IGNORED

Cosmic Avenger questions

cimerians

Just a few: :P

Any fans of this Arcade\CV game?

Have there been any versions outsided of the Colecovision? I think the CV did a great job on this one.

Has anyone ever played the arcade version back in the day?

We had a bowling alley called Penguin Lanes where the owner had this game and a Black Knight pinball game side by side. Neadless to say it was always crowded with quarters lining the rim of the marquee and little standing room due to Black Knight.

The arcade cabinet was generic so I never saw an original cabinet like I've seen pictures of.

For some reason I always preferred this game over Defender or Zaxxon.

I like it alright. It's a good shooter. I can't really recall if I had the opportunity to try out the arcade version which probably means I didn't since I seem to remember a lot of them. For that type of shooter though I like Scramble a bit better.

Cosmic Avenger on the CV blew me away back when I first saw it.

I've come to appreciate it more recently and have been playing it more often.

Try using a 3-button Sega Genesis controller in Port 1 if you find the standard CV controller too awkward.

If you use the Sega Genesis controller, when the Level Select screen appears, tap UP on the D-pad for Level 1 - Single Player; UP-RIGHT (Diagonal) on D-pad for Level 1 - Two Players; Right on D-pad for Level 2 - One Player, etc.

I've always liked the Scramble/Super Cobra/Cosmic Avenger games.

post-4618-1237382660_thumb.jpg

Cosmic Avenger for CV was a game I could never get into.I should,it looks great,sounds great.Just something about the gameplay I cant get used to.I think its just those types of games generaly like Scramble,SuperCobra,Vanguard,etc.Doesn't mean they're bad games of course,just not for me.

Edited by Rik

Yeah its similar to Scramble\Defender etc. but it had different areas unlike those games.

You basically fly over stuff and blow things up. The submarine level was like an underwater type level. The mame version (arcade) is a lot more crisper and detailed.

The controls on the CV killed it somewhat, but it was a lot of fun on an arcade machine.

I'll have to try the Genesis pad with this game. :)

I dont think any other version exists for any system just like Lady Bug etc.

I guess that was the uniqueness of the CV. Arcade ports of "unknown" games especially Universal games.

Loved Cosmic Avenger as a kid! It was one of the first Colecovision games we had, along with Smurf, Venture, Zaxxon, and of course Donkey Kong. It was pure gaming bliss back then for me and my brother!

I must say, Coleco really had a solid group of launch titles. Not one stinker in the whole lot. I know it's trendy to complain about the Colecovision's choppy animation these days, but I tell you what -- we never noticed it back then as kids....

Edited by else

Loved Cosmic Avenger as a kid! It was one of the first Colecovision games we had, along with Smurf, Venture, Zaxxon, and of course Donkey Kong. It was pure gaming bliss back then for me and my brother!

I must say, Coleco really had a solid group of launch titles. Not one stinker in the whole lot. I know it's trendy to complain about the Colecovision's choppy animation these days, but I tell you what -- we never noticed it back then as kids....

It was the system to have back in 83' because of the arcade titles, especially the pack in game Donkey Kong.

When Donkey Kong came out and they packed it in with the system it was a must to get a Colecovision especially since they also had released Donkey Kong Jr.

Those are the first two games I bought along with Cosmic and Smurf Rescue.

• 3 months later...