IGNORED

The "I got my Skunkboard!" Thread

Hyper_Eye

Touchy touchy - I thought it was quite funny. It's not like Clu announced he was working on a game and wasn't.

Stephen Anderson

Oh sure I'm just being touchy... shouldn't make a big deal out of a couple photoshopped images passed off as the real deal. If the pictures being linked to in this thread were actually photoshopped everyone would be singing a different tune. Sorry for not giving deception a slide.

Back on topic, has anyone else needed a powered usb hub to get the full transfer speed with the skunkboard? I am wondering if there is a problem with the USB ports on the laptop I am using.

Touchy touchy - I thought it was quite funny. It's not like Clu announced he was working on a game and wasn't.

Stephen Anderson

Oh sure I'm just being touchy... shouldn't make a big deal out of a couple photoshopped images passed off as the real deal. If the pictures being linked to in this thread were actually photoshopped everyone would be singing a different tune. Sorry for not giving deception a slide.

Fair play - I've been an active member of the Jag community since 94 so I know about all the false promises, etc.

Back on topic, has anyone else needed a powered usb hub to get the full transfer speed with the skunkboard? I am wondering if there is a problem with the USB ports on the laptop I am using.

Sorry - I have unfortunately not had the time to try my Skunkboard yet.

Stephen Anderson

Nice work, Clu.. I wondered if it was a photoshop, but you did a VERY good job on it. :)

Regarding the need for a powered hub, this was true with the first run, too, I'd estimate about 10-15% of the people who mentioned it were suffering from the low speed - we saw it ourselves on one machine.

What the /actual/ cause is we are not 100% sure on, we believe it's tied to signal strength or interference. The fact that a powered hub cleans up the problem does lend support to this theory. The quality of the cable may matter as well - but it seems to depend more on the port. I've run full speed across a 20ft USB cable made up by connecting 24 shorter cables together, and I've got the 7k/s on another machine with a 3ft cable plugged in.

You can also try the other USB ports on your machine, see if they are wired up differently.

C'mon, it was a good prank! You can't hold it against anyone who fesses up within a few hours of the prank. If he had gone on for days on the other hand... :x

I've heard about 5 reports of this so far. I wish I could reproduce it here to understand it better. I think this is the first laptop report I've heard. It is definitely related to marginal signal strength. The hub will clean it right up.

One good tip is to look at "Active" USB extension cables. These cables contain a little one port hub inside. They're pretty cheap and let you go 15 or 20 feet which is a nice plus. Active is the key word.

- KS

• Like 1

That looks pretty good in the clear shell! ... I wondered if enough of the board showed through that it wouldn't need the label? :)

Would wind up something like this...

post-4709-1240803561_thumb.jpg

I think it would show through enough, this just gives you an idea of what it would look like, how the rest of it would be clear, etc etc. Ok, done photoshopping for a while.

Nice work, Clu.. I wondered if it was a photoshop, but you did a VERY good job on it. :)

Regarding the need for a powered hub, this was true with the first run, too, I'd estimate about 10-15% of the people who mentioned it were suffering from the low speed - we saw it ourselves on one machine.

What the /actual/ cause is we are not 100% sure on, we believe it's tied to signal strength or interference. The fact that a powered hub cleans up the problem does lend support to this theory. The quality of the cable may matter as well - but it seems to depend more on the port. I've run full speed across a 20ft USB cable made up by connecting 24 shorter cables together, and I've got the 7k/s on another machine with a 3ft cable plugged in.

You can also try the other USB ports on your machine, see if they are wired up differently.

I tried side ports and back ports and all resulted in the same transfer rate. I have another laptop that I plan to try. None of my other machines are close enough to try but if I have to drag the Jaguar and a television into the office to try out every usb port I have I will.

Also, I have a little software project to compliment the Skunkboard software which I plan to work on this week. It doesn't involve Photoshop though. You could spot my lack of photoshopping skills a mile away.

I tried side ports and back ports and all resulted in the same transfer rate. I have another laptop that I plan to try. None of my other machines are close enough to try but if I have to drag the Jaguar and a television into the office to try out every usb port I have I will.

Is the laptop plugged in, or running on battery?

I've seen lots of USB weirdness on laptops that aren't plugged in.

I bought an active USB cable from: http://sewelldirect.com/usb2extensioncable.asp it's 16ft. long + the USB -to- Mini-B cable I plug in the end for the Skunk adds about 2 more feet so I have about 18 ft. of cable - I don't have to move anything! It works great and transfers Jaguar data fast! :D

Edited by ovalbugmann

Is the laptop plugged in, or running on battery?

I've seen lots of USB weirdness on laptops that aren't plugged in.

This laptop was not plugged in. It was running on battery. That will be another thing to try. Thanks a lot for the ideas guys.

Alright... I tried plugging the laptop in, another laptop, and another cable. None of those things made a difference. I will try it with one of my desktop machines but that probably won't happen soon. I have not tried the second Skunkboard and I have no intention of doing that at this time. ;)

I am going to snag an "active" cable and try that. For now I will live with using the powered hub.

I have some shots of my skunk in action. Enjoy.

post-2962-1240884202_thumb.jpg

post-2962-1240884424_thumb.jpg

post-2962-1240884452_thumb.jpg

post-2962-1240884548_thumb.jpg

post-2962-1240884573_thumb.jpg

I notice in all three shots that you have the laptop on and live. I was under the impression that once you transfer the files over to the Skunkboard, the memory is static and you can disconnect the laptop. Is that right?

I notice in all three shots that you have the laptop on and live. I was under the impression that once you transfer the files over to the Skunkboard, the memory is static and you can disconnect the laptop. Is that right?

If you load a game into one of the banks you can turn everything off and use the skunk stand-alone until you want to load something else. You just hit the up button for bank 1 and down for bank 2. I am sure that you could also disconnect the cable after loading a game into memory. I just haven't really been disconnecting the cable while using the board because I am loading a lot of things in.

I am going to snag an "active" cable and try that. For now I will live with using the powered hub.

I'm glad you have a workaround for now.

I have some shots of my skunk in action. Enjoy.

Whoa, that is one sweet classic gaming set up! The only thing I don't see is a 7800. ;)

- KS

Curious, is there a way to get this to work under Win98?

It's hypothetically possible but you really need to know your Windows. You need Win 98 Second Edition minimum and you have to get the libusb Win98SE installed on your own. After that you need the Visual Studio Redistributables and some finger crossing. It might work! It's not supported though.

There is talk of a OS X (Mac) version. Where can someone find that?

It should build from source code. If you know an OS X developer, they can build this for you. belboz built an earlier version and if you contact him I'm sure he'll share it with you. The earlier version can't use the second bank but otherwise it should work fine.

- KS

It should build from source code. If you know an OS X developer, they can build this for you. belboz built an earlier version and if you contact him I'm sure he'll share it with you. The earlier version can't use the second bank but otherwise it should work fine.

- KS

I happen to be a *nix and OS X developer. I also maintain the universal OS X release of Odamex (see my sig). I would be happy to slap a build together. It won't be tonight though.

- KS

I happen to be a *nix and OS X developer. I also maintain the universal OS X release of Odamex (see my sig). I would be happy to slap a build together. It won't be tonight though.

Hey I would look forward to seeing that. Question for both you and kSkunk, considering what was said above, this would be a compilation built on the more current code that could make use of the two flash banks?

(Would be nice if I could load this from my Mac since that is what I generally use, and the laptop I have I've found the rest of the Jaguar development world is Win98, so was hesitant to upgrade that laptop.)

Hey I would look forward to seeing that. Question for both you and kSkunk, considering what was said above, this would be a compilation built on the more current code that could make use of the two flash banks?

(Would be nice if I could load this from my Mac since that is what I generally use, and the laptop I have I've found the rest of the Jaguar development world is Win98, so was hesitant to upgrade that laptop.)

The support for the 2 flash banks is in the code so if a build was made with the current code it would use both yes. I built jcp in OS X real quick to see if there would be any major work involved and there isn't at all. You need to have gcc installed which you can install from your OS X discs or get it from the Apple website.

Download libusb 0.1.12 here: http://sourceforge.net/project/downloading...&a=32338660

Unpack it:

tar -xvf libusb-0.1.12.tar

Go into the libusb folder and build it:

./configure
make
sudo make install

Go into the Skunkboard source directory.

Edit jcp.c

At line 134 you will see a block of defines.

Add the following code here:

#ifndef u_long
#define u_long unsigned long
#endif

Then build it:

make

It should build and you should have a bin you can run. I won't package this as it simply isn't enough for a proper package. If I package it up it will be a universal build and libusb would be statically linked.

Download libusb 0.1.12 here: http://sourceforge.net/project/downloading...&a=32338660

Unpack it:

tar -xvf libusb-0.1.12.tar

Go into the libusb folder and build it:

./configure
 make
 sudo make install

Hmmm... seems I need a C compiler in the path. Is there one on the Mac you'd recommend? Oh wait, you mentioned GCC... let me see if I can find that on the install discs for OS X...

greg-goodwins-powerbook-g4-17:~/Desktop/libusb-0.1.12 greggoodwin$ ./configure

checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c

checking whether build environment is sane... yes

checking for gawk... no

checking for mawk... no

checking for nawk... no

checking for awk... awk

checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... no

checking build system type... powerpc-apple-darwin8.11.0

checking host system type... powerpc-apple-darwin8.11.0

checking for style of include used by make... none

checking for gcc... no

checking for cc... no

checking for cc... no

checking for cl... no

configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH

See `config.log' for more details.

greg-goodwins-powerbook-g4-17:~/Desktop/libusb-0.1.12 greggoodwin$

Edited by doctorclu

#ifndef u_long
#endif

Hmm! That one didn't come up in testing.. where are you seeing u_long being used?

I went to add it to the distribution but I can't see where it is referenced. :) LibUSB header?

BTW: I love seeing the pics of people's setups. :)

Edited by Tursi

I got my Skunkboard today (my order number was in the mid 30s somewhere), and got the chance to try it out. The latest version of jcp compiled easily on my Debian Etch system (gcc 4.1.2, libusb 0.1.12-5), and I was seeing ~300Kb/s transfers on the small files I tested over the included USB cable.

I'm pretty impressed so far, and am looking forward to messing with it some more. It scares the hell out of me that I'm going to break this little thing, though, so I'm considering putting it and an extra Jaguar in a PC case of some sort, so that it can stay in and be protected full-time.

This is a great little device, I'm glad I was able to get in on this production run.

#ifndef u_long
#endif

Hmm! That one didn't come up in testing.. where are you seeing u_long being used?

I went to add it to the distribution but I can't see where it is referenced. :) LibUSB header?

BTW: I love seeing the pics of people's setups. :)

It is used twice to typecast in jcp.c

line 765 in DoSerialInfo() as a cast from (unsigned char *) to (unsigned long *)

line 817 in DoSerialBig()... same cast.