IGNORED

digitize pictures in 8bit style

jahfish

• 2 weeks later...

Do you mean to make a picture look like this?

Go to Image Size in Photoshop and get it to the right size and rez you want. Then go to Mode menu and select Indexed color to limit your colors to four.

Allan

post-187-1238163513_thumb.png

Edited by Allan

It really depends on WHAT mode you're trying to emulate. Amiga HAM mode, for example, won't look much different than the GIFs and JPGs we see online all the time.

Anyway, here's an example. The "after" pic is 160x200 in 16 primary colors; more like C64 or PCjr than Atari 8-bit I guess. Load pic in Photoshop, crop out the part you want, make it 160x200, change the color mode to Indexed, and play with your palette.

BTW To get 160x200 at the right aspect ratio, you have to make your source pic 320x200, then reduce it to 160x200, then blow it back up to 320x200 without interpolating (i.e. it just doubles the pixels). Then you get (apparent) 160x200 at the pixel aspect ratio. So the "after" pic is really 320x200 but "looks" 160x200.

post-2911-1238164093_thumb.jpg

post-2911-1238164097_thumb.png

Edited by monzamess

It really depends on WHAT mode you're trying to emulate. Amiga HAM mode, for example, won't look much different than the GIFs and JPGs we see online all the time.

Anyway, here's an example. The "after" pic is 160x200 in 16 primary colors; more like C64 or PCjr than Atari 8-bit I guess. Load pic in Photoshop, crop out the part you want, make it 160x200, change the color mode to Indexed, and play with your palette.

BTW To get 160x200 at the right aspect ratio, you have to make your source pic 320x200, then reduce it to 160x200, then blow it back up to 320x200 without interpolating (i.e. it just doubles the pixels). Then you get (apparent) 160x200 at the pixel aspect ratio. So the "after" pic is really 320x200 but "looks" 160x200.

i actually have to create a fake game screen for an apple newton ... that will be used in an animation movie, and they want a railway tracks and a few trains on there ... from a birds eye view ...

so it's gonna be all green with different patterns to create the different tones .... not really an easy task ...

i actually have to create a fake game screen for an apple newton ... that will be used in an animation movie, and they want a railway tracks and a few trains on there ... from a birds eye view ...

so it's gonna be all green with different patterns to create the different tones .... not really an easy task ...

Let Photoshop be your friend...Anything is possoible.

I really dont sound to hard..Is it a real photo you r trying to knock down to newton GRFX or a game screen with newton color and rez?

I really dont sound to hard..Is it a real photo you r trying to knock down to newton GRFX or a game screen with newton color and rez?

i have to create a fake game screen so i was hoping to find some plugin that converts pics to those rasterized graphics ... but as you said: photoshop will be my friend today ... i need to deliver this weekend!

i have to create a fake game screen so i was hoping to find some plugin that converts pics to those rasterized graphics ... but as you said: photoshop will be my friend today ... i need to deliver this weekend!

Sorry I have no plugins..So I'd be no help...I just do all my stuff by hand and built in filters...