IGNORED

VBXE 2

candle

If anyone is in the position of needing a converter and is fretting over the sticker shock, Jrok might still have some encoders in stock that can convert from RGB to component or standards video in either NTSC or PAL format, which should do the trick. A bit bare bones without the pretty box, but about half of the price of of some similar models. (Not for complete novices. You will need to rig your own power source, etc. But if your attempting this mod, well... you probably know what you are doing..hopefully.....*gulp* ;)).

http://jrok.com/hardware/RGB.html

Next, someone will tell me that there ar much cheaper options that work better. ;)

Edited by AtariNerd

AtariNerd: no need for external power supply - boards You've posted link to are powered frorm 5V supply, and this will be avaivable (sorry! still can't spell that word!! quite unpronoucable) on vbxe connector (db15) along with other usefull signals (luma, chroma, control for SCART connector, left/right and mono auido channel)

this is provided especially for converter boxes like this, or rgb2vga adapters (just plans for now)

vbxe v1.2 was using db9 connector, and there was no space for 5V or stereo output

Larry: frankly, this is just random collection of pictures and fade in/fade out effect

i've spent most of the time writing it fighting with 6502 assembler which i'm not verry familiar with, and finding it verry frustrating

i'm assembler coder for many years, but my orgins are in pc demoscene, not 8bit ones, thus it was real pain to limit myselft to one register than can add, sorry - adc :D and with 8bit indexes

i wish i could be better to see real potential one can get with vbxe

i'll try to do blitter demo, as this is main strenght of vbxe

with blitter one may turn off dma for screen and pmg, freeing almost all bus time to cpu

blitter doesn't stop the cpu to move the data inside vbxe memory, and You can have as many sprites as You want

aehm... I am just trying to play around with the Plasma demo and the VBXE... how can I change the palette?

at the moment in the plasma demo it is enabled 256 bytes/pixel but it always uses the default palette which is actually the atari palette?

Just been reading back through this topic. Am I correct in thinking that VBXE's scan line is the same height as ANTIC's? So the only way to get a 640x400 display is to use Rybags' interlace technique. Are there any examples of the 640 horizontal pixel mode?

Edited by flashjazzcat

Just been reading back through this topic. Am I correct in thinking that VBXE's scan line is the same height as ANTIC's? So the only way to get a 640x400 display is to use Rybags' interlace technique. Are there any examples of the 640 horizontal pixel mode?

Well, the mode simply has twice as much pixels per line as the "standard res" mode (i.e. std res = 256/320/336 pixels per line, hires = 512/640/672 ppl), and 16 colors (out of 2 mln) instead of 256. The number of scanlines remain the same, as it is the old GTIA that generates the sync signals. Works nice, but I have no examples - although I of course could draw something in TBXL using my "S2:" driver, and then dump it into a BMP file.

The 80-column text mode is very nice too.