IGNORED

Disabling the NES lockout chip questions...

GOTHCLAWZ

I saw this video on YouTube where a man explained how to modify/replace a few things on the Nintendo including disabling the lockout chip.

Pt. 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1b5sbjFnF0&fmt=18

Pt. 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDj9gv1SB40&fmt=18

But there are some things I want to be sure of before I try this.

Q1: Is the American NES the same as the English NES in terms of locating the chip (do they look the same under the covers, if not, where is there an English tutorial)?

Q2: Will this get rid of the ripples that appear on my screen when playing the Super Mario Bros. / Duck Hunt cartridge? (the only NES game I own to test it on)

Here's a tutorial of it, but it doesn't say whether its an English console or an American console.

post-23186-1240352542_thumb.jpg

I assume that's an American console with the "NTSC" sticker on the motherboard. Do note that disabling the chip will render a very very few carts useless with your console. If you have a desoldering tool and want to put some time into it, you can actually put a switch on Pin 4 to allow you to deactivate the chip as necessary.

I assume that's an American console with the "NTSC" sticker on the motherboard. Do note that disabling the chip will render a very very few carts useless with your console. If you have a desoldering tool and want to put some time into it, you can actually put a switch on Pin 4 to allow you to deactivate the chip as necessary.

Yeah! I was thinking about making one of those, perhaps even mounting the button so its accessasble externally...

I'm totally gonna try that, call it "Lockout Chip" button or something located at the front of the console.

Does the English 'Toploader' have a lockout chip too?

Does the English 'Toploader' have a lockout chip too?

Nope it's wide open for worldwide play like a saturday night red light special.

Awesome, gonna stick with the traditional NES though (plenty of modification room & I'm getting an FC3 console).