IGNORED

Picked up an NES today

I sold my NES about two years ago been meaning to pick up another one and did today with about 20 games. Got it all for $40 at a flea market. I really had forgot how much I loved playing the NES until I started playing tonight. Atari 2600 and 7800 are my all time fav systems but man the NES was number one in the late 80's for a reason.

I sold my NES about two years ago been meaning to pick up another one and did today with about 20 games. Got it all for $40 at a flea market. I really had forgot how much I loved playing the NES until I started playing tonight. Atari 2600 and 7800 are my all time fav systems but man the NES was number one in the late 80's for a reason.

Sounds like you got a good deal. I'm just like you with the 2600 & 7800 being my all time favorites but loved the NES too.

Steve

http://atari-man.xanga.com/

Great deal, the nes is an awesome system. Around here you can get an nes for $40, by itself. Nice snag, what games did you pick up?

Great deal, the nes is an awesome system. Around here you can get an nes for $40, by itself. Nice snag, what games did you pick up?

Mario Bros 3

Super Mario/Duck Hunt

Punch Out

Monster Party

Ninja Gaiden

Ninja Gaiden 3

Batmen the return of Joker

Cybernoid

Castlevanie 2

Dynowarz

TMNT

KlashBall

Where in time is Carmen Sandiego

Final Fantasy

Bucky Ohare

Starship Hector

Bram Stoker's Dracula

No shame in loving the 2600 or 7800 over the NES at all. I never had as many NES games as I do now, and the more games I get, the less I like the system. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the NES games I grew up with like Castlevania, Willow, and Burai Fighter. I'm just really hesitant to venture into new territory with the system because of the amount of pure shovelware.

The 7800 and 2600 had simple yet fun games. Sure they were dated. Galaga was dated, Asteroids was way dated, and Water Ski is very difficult, but all three are fun. The 2600 needs no further comment--it speaks for itself.

Nintendo just had some of the right ideas with marketing and licensing. Had Atari or Sega got those ideas instead, the shovelware would say "The Karate Kid Atari 7800 ProSystem" on the end label or it would say "Back to the Future: The Mega Cartridge" on it.

I, too, just picked up a reasonable NES lot of common games. I dug into the light gun games I got (there were three of them) and learned quickly that I'd probably still continue to play Meltdown and Barnyard Blaster more often. Two of the three gun games I got are fun (I didn't like Gumshoe), but still I'm partial to Atari. I have yet to dig into the other games. Matter of fact I have some games on my shelf I haven't got into yet, like Zelda 1 and 2. Midnight Mutants falls into that category as well, so maybe after some play time my opinion on the NES may become more positive.

Did you get into the HSC yet? With more games I will be able to participate more myself.

I look at the NES as an opportunity to play updated versions of games I already love on the 2600/7800 like Pac/Mspac/Defender/Burgertime/Popeye/Qbert/Rampage/MarioBros./etc

Also to play arcade classics that didn't appear on those systems like Dig Dug2//Lode Runner/Marble Madness/Rampart/Mappyland

And a few that I just loved when I first had my system in the late 80's like Blades of Steel/Life Force/Tetris/Pinball/RC ProAm/etc

Bottom line - my NES collection looks nothing like the average NES collection as almost none of what most people consider to be "must have" classics are in it. No Zelda, No Mario, no Metroid, no Castlevania. Just doesn't interest me.

Edited by AtariLeaf

personally i was never much of an nes fan. i owned it, i played it, but i always preferred the master system. sega lost me around the saturn era and i went back to nintendo for the n64 since i loathed the psx.

not to say the master system had better games, because it didn't, but the nes always seemed to be filled with shovelware to me and i think its library is vastly overrated. take away the nintendo, konami and capcom franchises and you're left with a very large pile of crap. to this day the games don't hold my interest. i know it may be heresy for a gamer to say, but the nes is overrated and is viewed purely through the rose tinted glasses of nostalgia.

had i known then what i know now i'd have stuck with my 2600 and asked for a 7800.

personally i was never much of an nes fan. i owned it, i played it, but i always preferred the master system. sega lost me around the saturn era and i went back to nintendo for the n64 since i loathed the psx.

not to say the master system had better games, because it didn't, but the nes always seemed to be filled with shovelware to me and i think its library is vastly overrated. take away the nintendo, konami and capcom franchises and you're left with a very large pile of crap. to this day the games don't hold my interest. i know it may be heresy for a gamer to say, but the nes is overrated and is viewed purely through the rose tinted glasses of nostalgia.

had i known then what i know now i'd have stuck with my 2600 and asked for a 7800.

I don't understand... you're complaining about how if you take away Nintendo games, Capcom games, and Konami games, you're left with nothing...saying you'd have rather had a 7800. No offense, but when you take away the Atari games on the 7800, you aren't left with much of anything either.

You can say this about any system really. Take away the main publisher's titles and you aren't left with much. The only difference I can see is instead of being left with nothing like the 7800 (because it's library was so small), you're left with tons of games as the system was more popular. Basically, you have roughly the same amount of "great" games, but a larger portion of crud. And if you were a fan of the Genesis, SNES, or N64, I'm sure you can point out more bad games than good that were released. It doesn't make the console bad, it just shows how much more devs wanted to publish games on the system vs it's competitors.

Shame you didn't dive into the Saturn and PSX. You're missing a LOT of good games.

The Saturn and PS1 held my attention longer than the NES did, but they still both have some really ugly titles. That's one of the few eras where bad graphics really could detract from a game. Take a 2D game from their generation, or something that's got very simple 3D or even a game that's on rails, and they're crisp and clean. On the other hand, take a pixelly mess like Gran Turismo 2 and try to play that...it just doesn't work. Not to diss either of them, though. There are many 3D games, especially on the Saturn, that actually looked great in that time frame.

i know it may be heresy for a gamer to say, but the nes is overrated and is viewed purely through the rose tinted glasses of nostalgia.

Exactly my opinion on the matter as well. With me never having many NES titles, I didn't get biased toward the system like many Americans did. I never got into the Nintendo craze.

At least the 7800 wasn't flooded with platformers...thank goodness that the MARIA has a hard time with scrolling.

Still, there are some good games for the NES. With the sheer number of titles, even if it has a low hot to flop ratio, there's got to be some 60 or 70 titles at the very minimum that make it worth spending $20 on a Control Deck and a pad. Out of the games I have, the ones I do like I think should justify owning the system.

I didn't have an NES until late NES days (and then a house fire destroyed it before I really had fun) but I'm *HUGE* into NES now. Just recently started ordering famicom exclusives, actually.

I like NES because in addition to all the 'big nes titles' there are a lot of titles that were more "computer oriented" games, or 'old man' games, that are just better on that system. Lots of good dungeon crawlers, and games like maniac mansion, pirates!, elite (pal only), and M.U.L.E.

Sure there are also a few nes ports to avoid--cybernoid and ballblazer (jap only) come to mind.

Not enough flight sims for me though. I just can't get enough of them.

good luck on return of the joker--I love that game, but I'm just no good. I can't even win with game genie, and if that doesn't mean it's too hard, I don't know what does.

Edited by Reaperman