IGNORED

New Video Adapter for S-Video On Atari ST/TT Systems

Sorry about the Delay guys. the amiga version is complete but the atari version we are having some trouble with (has to do with the V-sync H-sync Conversion to C-sync)

I've had a few annoying issues myself in that area. Including one which lead to my MSTE having the double VBL or 'twinsync' issue, that drove me absolutely bonkers for a bit.

UPDATE:

We've run into a problem with the Sync issue in the adapter. It seems to work on some ST's and not others. the Sync signals in an ST seem to vary depending upon what unit (what year and run of units it came out of) that a person has. It has something to do with the double VBL or 'twinsync' issue that Remo was taking about.

we are not sure what to do about it or if it can be over come. It's seems to be very random as to which ST a person has.

The only way we can see to be sure that the unit will work for anyone that buys one is to require the ST to have a Modulator in it.

I'm still thinking about this decision. let me know what you all think.

Edited by kjmann

Well, other RF equipped STs, is there any way to tell if an ST will work with it, even if you have to open one? I definately want one. Luckily my ST has an RF adapter.

Allan

No. Unfortunately there is no way to tell if a person has one that will work. so if we change the requirements to include an RF equipped ST then we can be sure that customers that are buying it will not have to worry about whether or not it will work.

Edited by kjmann

Does anyone know if piping the H-Sync and V-Sync through an LM1881 would help our problem?

I didn't get far enough down the road to investigate ICs, but I'd hazard a guess that there is one that could help out. If you can prevent the twinsync issue on affected models, an H+V combined CSYNC should work on all the STs.

Many years ago when I was learning how to connect an Atari ST with a Sony KV20-XBR monitor (an RGB monitor with composite sync), I found the solution to connect the two was fairly simple. It involved connecting Hsync and Vsync with a switching diode and one or two resistors. Sorry I don't have the exact schematic - but I used this cable for years with a MegaST (no RF modulator).

Many years ago when I was learning how to connect an Atari ST with a Sony KV20-XBR monitor (an RGB monitor with composite sync), I found the solution to connect the two was fairly simple. It involved connecting Hsync and Vsync with a switching diode and one or two resistors. Sorry I don't have the exact schematic - but I used this cable for years with a MegaST (no RF modulator).

I found the cable construction article I wrote for the JACS newsletter in May, 1987. I will scan and upload it later today.

• 2 months later...

We're still working on it. we keep running into a problem with the Sync signals. not sure why but they don't seem to be compatible with the decoder chip that we have used.

No rush. Count me in. I picked up a 520ST, but hadn't researched them at all (as far as Video output) and it has no RF and I have no monitor. So it's just sitting.

I'm also in Oregon so if you need another ST or testing or ??, just let me know.

(In the Salem/Lincoln City area (I know that's not one area, we're in.. transition.. so to speak..) )

desiv

• 4 months later...