IGNORED

Atari 7800 HSC reloaded Round 12 "Pole Position II"

darthkur

I wonder what the max score one could get on this track? It can't be no more than 72,000 can it?

75,000 is the record on TG. 72,950 is #2... so, I guess there is room for improvement.

Seems to be some luck involved. You lose time when there's cars blocking the road. But if somebody is better at squeezing between them they'll be faster vs going in the grass (which is what I have to do half the time).

I'd have to agree. It seems some games there's a plethora of cars that are side by side blocking you path while other times they're stacked just right to zigzag between them.

Yeah its alot better to squeeze by them if you can but I found if its on a bad turn it may be easier just to hit the grass and quickly swerve back. Dag nabbit i'm no longer in first looks like its back to getting my hand to cramp again. :P

I've found the hardest turn is turn 4. How do some of you handle this turn. When I know its coming up I get as close on the left as I can then gun it hard left running a little into the grass then I should be able to take the rest of the turn without worrying about crashing into a sign on the right. Only problem with this is when there are cars there it screws that tech. up.

I've found the hardest turn is turn 4. How do some of you handle this turn. When I know its coming up I get as close on the left as I can then gun it hard left running a little into the grass then I should be able to take the rest of the turn without worrying about crashing into a sign on the right. Only problem with this is when there are cars there it screws that tech. up.

I handle it the same way you do and hope a car doesn't show up. If someone has a better suggestion, I'd love to hear it! :)

Also, what speed do you shift from Lo to Hi gear? I usually do at about 80-100 MPH.

I handle it the same way you do and hope a car doesn't show up. If someone has a better suggestion, I'd love to hear it! :)

Also, what speed do you shift from Lo to Hi gear? I usually do at about 80-100 MPH.

156ish since Lo seems to max out around 160.

I've found the hardest turn is turn 4. How do some of you handle this turn.

When I start to approach that turn I hit the brakes for a second then cut left but trying to keep in the middle of the road in case there's a car on either side. If I'm still heading into the curve too fast after that I'll down shift for a moment or two. Yeah you'll lose some time but not nearly as much as you would if you crash.

I usually shift by the sound of the engine, just like in an actual standard transmission vehicle. It's something you just have a feel for. I know that's probably not all too helpful. :ponder:

I believe my best qualifying lap was 56:37. I regularly finish with 61 units remaining... I keep trying for 62, but I'm not sure it's possible.

Wow, that's great. I still hope to break into the 57's.

I never looked to see what my qualifying lap times were. I'll have to take a look at that the next time i play.

Edited by roadrunner

156ish since Lo seems to max out around 160.

I used to shift late, but when I was playing I experimented with shifting sooner. I got in the habit of shifting at 120 instead. I noticed the speed picks up quickly after shifting so I think this is faster. But I don't know what's ideal.

... these scores are getting insane. I seriously doubt I can improve that much, but it's worth a try.

Edited by gdement

And here you thought you would not do any better. Good Job.

Thanks! I'm still trying to do better, i haven't quit.

Has anybody ever crashed at the end of the qualifying lap. That's happened to me quite a few times.

I'm glad we're not racing the Suzuka track. That track is very difficult.

And here you thought you would not do any better. Good Job.

Thanks! I'm still trying to do better, i haven't quit.

Has anybody ever crashed at the end of the qualifying lap. That's happened to me quite a few times.

I'm glad we're not racing the Suzuka track. That track is very difficult.

You're putting up some great times... don't know if I'll be able to catch up to you. :)

I've crashed a couple times after the finish line on the qualifying lap.

^^^^ WOW!!! :-o

You only saved 1 picture? I think i would have saved more if that was my score. Good luck to anybody who can beat that awesome score.

Thanks!

Yeah, I only saved one... but, if that score holds up I might have it framed! :D There's still a week left, so I'm sure you guys will make a good run at it!