IGNORED

New Video Adapter for S-Video On Atari ST/TT Systems

Hey, sorry to dredge up an old thread but is there an update? As I am consolidating my collection this would be great for my STE.

Last thing we heard from KJmanns website was that there was an actual

working prototype, so things appear to be moving along. That wasn't

too long ago.

Hey, sorry to dredge up an old thread but is there an update? As I am consolidating my collection this would be great for my STE.

Last thing we heard from KJmanns website was that there was an actual

working prototype, so things appear to be moving along. That wasn't

too long ago.

I have two JVC sc1224's, But iam realy looking foward to this, lcd screen svideo can not wait.

• 8 months later...

.....makes it look like it's not too hard to get S-video out of the ST. I speak in relative terms. Hard for me, but not for one of you experienced tech fellas.

If the ST has a video modulator in it, it's pretty easy. I did it to my 520ST by cutting two traces on the modulator board and adding a cap and a resistor.

I so wish Atari had put a Blitter chip and the modulator in the

STacy's. Would have made my life so much simpler...especially

about going for a replacement screen... :(

As far as that goes, just wish they had stuck an STe in the darn

thing - that would have been awesome! :)

• 9 months later...

I think I have found a solution for myself using comercial products.

Atari SCART cable --> SCART coupler --> SCART to S-Video Converter --> S-Video to VGA

Is there any reason that this wouldn't work?

I have ordered the parts. I will test and post results after I get all my parts.(may be a couple weeks)

Atari SCART cable --> SCART coupler --> SCART to S-Video Converter --> S-Video to VGA

I have ordered the parts. I will test and post results after I get all my parts.(may be a couple weeks)

My experience is this type of setup works very badly, at least with the systems I've tried it on (I have not tried it on any ST systems), resulting in a black and white picture at the S-Video part. On the other hand, going straight from SCART to an HDMI converter (obviously with a SCART input) has worked perfectly for me on other systems, and you can usually get them around the $45 US range.

My experience is this type of setup works very badly, at least with the systems I've tried it on (I have not tried it on any ST systems), resulting in a black and white picture at the S-Video part. On the other hand, going straight from SCART to an HDMI converter (obviously with a SCART input) has worked perfectly for me on other systems, and you can usually get them around the $45 US range.

I don't have any hdmi devices. The SCART to svideo also puts out RCA so there are a couple of things I can try. Would an SCART to VGA work and give me color?

I don't have any hdmi devices. The SCART to svideo also puts out RCA so there are a couple of things I can try. Would an SCART to VGA work and give me color?

Composite (RCA) suffers from the same exact issues as Svideo in my experience. In theory, SCART to VGA should work as well as HDMI.

I have made all sort of experiment with many different converter without success. The key point is whether your Atari has a RF modulator or not.

If it has an RF modulator then there are several solutions because the composite signal is a composite signal! if not you are in trouble

This is very true. If your Atari has an RF box in it you get composite video that works as sync for converters. Like SCART to VGA using a XRGB or similar device,

With no RF you can tie the H and V sync lines together for sync but it only works with a few devices I've tried. Most do not work this way.

I have made all sort of experiment with many different converter without success. The key point is whether your Atari has a RF modulator or not.

If it has an RF modulator then there are several solutions because the composite signal is a composite signal! if not you are in trouble

This is very true. If your Atari has an RF box in it you get composite video that works as sync for converters. Like SCART to VGA using a XRGB or similar device,

With no RF you can tie the H and V sync lines together for sync but it only works with a few devices I've tried. Most do not work this way.

so if there is no RF then it is a shot in the dark as to weather it will work or not? did they ever make add on RF modulators?

• 4 months later...

So, I've managed to resolve the 'dancing pixels' issue, and can output a reasonably decent S-Video picture.

There does remain one issue: 50 Hz stuff.

I've gotten varying results depending on the output device, ranging from fine, to black and white only or a rolling color picture.

There's no easy way I can fix this, as it all depends on what your particular tv thinks about a psuedo-PAL picture, so 50 Hz is a crap shoot.

So is there any interest in a run of ST S-video adapters that work great at 60Hz, and YMMV at 50Hz?

Refresh our memories, what ST model(s) work with this? Is it STe only, or does it require a modulator,

how big, what power supply is needed, etc, etc,... Thanks!

It should work on any ST. :grin: (though more testing is definitely needed)

A small wall-wart will be required

The prototype is an external box with a standard ST video cable to the ST, a power input and an S-Video output.

One could easily be mounted inside an ST, which would eliminate the need for a power brick. I actually had the 1st stripboard version sitting inside a 1040 STf where the RF modulator would have been.