IGNORED

What!?

moycon

http://www.videogamesblogger.com/2007/03/1...o-microsoft.htm

While Sony already admitted to be thinking about the PlayStation 4 and Nintendo are no doubt developing a Wii 2… In an interview with the head of Microsoft’s Interactive Entertainment Business division, Peter Moore, EGM magazine asked him when their next video game console

would come out, and also asked if they’d drop support for the Xbox 360 like they did with the original Xbox. He said that they were going to support it “as long as it sold.” Possibly because they saw the Xbox sell well into 2007 despite not producing the console after October 2005.

I realize this is just someones blog and nothing in it should be taken as gospel, (Although he stated Sony admitted as much he didn't provide any proof) but I was under the impression that the PS3 was going to have a lifespan of at least a decade. Am I dreaming that's what was said?? I could have sworn (and I may be wrong) we were told we had to wait an extra year for the PS3 because it was going to be the kick ass state of the art gaming/entertainment device that was going to break the mold and be so super awesome that we wouldn't think of replacing it for years and years and now 2 years later Sony is thinking it's time to move on. Man I certainly hope this is a bunch of BS.

You were not imagining things, I read the same stuff. Over the last few months there has been a ton of speculation that Sony is working on the PS4, and Sony has denied it at least twice. Sony has recently said that the PS3 probably won't last 10 years, but they're expecting at least 7-8.

Edited by akator

As soon as a new console is released a new one is started on right away. All of them do it.

It will last 10 years just like the ps2 has lasted almost "10 years". Its bullshit from Sony and anyone who says they are not working on a console.

As a matter of fact most bullshit comes from game journalism and videogame blogs. In the past year or so, since I've been reading I have learned to never take any game news\gossip too seriously anymore. Lots of crap out there.

Yes, it's the 10 year rule the ps2 promised (and probably will uphold). All it means is that they won't just say "sorry, no more games.. no more systems" and pull the cord on their systems. Which is kinda nice honestly, as I think XBOX and the GC kinda gave up early on their systems, which could have been cheaper alternatives like the PS2.

I'd be VERY surprised if ANY computer, video game or not, would last 10 years without having a sequel released within that time period.

As soon as a new console is released a new one is started on right away. All of them do it.

I realize any manufacture of any product is going to be looking towards the future, especially if their product is popular.

It's been 2 freaking years and their already putting the word out?

I don't recall Sony saying they were thinking about the PS3 two years after the PS2 was released, what I recall at that time was reading about upcoming PS2 releases and drooling. (Honestly I didn't even seriously buy PS2 games till the second year it was out and the GOOD stuff was starting to be released) and I certainly don't recall a console maker going so far out of their way to convince me that their system was going to be the... end all, greatest thing since sliced bread, throw all your other video game system in the trash, WAIT A YEAR AND PAY $100's MORE BECAUSE IT"LL ALL BE WORTH IT!!!!! and you won't be disappointed... do you remember that in regards to the PS2??? Maybe I'm confused?

Personally, This propaganda touting the next SUPER console was new to me but I bought into it as you can see...

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=82613

That was back when we were told the PS3 would be released in 3 colors.

Don't get me wrong. I think the PS3 is a kick ass powerful system, I honestly think the graphics are superior to the 360, and I think its reliable and quiet (compared to the 360) but it seems every time I try to get overly excited about the damn thing, something happens or a I read something that makes me go...WHAT THE F*CK SONY!!??

Yes DaytonaUSA I realize where the PS2 is right now. I'm not talking about the PS2 (an uber popular system by the way) this is the PS3 I'm talking about. It doesn't matter what would surprise you or anyone, I'm talking about what was TOLD to us before this thing was release. Now do you see my point? Just kinda pisses me off is all. I guess it shouldn't eh? We get lied to all the time.

Edited by moycon

Great though the PS3 is, do you really think it'll still be impressive in 8 years time?

That's what I was told before it was released.

I'm sure I could post dozens of links supporting this.

My guess is maybe the PS3 isn't doing as well as Sony had hoped and maybe Blu-Ray isn't taking off as fast as Sony had hoped.

I guess the economy has a lot to do with that, but still, just kind of caught me off guard doing a 180 so fast.

Actually it shouldn't have, like I said, that's just some guys blog, I guess just because Sony is thinking of the PS4 doesn't mean much of anything. Now if they announce it's going to be released in 2011, then I might get perturbed.

The date on that article is two years ago. Every company looks to their next product as soon as they can. They don't just sit on their butts not seeing if they can come up with something better if they think they can sell it.

A year later he published this

Edited by HammR25

As a matter of fact most bullshit comes from game journalism and videogame blogs. In the past year or so, since I've been reading I have learned to never take any game news\gossip too seriously anymore. Lots of crap out there.

Yep.

That's what I was told before it was released.

I'm sure I could post dozens of links supporting this.

My guess is maybe the PS3 isn't doing as well as Sony had hoped and maybe Blu-Ray isn't taking off as fast as Sony had hoped.

I guess the economy has a lot to do with that, but still, just kind of caught me off guard doing a 180 so fast.

Actually it shouldn't have, like I said, that's just some guys blog, I guess just because Sony is thinking of the PS4 doesn't mean much of anything. Now if they announce it's going to be released in 2011, then I might get perturbed.

Computer technology has always moved along at a frightening rate. There is no way ever that a computer can still compete after 10 years. Ignore what Sony (and every other company) say. If consoles were to last 10 years, the Dreamcast would still be cutting edge today. Sure, the PS3 might still be around in 8 more years, but it'll be the cheap, cruddy little console that the kids play their movie-license games on.

Computer technology has always moved along at a frightening rate. There is no way ever that a computer can still compete after 10 years. Ignore what Sony (and every other company) say. If consoles were to last 10 years, the Dreamcast would still be cutting edge today. Sure, the PS3 might still be around in 8 more years, but it'll be the cheap, cruddy little console that the kids play their movie-license games on.

Yeah I know exactly how it's worked in the past. I started playing video games on the 2600 and have followed them ever since. Based on that past knowledge, I just felt like they just sure went out of the way to get the word out that the PS3 was going to be different in terms of longevity and support, that was how they were justifying the higher cost. No biggie, like I said that statement that they were already planning the PS4, just kind of caught me off guard.

I heard SCEE president David Reeves dropped the ten year estimate down to eight. It's a surprisingly honest admission from Sony, which has spent the last fifteen years making tall promises it couldn't keep.

As for the Xbox 360, I would HOPE that Microsoft will continue to support it! The lifespan of the original Xbox was cut short due to licensing squabbles with Nvidia, but since the new system is owned entirely by Microsoft that shouldn't happen again. RIGHT, Microsoft?! (cracks knuckles)

I heard SCEE president David Reeves dropped the ten year estimate down to eight. It's a surprisingly honest admission from Sony, which has spent the last fifteen years making tall promises it couldn't keep.

As for the Xbox 360, I would HOPE that Microsoft will continue to support it! The lifespan of the original Xbox was cut short due to licensing squabbles with Nvidia, but since the new system is owned entirely by Microsoft that shouldn't happen again. RIGHT, Microsoft?! (cracks knuckles)

It's microsoft. They'll find a way to tick you off, trust me.

It's microsoft. They'll find a way to tick you off, trust me.

Let's not forget the hardware issues....even if it is supported in may years time, you'll still be repurchasing your system....

LMAO... :rolling:

Meanwhile.... Microsoft just announced they are no longer providing suport for the first xbox.. :ponder: