IGNORED

Colecovision HSC2 / Game 12A - TARZAN

NOTE: THIS WEEKS GAME HAS ENDED!

COLECO PRESENTS FROM OUT OF THE JUNGLE...

Tarzan

Trademark by Edgar Rice Burroughs Inc.

post-98-1238620797_thumb.jpg

Game Info

Journey to the heart of darkest Africa on a thrilling adventure with Tarzan, Lord of the Jungle.

Cruel hunters and the Beastmen of Opar have abducted Tarzan's tribe of Great Apes and

imprisoned them in cages throughout the jungle.

It's up to you to save the apes from being shipped out of their jungle home to zoos.

Patch Challenge

If you can score more than 270,500 points (TwinGalaxies High Score), then you will receive 2 bonus points.

Screenshot please!

Helpful hints

Generally, it is safer to travel through the trees. Most of the enemies are on the jungle

floor and so are the traps. The next best route is the foreground.

The XX icon represents snake eyes. Keep your distance.

You can outswim the croc, if you get an opening and a good jump.

To open the cages, punch away as soon as you land on them.

When you free Nkima from his cage, jump off the center post, because a pit is hidden below.

To successfully grab a swining vine, make sure you are on the far side of the tree and

your feet aren't lower than the bottom of the vine. Also, make sure your control knop is facing

right as you leap.

Careful of gunfire from the hunters. You can stun them with a punch if you time the shots

and get close enough.

If Tarzan frees all the apes and defeats the Flaming Idol at the temple, you earn a bonus

of 1000 points for every segment left in the Vitality bar at the end of the round.

Settings

Skill level 1 - 1 Player

Use the same skill level as posted so that all the scores will be accurate!

Contest ends on

Wednesday, 04-15-09 at 1:00 AM eastern.

Link to HSC2 Leaderboard

Please read the Rules & Regulations thread for a thoural description of the HSC rules.

Current High Scores

1. JEFF31 345,750 [+11] [+2]

2. Ikrananka 250,750 [+10]

3. Mister VCS 208,750 [+9]

4. darthkur 203,000 [+8]

5. roadrunner 125,750 [+7]

6. ed1475 91,500 [+6]

Edited by Mister VCS

Terrible first score (and GAME!!!). I would have 'killed' myself back years ago If I'd spent 29.95 + tax on this game :twisted:

Anyway 44,000

Gads! must do much better! please!... anybody.... pass this score... :P

Man this game is tedious and also rather easy at this skill level - I persevered and got a high score of 250,750 - then gave up and let myself die thinking that I'd beaten the Twin Galaxies high score and got the +2 bonus points - DOH!!!!! Looks like I need to have another session and make sure I stop over 270,500.

post-5757-1239029832_thumb.jpg

OK hmmm got to be honest here...

Screen 1: punch 'Bolangi the gorilla' a bunch of times, get 20K points or so. get bored and the gorilla punches me runs around and fall into a pit.

Screen 2 & 3 water and snakes bypass these screens

Screen 4: Bolangi again! punch him every 4.5 - 5 seconds for what seems like hours... another 50K or so in points - now at 70+ K. slip up on a punch and the gorilla hits me again and goes running around and falls into a pit...

Screen 5: water again darn go to next screen

Screen 6: Hunter screen! yea! Punch hunter for 30 minutes (yes every 5 seconds or so...) get score to 300K+

Finally decide to go to the 'idol' screen and finally die there.

Score: 345750 (hard to see but can just make it out)

Now all that being said was that cheating or using a bug in the game?

Part of me says yes, part no - I'll let MR VCS decide.

I couldn't figure out how to beat the Flaming Idol at the temple.

How do i save a screenshot on Mess?

To defeat the Flaming Idol:

1. Release the four caged Gorillas.

2. Get to the top level of the temple, i.e. the same level as the Idol's face - then immediately press any numeric (0-9) button - this should result in the Idol being defeated signified by the Idol's face sinking into the temple.

Don't know how you get a screenshot in Mess - I use BlueMSX for CV emulation.

I couldn't figure out how to beat the Flaming Idol at the temple.

How do i save a screenshot on Mess?

To defeat the Flaming Idol:

1. Release the four caged Gorillas.

2. Get to the top level of the temple, i.e. the same level as the Idol's face - then immediately press any numeric (0-9) button - this should result in the Idol being defeated signified by the Idol's face sinking into the temple.

Don't know how you get a screenshot in Mess - I use BlueMSX for CV emulation.

Thanks for the tips!! :thumbsup:

That wasn't cheating! There was a similar situation at Game 1B - GORF post #5 & 6. I think this not in sense of the game, but "legal".

Actually most people do consider it cheating. It's called "camping" or "spawning". Just had a similar judgment call on the A8 HSC. It's up to you though. The bad thing about doing that is that it turns games into simply a time endurance contest instead of progressing through the levels as was originally intended.

That wasn't cheating! There was a similar situation at Game 1B - GORF post #5 & 6. I think this not in sense of the game, but "legal".

Actually most people do consider it cheating. It's called "camping" or "spawning". Just had a similar judgment call on the A8 HSC. It's up to you though. The bad thing about doing that is that it turns games into simply a time endurance contest instead of progressing through the levels as was originally intended.

Like I said... above... but then again if you play the current game and 'hang around' (ie 'camping') and move around until you group the ghosts - isn't that the same thing? On one hand I did make progress in the game (made it to the first idol screen) but did 'camp' on a screen until I had to progress... I'm sure that players better than me could score a 'million' points or more if they used this technique. Bottom line for me is that I won't do it again - it just doesn't 'feel' right. I'm having a lot of fun playing my Coleco again and having friendly competition amongst my atariage friends! :)