IGNORED

Miniature Golf High Resolution

accousticguitar

Thanks to Nukey Shay and Earthquake I was able to make some higher resolution screens for Miniature Golf.

This has some nice features over the original Miniature Golf (most of which were implemented by Nukey Shay).

1. The control is much nicer, especially in the easier version. The joystick will move diagonally in both versions, and the cursor does not slow down when it gets close to the ball in the easier version.

2. There are more colors. In the original version, there was only one color. In the HD versions there are many different colors.

3. The graphics (of course) are much nicer in the HD version.

4. Moving hole (okay, it's only on 1 screen, but it's still cool).

5. Different shapes for the moving obstacles.

6. Both reflected and mirrored data is used (in the easier version) which gives a different style of playfield on some of the screens.

I personally like the easier version myself. I think it captures the essence of the original Miniature Golf because it is simple and fun to play. That was what I was trying to accomplish.

Miniature Golf High Rez:

Mgolfhrz.bin

Here is an easier version:

golfhrz2.bin

post-8785-0-42028400-1502344558_thumb.png

Edited by accousticguitar
  • Like 2

Pics or it didn't happen. :)

You don't have a 2600 emulator? :P

I'm kind of curious to how you can tweak MG's graphics. Weren't they done with BG graphics?

If by "BG" you mean playfield graphics, yes, that is correct. The original Miniature Golf playfield graphics had only 5 lines of code from the top of the screen to the bottom of the screen. It is now possible to have 64 lines of code in there. I did not by any means fully exploit the potential of the assembly Nukey Shay made. The largest screen in my hack has 164 bytes, while it is possible now to have a screen with 256 bytes in it. I was trying to keep the sizes of the screens down though so I wouldn't run out of rom space. After all, it's still only 4k. If someone wanted to create a game with 18 holes and have them all look nice I think 8k would be necessary. I'm not asking for that though; 9 holes are plenty imo. You can read about how this hack came about here:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=121581

Edited by accousticguitar

Yup...it's actually using basically the same routines that the original game had in place. The major difference is that the screens are not using the same scanline comparison table, but use their own counter comparison value for each line of PF values. I also implemented (indirect),Y loading, so that screen data can be located beyond a single 256-byte stretch of memory, and obstacles can be any 8-bit sprite size or shape.

In addition, the lower "nybble" of PF0 data was not used by the original game, so this contains Reflect/Mirror control of PF and sprite width of the obstacle for that group of scanlines (neither was expoited by this hack). Because the latter is defined on a per-dataline basis (and the GFX delimiter can be any value you choose), you can have multiple obstacles on a single screen. One last thing that needs to be done is to implement obstacle repositioning within the kernel...so the motion between multiple obstacles does not need to be shared. You could potentially have a stationary "windmill"-type object set at quad width on one band of gfx, up to 3 horizontally-moving obstacles set at single-width on another band, etc. Or a screen where the PF pixels move around. The game does not use nearly half of the available ram.

post-222-1238265071_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nukey Shay

• 4 weeks later...

Comment out all lines between tags LF4CD and LF502...those do the subtractions and comparisons to skip 3 out of 4 frames when close.

It might be better to implement the slowdown when the joystick is not held in a steady direction (rather than a short distance from the ball)...so that fine positioning is easy everywhere. I wasn't sure if that was part of the original game's challenge, tho...so I didn't alter it.

To implement that, you could store the current SWCHA value (in the accumulator) at LF4D5 to an unused ram location. Then on the next frame, do a compare with it when SWCHA is read at LF502. If the values differ, skip input using a framecounter delay. Pretty easy to do, but it burns a byte of ram.

Comment out all lines between tags LF4CD and LF502...those do the subtractions and comparisons to skip 3 out of 4 frames when close.

It might be better to implement the slowdown when the joystick is not held in a steady direction (rather than a short distance from the ball)...so that fine positioning is easy everywhere. I wasn't sure if that was part of the original game's challenge, tho...so I didn't alter it.

To implement that, you could store the current SWCHA value (in the accumulator) at LF4D5 to an unused ram location. Then on the next frame, do a compare with it when SWCHA is read at LF502. If the values differ, skip input using a framecounter delay. Pretty easy to do, but it burns a byte of ram.

Cool, thanks! I just want the cursor to move fast all the time, though I may change my tune after I try it.

This game is really fun, and looks super too! ;)

Thanks. :) I'm actually working on a similar version that is simpler and easier to play. I'm a casual gamer, and I found my first version to be a little on the hard side. I'm still tweaking it so I'm not sure when it will be done.