could get Galaxian. So I did, I sacraficed all my trips to the candy store, didn't buy any hockey cards or stickers (when Gretzky was in his prime!!!!) for five whole weeks only to get Galaxian and realize it wasn't Galaga....No ship came down and conviently captured my ship so I could double up on the attack. Galaga was (and is) one of my all time fav. arcade games. Galaxian sucks!!! lol. Did anyone ever port Galaga over to the Atari?

Anyway, I'm curious to know what others' worst games are?

Hard to say. Any game I didn't like, I tended not to bother going back for another look.

Cosmi had some utter shockers.

There was also this game - I think it was called "Final Flight". I remember not knowing the controls, but the game itself being an utter POC, so not worth trying to learn.

I can also remember one or two Q~Bert "clones" being utter crap. One of them insisted on diagonals only, so was an utter pain to play.

From Atari themselves, I'd have to put Galaxian and Kangaroo right down near the bottom of their list.

In my experience the worst games were from the early 90s from various small german software producers like KE-Soft and PowerPerPost. In the catalouges these games were advertised to be revolutionary hi-tech games. For instance KE-SOFT sold games like "Techno Ninja" which obviously was inspired by the great Turrican. When you raise expecations that high the following disappointment is really extreme. The game "Logistik" was a clone from the famous Rainbow Arts Amiga title "Logistics" and was nothing more than a cheap 4-coloured copy of a great game. All these games came always with monochrome-paper copy manuals on yellow or red paper without anything "shiny" like in the good old times times, when games where distributed with colorful maps, extras, paper boxes and registration cards. well - I could have saved soo much money when I was a teen. But I spend my pocket money and waited weeks over weeks just to get ripped off again for the next cheap title.

but also in 80s I had similiar experiences:

When my grandmommy went to West Berlin she usually bought me some Atari games on tape. Considering that I got such a game every 8-12 month I could not sleep well weeks ahead when my grandmommy finally came to visit the family. I remember that she bought me the game "Escape from Doomworld". A game which you must hate only by the screenshots. not to speak about the gameplay... what a waste :)

Techno Ninja:

http://atari.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=4517

Logistik:

http://atari.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=4151

Escape From Doomworld:

http://atari.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=1819

grtx,

\twh

Don't agree with Tecno Ninja. IMO the game is great. I've several times managed to finish it. Later i relalized that it was written in Turbo Basic and compiled. Well - in my opinion it's the best (or at least one of the best platform-games written in TB). Don't remember now if the games used savegame-feature. If not - it's probably its only fault.

Edit: I have own only unprotected version of it - of course without any manual/box/maps/etc. so maybe because of that my view is different. :)

Edited by miker

Everyone is always listing there fav's.....I'm curious to know what people's worst, most annoying or most disappointing game was.

For me it was way back in the early 80's when my father told me if I could save 5 weeks allowance he would pitch in the rest and I could get Galaxian. So I did, I sacraficed all my trips to the candy store, didn't buy any hockey cards or stickers (when Gretzky was in his prime!!!!) for five whole weeks only to get Galaxian and realize it wasn't Galaga....No ship came down and conviently captured my ship so I could double up on the attack. Galaga was (and is) one of my all time fav. arcade games. Galaxian sucks!!! lol. Did anyone ever port Galaga over to the Atari?

Anyway, I'm curious to know what others' worst games are?

Talladega and Green Beret is the first that comes to mind for me ... Awful games

From Atari themselves, I'd have to put Galaxian and Kangaroo right down near the bottom of their list.

Wow, I ADORED 'Kangaroo' and played the hell out of that game! Funny how one man's trash... etc., etc.

I remember a lot of Dynacomp games being pretty terrible (thus the frequent use of the adjusted moniker: "DynaCRAP"!)

Thunderfox. No contest. I love shooters but the difficulty and complexity out of the gate made this absolutely brutal to play.

Yeah that's true. Thunderfox is one of the few games I can think of where I died after only 3 seconds.

Tempest

IMO Last V8 and any (broken) Mastertronic's release.

I'm in total agreement with this.

Care to elaborate? The screenshots look pretty cool.

Tempest

It's almost unplayable for me. I remember buying it and being seriously let down. I've seen a vid on YouTube of someone completing it (possibly the 64 version) and I'm in awe. It has to be one of the hardest games to control ever.

I just got Fortune Hunter by Romox and it's pretty bad. The game is an interesting looking Venture rip off, but it plays v.e.r.y s.l.o.o.o.w.l.y and the controls are absolute crap. Too bad, because I like Venture and it was never ported to the 8-bits. Oh well, at least it's really rare.

Tempest

Both Thunderfox and last v8 are very hard games, i wouldn't say they were 'annoying'

My list of the worst games are...anything coded or programmed by Steven McIllwie (including the A8 version of Ocean's HUNCHBACK, actually written in basic by the same peep)

And rampage by activision (probably the worst game they ever released for the a8)

IMO Last V8 and any (broken) Mastertronic's release.

I'm in total agreement with this.

Care to elaborate? The screenshots look pretty cool.

Tempest

It's almost unplayable for me. I remember buying it and being seriously let down. I've seen a vid on YouTube of someone completing it (possibly the 64 version) and I'm in awe. It has to be one of the hardest games to control ever.

Actually next to Galaxian I agree with the Last V8, so hard.....IIRC I made it past the first phase...1 time. 1 time only...and not for lack of trying.

Don't agree with Tecno Ninja. IMO the game is great.

hey Miker,

do you come to the Forever party in Trencin? If so, then I'm forcing you to play through all the levels!! And I gonna have a beer in my hands! I watch you carefully how much fun you have in the same time when I enjoy my fine slovak beer :)

grtx,

\twh

Well,

mine are:

- Hunter distributed by PPP (programmed by CondorSoft), a simple shooter game written in Atari Basic and so bad in gfx and gameplay wise that any PD game is much better than that...

- Red Max and Last V8, thank you Codemasters for using approx. 66% of the screen for still pictures (looks great, especially on the screenshots at the backside of the tape, but it is not needed for the game)... and only 33% for the game itself...

- Amaurote by Mastertronic, has great gfx and nice music, but for me it has an awful gameplay and I always died and died and died and...

- Mission Zircon, since it was advertised as the sequel to Zybex, which it is not in any case...

- Enrico 1+2, distributed by PPP, well the game has so bad graphics, but believe it or not, it was advertised as being a Super Mario Clone...?!? Err, what ?!?

- all Games by General Masters Corp.

- Thunderfox by Atari

- Desert Falcon by Atari

and many more, which I do not remember right now... -Andreas Koch.

What - no Congo Bongo? Zaxxon?

Zaxxon was pretty good and VERY playable. The final confrontation with the robot was a bit broken though as all you had to do is shoot fast and he'd be destroyed (no strategy required).

Congo Bongo on the other hand... For the love of god I can't remember why I loved this game as a kid. I used to borrow it from my friend all the time (along with DK Jr.). The Atari version looks pretty decent (too much tan though), but the collision detection is seriously buggy. The first board is pretty easy, but the second one is nearly impossible due to you never knowing if you're going to fall off the animals if you move even slightly. It's beatable (I've done it numerous times) but it's really not all that fun due to the frustration factor. I guess I didn't notice it only had two levels because of the difficulty of beating it consistantly. Then again it wasn't until I played it on the Apple II years later (great conversion BTW) that I realized that I had been gypped two levels!

I always wished that someone would make a game that looked and played a bit like the first level of Congo Bongo. More levels like that would have been fun!

Tempest

There was someone in this thread talking about KE-Soft. I really do not agree about that. I have The Brundles from KE-Soft, and that one is really FAN-TAS-TIC. It is one of the nicest 'lemmings' versions I have ever played.

Does anyone know the game STREETS?

It looks fabulous, but it is really too hard to play (without cheating).

And I think Operation Blood is too hard too.

And Jet Set Willy (the original a8 version) s*cks too IMO. The ZX Spectrum port is far better.

Marius