IGNORED

VBXE 2

candle

Hi Dominiqe

Yes, I got the programmer, and SS boards are ready

I even got lat 15 VBXE2 boadrs at 90% of completion

Heaven, what happend? you could connect standard monitor and see if you have any output - vbxe is transparent to the system, and yes, there is a selftest for vbxe2 board build in, but to invoke it, you have to have something on screen

btw - if AVR led is lit, then FPGA is up and running selected core - check this for a starters

Heaven, it seems there is no synchro, and that puzzles me

could you check if there is something on pin #15 of CD4050?

update

can you try to blindly enter self-test sound test, and confirm that there is audio output from your machine?

again on standard video cable

Edited by candle

I finally transplanted my VBXE2 from the 65XE which I hammered to death between 1991 and 2001 into a nice fresh motherboard with a 1MB upgrade (the old 65XE was also unlucky enough to bear the brunt of my early experiments with soldering at the beginning of 2009, and it shows). The cursed sync issue reared its head again with a vengeance in the newer machine, but this time I was able to test it with a different TV (an older LG TFT). Going through the other set, everything was fine, so it looks like Candle was right about the sync signal being right on the edge as far as the bigger, newer LG Flatron is concerned. And it was terrible: worse than before - like an old hand-cranked black and white movie. And when the picture dims, the sound goes, too. Hooking the sync up to luma, chroma or composite (the suggested alternatives) resulted in either no picture at all or a picture strikingly relocated halfway down and across the screen, with attractive vertical white zig-zag lines down it.

Hooking it back up to the IC pin in the original instructions, I decided to experiment with a capacitor on the wire. I ended up with a 10uf cap in there, and it seems to be doing the trick. I daren't conjecture as to why.

This seems to be the LG M227WD's only weak spot: handling VBXE output.

I got some new 40 pin sockets and managed to patch one 130XE Main Board and it does not work. Just see a black screen with bars flashing across. I know it is a loose connection but I am not presently equipped to figure exactly where. Would need to send that one out and have them do testing. Anyone near the Northeast or Great Lakes area of the United States on here who can do such repairs? I can go through a few more times and see if any pins are not making a connection or getting shorted out somewhere. To do a more detailed job would require me to desolder parts and run a greater risk of damaging the board.

I have a 2nd 130XE board which has many more traces pulled out and would be a tedious task to patch.