IGNORED

What is the best Indiana Jones video game?

Rhindle The Red

What is the best Indiana Jones video game?  

113 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best Indiana Jones video game?

• Raiders of the Lost Ark (2600), 1981
    • Indiana Jones in the Lost Kingdom (C64), 1984
    • Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (NES), 1985
    • Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doon (Arcade), 1985
    • Indiana Jones in Revenge of the Ancients (Apple II / PC), 1987
    • Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade: The Action Game (Multiple), 1989
    • Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade: The Graphic Adventure (Multiple), 1989
    • Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (NES), 1991
    • Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (Multiple), 1992
    • Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis: The Action Game (Multiple), 1992
    • The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles (NES), 1992
    • Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (NES), 1993
    • Indiana Jones' Greatest Adventures (SNES), 1994
    • Instruments of Chaos starring Young Indiana Jones (Genesis), 1994
    • Indiana Jones and his Desktop Adventures (PC / Mac), 1996
    • Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine (PC / N64), 1999 / 2000
    • Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine (GBC), 2001
    • Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb (Multiple), 2003
    • Lego Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures (Multiple), 2008

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

With the recent release of the fourth film in the series and the upcoming new game, Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings, I thought it was about time to look back on the previous games based on this popular character.

Quite a wide range of play styles on many different platforms. Which is your favorite?

I spend a lot of time with 2600 Raiders back in the day, and Fate of Atlantis was fun also, but my vote has to go to the Atari arcade game, Temple of Doom. Great use of the classic Indiana Jones music, sound clips from the film, and fast, fun gameplay. It gets a lot of play on my MAME cab.

The only one on the list I ever played was Raiders. I always wanted to try Infernal Machine and Emperor's Tomb on my PC though.

Question to those who played LEGO:

Is it similar in style to the Star Wars games, as in it's sort of tongue in cheek and let's you fool around with the environments?

Is it similar in style to the Star Wars games, as in it's sort of tongue in cheek and let's you fool around with the environments?

Yes, it's basically more of the same. Of course, the action fits the Indy-verse, so there's no characters comparable to the Jedi. One significant advancement is that characters have tools and can pick up the tools of others. So there might be a puzzle that requires digging. If you have Sallah or some other character with a shovel, you can just do it. But if you don't you might be able to find a shovel and use it with any character.

Of course, there are only three "episodes", so it might seem short if your only experience is with "The Complete Saga". There's also the problem of a lot of characters that just aren't individual enough. How many different German soldiers do you need?

Still, there's lots of fun to be had and if you are an Indy fan it's well worth it. There's even an unlockable Han Solo and a few other Star Wars references scattered throughout.

Wow...so many Indy games...so many I haven't played. And I call myself a fan. :roll: Here are the ones that stand out in my mind. Raiders on the 2600 took every waking hour from me. For months. I still love that game. After I dropped so many quarters in the arcade Temple of Doom...the NES version was a godsend. Though looking at it a couple of years ago, it didn't hold up for me. That's why I have the arcade sitting in my living room. I know I played Revenge of the Ancients (Apple II) a lot, but I can't for the life of me remember it now. The LEGO game is very good. I waited in line for that one. Took it home and alllllmmmmooooosssssttttt stayed awake until I beat it with no help. I fell asleep a couple of hours short of the end. Guess I'm getting old. Always wanted to give Fate of Atlantis a try but could never find it. How is it?

I'll have to think about it before casting a vote, but it's got to be Raiders (2600) or TOD (arcade) for me.

Yes, it's basically more of the same. Of course, the action fits the Indy-verse, so there's no characters comparable to the Jedi. One significant advancement is that characters have tools and can pick up the tools of others. So there might be a puzzle that requires digging. If you have Sallah or some other character with a shovel, you can just do it. But if you don't you might be able to find a shovel and use it with any character.

Of course, there are only three "episodes", so it might seem short if your only experience is with "The Complete Saga". There's also the problem of a lot of characters that just aren't individual enough. How many different German soldiers do you need?

Still, there's lots of fun to be had and if you are an Indy fan it's well worth it. There's even an unlockable Han Solo and a few other Star Wars references scattered throughout.

I see...though shorter length is good for me since I really don't have a ton of time to devote to my games. I remember the same thing in regards to multiple characters of the same type in the Star Wars game too...especially the prequel game...how many clone troopers did they need? (I know, they were created to sell more toys...)

I spend a lot of time with 2600 Raiders back in the day, and Fate of Atlantis was fun also, but my vote has to go to the Atari arcade game, Temple of Doom. Great use of the classic Indiana Jones music, sound clips from the film, and fast, fun gameplay. It gets a lot of play on my MAME cab.

I second that... I actually own tihis and it never gets tiresome to play!!!! My second is Fate of the Atlantis, one of the best "point and click" games ever made!

I see...though shorter length is good for me since I really don't have a ton of time to devote to my games. I remember the same thing in regards to multiple characters of the same type in the Star Wars game too...especially the prequel game...how many clone troopers did they need?

The repetition in characters problem is still worse in Lego Indy, though. For instance, in the original Lego Star Wars, there were three Obi-Wan Kenobis, but they looked very different. (Padawan, Knight, Master) But the three Indys look so similar, it's hard to tell them apart. But that's the nature of Indy vs. Star Wars; less variety. But if you liked Lego Star Wars, I would still recommend Lego Indy.

I went for the arcade temple of doom. What a monumental game for me. I always ran straight to it at the arcade and played the hell out of it. I was sad when it was replaced with a TMNT :( That is one of the very few (under 10) arcade machines I will buy no matter what my current space situation is, I don't care if I have no room, I'll cut a hole in my wall - lol

The xbox version is a close second, very underated game in my opinion.

The 2600 version is the one I easily spent the most time with but outside of nostalgia, I rarely get in to it anymore.

Although I've only played maybe three or so Jones games, I gotta go with Fate of Atlantis. I bought this one as part of a set for my Mac several years back and played the heck out of it. It actually feels like you're playing an Indiana Jones movie. It has puzzles, action, humor, depth...I could go on and on. The voice acting is also very well done, as is the case with all LucasArts point'n'click adventures I've played. Great stuff! :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...