IGNORED

played NES Joust for the 1st time tonight and

discovered that the 5200 version is way better

and plus the legs of the ostrich are way too long on the NES version lol

NES had Joust?

*loads emulator - Yup, sho 'nuff.*

You're right, the NES is horrible. It's gaudy looking, badly out of proportion and plays lousy (flapping is very unresponsive). :|

discovered that the 5200 version is way better

and plus the legs of the ostrich are way too long on the NES version lol

NES had Joust?

*loads emulator - Yup, sho 'nuff.*

You're right, the NES is horrible. It's gaudy looking, badly out of proportion and plays lousy (flapping is very unresponsive). :|

yup! hate the colors too

Try the 7800 version of Joust, it's the best version you can get.

Sorry, I know we're on AtariAge and all, but there was a Sega Genesis version that was virtually arcade perfect--was just excellent. I have 2600 Joust, and it was great back in the day and everything, but after I was spoiled with Genesis Joust nothing else is quite the same.

Sorry, I know we're on AtariAge and all, but there was a Sega Genesis version that was virtually arcade perfect--was just excellent. I have 2600 Joust, and it was great back in the day and everything, but after I was spoiled with Genesis Joust nothing else is quite the same.

He said 7800, not 2600.

NES Joust is just awful. What really bugs me about it is that I know to many, many people that is Joust. Think about how many kids grew up on the NES, and not on the arcade or any of the older systems. Many of those people likely only ever played NES Joust. They don't know about the different wave types, the fine, responsive play of the original, or clean, crisp graphics in the game. To them Joust is some ugly, poor to control, repetitive junk.

Speaking of HAL NES ports, how about Defender II? You can pick up humanoids, but you can't "hold on" to them. Therefore, you can't pick up four of them and warp through the Stargate, which seems like a pretty significant thing to leave out.

Speaking of HAL NES ports, how about Defender II? You can pick up humanoids, but you can't "hold on" to them. Therefore, you can't pick up four of them and warp through the Stargate, which seems like a pretty significant thing to leave out.

I had a friend who had Defender II... THe thing I noticed that there was music between the waves...

Music from Punch Out!

He said 7800, not 2600.

Yeah, but I said 2600 :)

7800 version is good and I've seen many others, but Genesis Joust is THE version to me. I even remember playing it with a controller that had turbo fire, just holding down the button for constant flapping--that made sort of another game variation. It was of course a fantastic two player game also.

The NES version, however was hurtin' for certain. Even the 2600 version is better, always-floating eggs and all.

Edited by brojamfootball

Well, if you're going to stretch the definition of the term "retro," I'm going to have to say that Williams Arcade's Greatest Hits for the Sega Saturn had my favorite version of Joust in it. It was an emulation of the arcade game with some very cool features, including the option to create a custom message that would display in the attract mode. So cool!

But yeah, if we're sticking with 8-bit systems, I'd have to concur that the 7800 version of Joust was the best of the bunch. The graphics were spectacular, and the gravity was set just right. In the NES version, you felt like you were on Jupiter, and in the 5200 version, you felt like you were on the moon, but the 7800 version nailed it right on the head... not too floaty, and not too weighted.

7800 version is good and I've seen many others, but Genesis Joust is THE version to me. I even remember playing it with a controller that had turbo fire, just holding down the button for constant flapping--that made sort of another game variation. It was of course a fantastic two player game also.

The Genesis version doesn't count for a lot of people. I don't know if it's emulated (I doubt it), but the developers of the collection were intentionally trying for arcade perfection, so that it wouldn't be too embarrassed by its PlayStation and Saturn counterparts. Incidentally, that same collection also came out for the SNES, and that one is arcade-perfect too.

Personally I say it counts, but I also agree if you're going to hold a debate about which version of Joust is the best, you really should stick to the 8-bit ports. Anything beyond that is just the arcade game and wins by default. :)

I had a friend who had Defender II... THe thing I noticed that there was music between the waves...

Music from Punch Out!

The Japanese version (Star Gate) came out the month before the US version of Punch-Out!! came out and two months before the Japanese version of Punch-Out!! came out.

The ROM also contains this string:

DEBUGED BY TOSHIO SENGOKU ( Intelligent Systems ) 1987/07/31 15:00

HAL and Nintendo have had a close relationship for years.

Just compared 7800 Joust, NES Joust, and the coin-op Joust in emulation, and I'll have to disagree:

First of all, the NES ostriches legs are much closer to the correct length than the 7800. And the NES flapping physics are much closer to the coin-op than the 7800. In the 7800 version you take off ridiculously fast. In general, the NES graphics look much better than the 7800's.

And the missing waves are way overstated as an issue. The NES version still has the egg waves; the missing waves are the survivor waves, gladiator waves, and team waves. Missing them is kind of lame, but it isn't like you're missing a lot of gameplay, they just add point bonuses for different conditions.

The main issue with the NES version is that the birds and platforms are too big for the screen, it feels very cramped. This doesn't affect the gameplay, but the way the knight+bird just disappears when defeated is pretty weak; the knight-less birds flapping around is a cool touch that is nicely preserved in the 7800 version.

But all in all, I'll be a heretic and say the NES version is just as good, if not better, than the 7800 version. :P

Edited by vdub_bobby