IGNORED

VBXE 2

candle

if you don't use any antic specific features, then i should recommend disabling dmactl icon_wink.gif

remember, that there is no way to restore default gtia palette once it will be changed, so its better to work on palette entries 1-3 than 0

So palette 0 is a copy of the system colour scheme? That's what I want.

Are these colours indexed the same as the normal Atari colours? 148 for the background gives me a purple screen - not what I'm after. Also, the blank lines which work in Altirra DON'T appear on real hardware... PLUS my VBXE board is playing up again: computer is booting up with a pink screen, picture is jumping all over the place. It may just jump clean out of the window at this rate... icon_mad.gif

Candle, how do you reset the VBXE board? The computer - after suffering a fit a few minutes ago - is now booting with with a purple screen with pink text on it. This is the second machine I've had this board in. It couldn't be any better installed or wired up and yet it's still going crazy. I've had less than an hour's use out of the thing in four or five months: the rest seems to have been all troubleshooting.

Sorry - exasperated...

EDIT: Green wire in DIN had snapped for no reason other than to drive me up the wall. Fixing now. I assume VBXE will be fine when that's done...

Rybags: yes - I imagine that's the problem. I will investigate when I get the board working again. Thanks.

Edited by flashjazzcat

Cable fixed, colours back to normal. Now I'm getting the good old picture drop-outs every few seconds. Seems more pronounced in VBXE's 80 column mode. Can't afford another TV, and I don't have room to set up a second display. So sadly - until I can resolve my VBXE issues one way or another - the LW VBXE project is shelved. I'm not writing software in emulation for hardware I bought but can't even use myself.

Candle: any ideas how to solve this?

Looking through messages: will try the cap/resistor mod if problem persists... and it is.

Totally turned of DMACTL and in hardware, blank line (repeat) instructions are completely ignored. Perplexed.

Edited by flashjazzcat

Since I appear not to be the only person who's had Hobbes' Time trying to get VBXE to sync with my TV (OK - I know the sync isn't the product of the VBXE board itself, but that's academic), here's the solution which worked for me with my particular TV set (LG M227WD).

Sync signal taken from pin 15 of TC4050BP chip just above MMU:

10uf capacitor, minus pin on pin 15 of TC4050BP.

Positive terminal of capacitor connected to "outer" pin of variable resistor.

"Wiper" (middle) pin of resistor wired to sync out.

Other pin of variable resistor wired to ground.

Since I'd already removed the RF box, I positioned the resistor as shown in the picture for easy adjustment:

post-21964-12632433181_thumb.jpg

It should be noted that I had previously tried the same circuit, but taking sync from LUMA pin of Atari circuit. While that solution also worked, the picture quality when steady was not as good. The opposite might be the case with a different panel.

When adjusting the resistor, I found that the picture would shift horizontally at a certain point (perhaps by a few millimetres) before becoming steady. Shimmering was apparent with extreme settings, but I have now found the "sweet spot" where the picture is both steady and clear.

The latest problem is a rather greenish cast across the picture, but this set up would be no fun at all without a different surprise every time I switched it on. icon_smile.gif

Edited by flashjazzcat

Jon, connecting that circuit to Luma signal was something You shouldn't even consider, sice values i've gave You were calculated for signal that is 4Vp-p (its amplitude has 4V), and Sync portion of Luma signal is alread 0.3Vp-p

The soley purpose of this circuit was to provide clean SYNC pulse that is compilant with TV standard (meaning 0.3Vp-p)

Jon, connecting that circuit to Luma signal was something You shouldn't even consider, sice values i've gave You were calculated for signal that is 4Vp-p (its amplitude has 4V), and Sync portion of Luma signal is alread 0.3Vp-p

The soley purpose of this circuit was to provide clean SYNC pulse that is compilant with TV standard (meaning 0.3Vp-p)

OK - thanks for the clarification. I had a good discussion with a knowledgeable friend the other night about waveforms, etc. The signal as it stands will "drop out" maybe once every five or ten minutes, but only for an instant. It's steady 99% of the time. I'll probably end up drilling a tiny hole for the screw on the pot in the back of the case. I've experienced one stock XE which wouldn't sync with the old LG TV which other Ataris and the VBXE machine are fine with, so sync adjustment is probably a useful thing to have in general.

It's no problem - glad to help. The resistor has 3296 stamped on the side, and 722C0/W 103 printed on the end. No idea what these numbers mean. I just remembered buying the appropriate variable resistors to modify an s-video cable some months ago and fortunately they were still in the drawer!

No bearing on VBXE output, but are you wanting to retain the legacy video system as well, or at least part of it?

Good question. So the s-video out is still intact with VBXE installed? I've pretty much abandoned it with this machine: the VBXE jack has replaced the 5-pin din.

...Actually it might be cool to replace the 5-pin din and put the VBXE jack where the RF mod used to be once I decide which case to cut a hole in. That way I could preserve both outputs.

Edited by flashjazzcat

We have a bit more leeway with most PAL machines... I just put the VGA jack where the channel selector would otherwise be on an NTSC machine. My monitor port is as default (with chroma added).

I reckon it's worth keeping legacy output, especially given how easy it is to get into trouble with wrongly constructed XDLs. Comes in handy having the GTIA-only signal.