IGNORED

VBXE 2

candle

I also noticed that after assembling the slide.asm file, it doesn't work the same as the one included with the hd slide atr... I'll be disassembling the working one tomorrow to see how it ticks and adjusting it to my purposes accordingly...

Edited by dwhyte

As an aside, playing around with converting 24 bit images, it's amazing how well they stand up in 256 colors, if you use Floyd-Steinberg dithering. It's actually hard to distinguish at a 1:1 ratio on my smallish pc monitor, only breaking down if I zoom in considerably.

As an aside, playing around with converting 24 bit images, it's amazing how well they stand up in 256 colors, if you use Floyd-Steinberg dithering. It's actually hard to distinguish at a 1:1 ratio on my smallish pc monitor, only breaking down if I zoom in considerably.

You can receive even better results using Photoshop and converting to an indexed .bmp using a "Local (Perceptual)" palette...

heaven, your picture you posted, does that mean you have a patched version of an emulator that also emulates a vbxe/vbxe 2

If so, is that version of the emulator available of download

any links....

yes... it was Atari++ VBXE preliminary edition which is not yet for public release... I got hands on it to get a feeling.

first of all that I can get a feeling for it in terms of what the beast can do...

but with VBXE we are running into major issues what the games industry have... with better gfx capabilities extra gfx assets needs to be done... ;)

I could simply switch to VBXE and using the sprite engine for Beyond Evil but that would limit the target group... so I am still aiming for XL/XE with the gr8 cart as extension.

but with VBXE I would be again faster as I would not need to spend time for developing my own sprite engine...

well, from what i've heard of the upgrade it's like having the lynx's (atari) and amiga (high end) gfx capabilities in one upgrade

And it apparently has surefire sprite capability, someone already mentioned blitter capability (giving a psx example though...perhaps they both use the same blitter hardware), does it have scaling, like the lynx

Shame that it won't work with an a800 you could have a kickass gauntlet game (an exact arcade replica infact)

I only hope they release the patched emu, that way more people will be exposed to the upgrade and that way more people will be able to code apps/utils or gamez for the upgrade (as long as those apps/games etc work with real A8 hardware that is)

Now that we have an emu. that mimics/emulates vbxe behavior/characteristics

can you now post some apps/utils so we can test the vbxe capabilites

if not at least post the memory map and/or complete list of pokes so we all can play around with the vbxe extension to atari++

also, are there any differences (hardware wise) betw. vbxe and vbxe 2

Edited by carmel_andrews

hardware wise:

pic508 (boot loader for loading cores and core managment) was replaced by atmega48 reducing startup time from 6.5s to less than 1 second plus providing on board oscilator for freddy chip (v1.2 uses external one)

HI**** (don't remember exact type) from Intersil video DAC was replaced by TH**** (again memory doesn't serve) from Texas Instruments, because its now obsolete

those are minor changes that make second run of VBXE possible at all

it relays only on antic presence when it comes to compatibility, and atari800 has antic chip, right? :)

Whoa...maybe i'm reading more into this than I should, but...

I thought it needed either a Freddie memory management chip or a 14mhz oscillator wired up? *

(Or maybe you meant that it will process the native signals, but not neccessarily harness all that the VBXE is capable of.)

If it is just a matter of having an ANTIC, that changes the whole effort-level of entry. Then we could use an older socketed Atari with an easy memory expansion, etc. A lot more people might be willing to pop their machine open and modify it if they only have to solder a few wires rather than desolder chips....

*Hmmm, a future revision for compatability across the line?

EDIT: Thanks, Candle. ;) This makes me feel a little more secure. I was a little nervous about modding one of these machines, but I have a bit more confidence, now. :D

Edited by AtariNerd

Today two things are on my check list

making Rybags code working on VBXE, and testing the thing with Atari 800xl ntsc, without freddie chip and without 14mhz crystal

14mhz is main clock source for pixels in vbxe, but it is synced only by clock phase 2

WTF?

The manual for the thing is in the first post of this thread.

Firslt, if you refer to the 1st link in the first post in this thread....it only refer's to a descrption of each location

it DOES NOT actually give you the meory address of that location

for example

COLDETECT, what memory location is this refer to

COLMASK, again what memory location does this refer to

there are others but i can't be bothered to go through an entire manual

case in point

GPRIOR refers to memory location 26fh

Vcount refers to memory location D40bh, etc

that's what i mean

Perhaps instead of being rude and flippant in replying to my post you could have just has easily have said ' you will find what you need in the manual' instead of telling me 'what the F***'

Edited by carmel_andrews

Carmel: would you please kindly open fx v1.07 core programmes manual on page 31 and quoted it here?

Downloading the manual now. Will be something fun to read at work during lunch tomorrow.

Stephen Anderson

You can receive even better results using Photoshop and converting to an indexed .bmp using a "Local (Perceptual)" palette...

Thank you for the tip. I appreciate any help I can get. Maybe one day I can do something more useful, here, rather than keeping the seat warm. Mind, that is a season, front-row seat... ;)