IGNORED

Atari 7800, Made in USA?

atari52

It is unlikely there is Atari 7800 that has a made in the USA label. The only versions that might are prototype versions of the system.

Everything thing that Atari published or made were from China, Hong Kong, and Twain based on labels from the Tramiel era including game systems.

Edited by 8th lutz

Ya, Thats what I thought too. I Was thinking that, maybe the first run, would be made in the USA.
It is unlikely there is Atari 7800 that has a made in the USA label. The only 7800 systems that might are the ones that were made in 1984.

No, I have an original Warner unit from 1984...it was made in Taiwan.

• 4 weeks later...
Is it true that the Atari 400s, 800s, and early 1200XLs were mfg'd in the USA?

Yes, both my 400 and 800 were made in the US. Some 1200XLs were made in the US, while some were made in Taiwan (mine's a Taiwan unit).

Oh, good! Thanks. I was hoping I hadn't misremembered that. :)

The first 5,000 7800's built in June 1984 were built in Atari's new El Paso, TX plant. If you find an Atari, Inc. 1984 Atari 7800, it will have a serial# starting with EP

Curt

I would like to know, if Atari ever made an 7800, In the USA. I know that Atari made an early 2600, and 5200(4 port) In the USA,But I never heard of an 7800. I would like to have one. All I have seen is made in Taiwain.
  • Like 1

• 13 years later...

From everything I've ever seen or read from anyone, including talking about it with Curt directly years ago before he passed, EP units were almost certainly engineering prototypes, with the boards made in Taiwan but likely assembled and tested in Atari's former, short-lived El Paso facility. 

The differences (if any) between those EP units and the initial AT-84 production units is probably very minimal. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...