IGNORED

North Carolina Classic Gaming Convention

Albert

http://www.redlinelabs.com/ncacgc/Those of you living in or near North Carolina might be interested in attending The North Carolina Atari and Classic Game Convention 2002. This event will be held at Bicket Gallery in Raleigh, North Carolina on September 27th and 28th. The convention will feature vendors selling classic gaming hardware and software, various systems setup for play, live music, special guests, door prizes, tournaments, and trading. You can learn more by visiting the NCACGC web site.

Those of you living in or near North Carolina might be interested in attending The North Carolina Atari and Classic Game Convention 2002. This event will be held at Bicket Gallery in Raleigh, North Carolina on September 27th and 28th.  The convention will feature vendors selling classic gaming hardware and software, various systems setup for play, live music, special guests, door prizes, tournaments, and trading.  You can learn more by visiting the NCACGC web site.

Holy Shit!!!

For a minute I thought CGE was upon us again. Same website, same press release (almost word for word). What ever happened to originality?

I guess we should be flattered....

John

For a minute I thought CGE was upon us again. Same website, same press release (almost word for word).  What ever happened to originality?

It's hardly the same website at all. While the NCACGC site shares a similar color nav-bar to the left and a white background for the main page content, that's about as similar as they get. It's actually closer to the Stella home page than the CGExpo site. And while the press release they issued is similar in some ways to the CGE2K2 Announcement (most notably the first sentence), it certainly isn't a word for word copy. While you're entitled to your opinion, I think you're being a little too harsh here. No one is going to confuse this event with the Classic Gaming Expo.

..Al

In CX2K's defense, the color scheme and layout is very similar to CGE's, though I can tell they just used the Stella website as a template.

Now then, before they removed it, their press release was a word-for word rip-off of the CinciClassic press release. Compare:

NCACGC:

"Remember how you felt early Christmas morning when you opened your Atari 2600 and fired up Combat and Asteroids for the first time? The convention is an incredible opportunity to return to those memorable days when Atari, Mattel, Milton Bradley, and Coleco were synonymous with gaming," said Kirk Adam, co-promoter of the North Carolina Atari and Classic Game Convention.

CinciClassic press release, written months earlier....:

Remember how you felt when you opened the Atari 2600 early Christmas morning and fired up Combat and Asteroids for the first time? Return with Cinciclassic to those memorable days when Atari, Mattel, Milton Bradley, and Coleco were synonymous with gaming.

I could go on, but why bother....

In CX2K's defense, the color scheme and layout is very similar to CGE's, though I can tell they just used the Stella website as a template.

I have found out that Brad Mott, who created the Stella site, also created the NCACGC website. The layout used is common on a ton of sites--navigation template on the left and content on the right. Really, calling it the "same site" is quite a stretch.

Now then, before they removed it, their press release was a word-for word rip-off of the CinciClassic press release. Compare:

This is a good catch, I hadn't seen this. It is unfortunate that they didn't just write a new press release from scratch, rather than borrowing from others.

..Al

Having never been to the Stella site, I didn't know they used the same color scheme. I see that the North Carolina show site is actually hosted by Brad Mott so that makes a lot more sense now.

NCACGC:

"Remember how you felt early Christmas morning when you opened your Atari 2600 and fired up Combat and Asteroids for the first time?  The convention is an incredible opportunity to return to those memorable days when Atari, Mattel, Milton Bradley, and Coleco were synonymous with gaming," said Kirk Adam, co-promoter of the North Carolina Atari and Classic Game Convention.

CinciClassic press release, written months earlier....:

Remember how you felt when you opened the Atari 2600 early Christmas morning and fired up Combat and Asteroids for the first time? Return with Cinciclassic to those memorable days when Atari, Mattel, Milton Bradley, and Coleco were synonymous with gaming.  

Tim, here's some text taken from an early CGE Press Release from '98 I believe...

"Classic Gaming Expo is an annual celebration of where it all began. If your mind’s eye can see you as a 10 year-old frantically tearing the reindeer-covered wrapping paper off a package from Santa revealing an Atari 2600, Intellivision, ColecoVision or Vectrex, Classic Gaming Expo is a place where memories such as these run free."

Same concept.

John

I just wish I could have gotten a little more notice about this show, and I wish it weren't so close to the CinciClassic, which I already have plans to attend.

I'd love to go, but it just sort of POPPED UP on me out of nowhere. Maybe I missed an earlier notice or something? :(

• 2 weeks later...
I went this past Saturday.  Not a huge turnout, but it was all good anyway.  My first convention, and I have to say, I'd do it again in a heartbeat.  I think they indicated that they'll try to do it every September.

Know if anyone got any pictures? How many tables were setup? How big was the space?

..Al

I went this past Saturday.  Not a huge turnout, but it was all good anyway.  My first convention, and I have to say, I'd do it again in a heartbeat.  I think they indicated that they'll try to do it every September.

Know if anyone got any pictures? How many tables were setup? How big was the space?

..Al

I saw a couple of guys videotaping the event, especially the tournament, where you played a game I can't remember right now (Space Invaders with a 3:00 time limit - I scored 5,000 or so - the guy at the lead scored over 10,000 in 3:00).

There were 4 distinct areas. One was a guy from Asheville selling Multicarts. Second was the guy from Glitter Music who organized the thing (he had about 5-6 tables, and a corner, full of stuff). Third was a guy showing off his personal collection. And finally, there was the tournament. There was also a pinball machine. Probably about 30 or 40 people in a space that was about 1,000 sq. ft (my guess).

Still, lots of fun to be had by all. I would have bought more than 4 cartridges if I hadn't just bought a house.

• 3 weeks later...