IGNORED

I'm getting paranoid...

Animan

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but oh well.

I've been getting this paranoid feeling. I hear that some people use cases from other games to make there homebrew games. While this sounds like the most preferrable option for casing, It makes me wonder...

Won't games that there cases are used a lot become higher on the rarity scale. Eventually, won't there be a point where there are close to no more, and it becomes harder for beginning collectors to get more games than it used to?

Do ya'll agree? Or am i going crazy?

I've been getting this paranoid feeling. I hear that some people use cases from other games to make there homebrew games. While this sounds like the most preferrable option for casing, It makes me wonder...

Won't games that there cases are used a lot become higher on the rarity scale. Eventually, won't there be a point where there are close to no more, and it becomes harder for beginning collectors to get more games than it used to?

Think about it this way. There were probably over 4 million Space Invaders, and Combat carts made. Let's say that 90 percent of these were thrown out. What you have left is over 400,000 of these carts still left(Most likely this is actually a larger number. Now let's say 2,000 carts are stripped each year for some kind of homebrew(This is probably a much smaller number), what that would mean is that it would take over 175 years before these carts even became somewhat rare. Now take into acount that Space Invaders and Combat are not the only carts used. Other carts that come to mind are Pac-Man, Adventure, Missile Command. It now becomes more clear that you have nothing to worry about when it comes to carts being stripped. In fact the most troubling loss of cartridges is not homebrews.

It's all the carts the go unsold on Ebay. Take a look at how often Space Invaders, Asteroids, Pac-man, and a whole slew of others go unsold for even 1.99 plus shipping. What do you think the average non-Atari collector is going to do with those carts? Yep, that's right he or she is going to dump them out. This is probably at a much higher number than just 2K a year. In fact, think about this as well. How many people used the completed auction search find out Pac-Man, Combat, and others are basically worthless and throw them out? My guess is the actual number is much higher than those being auctioned. The real scary part has nothing to do with homebrews, it has more to do with unsold Atari 2600 carts.

Edited by homerwannabee

Think about it this way. There were probably over 4 million Space Invaders, and Combat carts made. Let's say that 90 percent of these were thrown out. What you have left is over 400,000 of these carts still left(Most likely this is actually a larger number. Now let's say 2,000 carts are stripped each year for some kind of homebrew(This is probably a much smaller number), what that would mean is that it would take over 175 years before these carts even became somewhat rare. Now take into acount that Space Invaders and Combat are not the only carts used. Other carts that come to mind are Pac-Man, Adventure, Missile Command. It now becomes more clear that you have nothing to worry about when it comes to carts being stripped. In fact the most troubling loss of cartridges is not homebrews.

It's all the carts the go unsold on Ebay. Take a look at how often Space Invaders, Asteroids, Pac-man, and a whole slew of others go unsold for even 1.99 plus shipping. What do you think the average non-Atari collector is going to do with those carts? Yep, that's right he or she is going to dump them out. This is probably at a much higher number than just 2K a year. In fact, think about this as well. How many people used the completed auction search find out Pac-Man, Combat, and others are basically worthless and throw them out? My guess is the actual number is much higher than those being auctioned. The real scary part has nothing to do with homebrews, it has more to do with unsold Atari 2600 carts.

Well, i can't argue with math, i've tried (long story). Okay, i believe ya, but it's still an intersting topic to talk about.

• 1 year later...

Heh, if they had any brains, they'd put them in a "10 ATARI GAMES L@@K RARE" lot instead of trying to sell 'em for $6 each including shipping.