IGNORED

Hi! question about the Atari - Jr. Pac-Man discovered!

FrauBlucha

Download Stella (for Windows/OSX/Linux):

For a 7800 ROM? Don'tcha mean MESS, or something similar? <grin>

There's more info here:

http://www.atariage.com/7800/emulation/ind...l?SystemID=7800

You will also need the OS ROM to use the emulator - available at the link above.

-Ian

Yeah, sorry, total brain f@rt. I was just trying to beat you to a post for a change, and it backfired :)

Speaking of the Copyright date - it says 1984. Which means if it's accurate. Atari would have had it in this near final prototype at teh Original 1984 shout-launch of the 7800, and definitely by the wide release in 1987, yet they never released it? But they did release Jr. fo the 2600 - in 1987, Not 1984.

curious, indeed.

Jr. Pac-Man was originally programmed and intended to be released for all Atari systems in 1984.

The 2600, 5200, 7800, and computers, they were all going to get the game really.

For the "original" 1984 launch of the Atari 7800, Jr. Pac-Man was assigned CX7813.

(clearly among the first generation software / launch titles)

So it is actually MORE accurate that the copyright says 1984 rather then 1987.

(but of course a well thought out prankster would have known this information as well, if that is what this is)

It seems more believable though that this is a real genuine proto rather then a homebrew.

It would also, however, be the best way to prove to everyone that with today's technology,

it can be nearly impossible to tell the difference. And this in reality, is perhaps the most siginificant realization

in this thread, and one that both scares me (for fear of its ability to deceive) as well as disappoints me (for

its potential to in essence "diminish" the value of future protos) if/when they are "found".

On the positive side, yes, either way, it looks excellent.

hello

sorry for the delay but i'm not waiting any longer. never heard again from the person who was going to purchase it. i can't get it to work with any amulator so i am posting it here for you guys to see if you can get it working.

al said something about it needed to be padded so that emulators will see it correctly. i don't know, i cant get it to run.

thanks, everyone

Dylan

JRPAC_78.A78

hello

sorry for the delay but i'm not waiting any longer. never heard again from the person who was going to purchase it. i can't get it to work with any amulator so i am posting it here for you guys to see if you can get it working.

al said something about it needed to be padded so that emulators will see it correctly. i don't know, i cant get it to run.

thanks, everyone

Dylan

THANK YOU!!!!! YOU ROCK!!!

It works just fine as-is as far as I can tell... at least I'm playing it right now. On Windows, use the ProSystem emulator:

https://home.comcast.net/~gscottstanton/

then, just go to File->Open, point to the ROM file and there you go!

Wow!

Going to play for a bit now.

hello

thanks, everyone

Dylan

Dylan, you officially rock!

I dont' care if this was a ruse, or for reals. :D

I haven't had a chance to run this in an emulator yet. Can someone please post a bunch of screenshots I can use for a database entry here?

Thanks!

..Al

post-16769-1238593565_thumb.jpg

post-16769-1238593574_thumb.jpg

post-16769-1238593582_thumb.jpg

Yes, I died on purpose to try to catch the animation, I don't suck that badly! I may post more if I get time to get farther into the game, or someone else can.

Yes, I died on purpose to try to catch the animation, I don't suck that badly! I may post more if I get time to get farther into the game, or someone else can.

Thanks for the screenshots! Can you take shots that aren't blown up with filtering of some type? These shots are a bit blurry as if bilinear (or some other) filtering was applied to them. Would love to see some of later levels as well. :)

..Al

The fact that Al has dumped it to rom, but hasn't released it (but runs a site that hosts 1,000's of other roms he doesn't really have permission to release roms from)

FREE ROMZ DUDE!!!111!!

It's always the same, "give me - give me - give me", I hope he doesn't release it at all or it doesn't work on emulators. :roll:

Why on Earth would you hope for that? It really makes no sense. I can understand not liking an entitlement attitude, but why punish everyone unnecessarily for that?

Punish? How would that be punishment? You are getting something you really don't have any right to actually.

The only punishment here is propbaly the deveolper never getting paid for the work he/she did on this.

hello

thanks, everyone

Dylan

Sweet! Thanks :)

The fact that Al has dumped it to rom, but hasn't released it (but runs a site that hosts 1,000's of other roms he doesn't really have permission to release roms from)

FREE ROMZ DUDE!!!111!!

It's always the same, "give me - give me - give me", I hope he doesn't release it at all or it doesn't work on emulators. :roll:

Why on Earth would you hope for that? It really makes no sense. I can understand not liking an entitlement attitude, but why punish everyone unnecessarily for that?

Punish? How would that be punishment? You are getting something you really don't have any right to actually.

The only punishment here is propbaly the deveolper never getting paid for the work he/she did on this.

Atari paid GCC for all their work. We know this. Atari never released this game, so it was never a commercially viable product. therefore, no one is losing anything by the ROM being made public, because there's no way to gauge what it "might" have made, had it been released.

Edited by Underball

Thanks for the screenshots! Can you take shots that aren't blown up with filtering of some type? These shots are a bit blurry as if bilinear (or some other) filtering was applied to them. Would love to see some of later levels as well. :)

..Al

Oh yeah, sorry! The only way I can figure out to get ProSystem to not do that is to play with the little tiny screen.

It keeps locking up for me when I clear the first level. I hope this is just an issue for me and not anyone else.

The game plays great though.

Here's some regular size shots:

post-16769-1238594658_thumb.jpg

post-16769-1238594668_thumb.jpg

post-16769-1238594679_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mirage1972

It keeps locking up for me when I clear the first level. I hope this is just an issue for me and not anyone else.

I was able to play past the first level with the actual board on a real 7800 (which I did in the video I posted earlier)..

..Al

I posted some new shots above, so did someone else. I'll try to get past level 1 again now.

I was able to play past the first level with the actual board on a real 7800 (which I did in the video I posted earlier)..

..Al

I posted some new shots above, so did someone else. I'll try to get past level 1 again now.

Locked up for me also after the first level using MacMess. It played much faster than the arcade version as was also stated earlier.

Can anyone confirm that it plays better in ProSystem?

Edited by aftermac