IGNORED

The "I got my Skunkboard!" Thread

Hyper_Eye

I can confirm that SLAM.COF (Slam Racer) loads just fine. I've never seen this demo before: it's an overhead racer, similar in feel to Power Drive Rally, and is fun.

This Skunkboard is an awesome release!! :D

I can confirm that SLAM.COF (Slam Racer) loads just fine. I've never seen this demo before: it's an overhead racer, similar in feel to Power Drive Rally, and is fun.

This Skunkboard is an awesome release!! :D

It is. I have been extensively testing images and programs both rom and ram. With the exception of the Badcoder demos, the only images that have not worked were ones that were said in passing the Skunkboard was not designed to work with.

First time I've been made aware of this......perhaps a closer study next time you play?

Try to figure out if certain conditions cause this? I'll look at the code if you figure it out.

As for the Surrounded error... just found out that having the Skunkboard connected through the CD unit (without the power supply) caused the Skunkboard to act slightly odd. Game has worked fine since. (I have removed the CD unit from the equation, have the Skunkboard connected directly to the Jaguar unit.)

As for the Surrounded error... just found out that having the Skunkboard connected through the CD unit (without the power supply) caused the Skunkboard to act slightly odd. Game has worked fine since. (I have removed the CD unit from the equation, have the Skunkboard connected directly to the Jaguar unit.)

Hm, interesting. It's true that memory, registers, and chips are set up quite differently after a CD boot than a non-CD boot. Some games may be sensitive to this.

So it may be the presence of the CD making the game act weird, not the Skunkboard acting weird. Unless you mean something other than 'some games don't work with the CD in'?

- Ks

So far just Surrounded acts noticably different with the CD/Skunkboard combo.

That's a good clue. The Skunkboard code made a bunch of assumptions that didn't work properly with how the CD set up low memory, interrupts, and the DSP/GPU. I think those are all ironed out, but maybe Surrounded has a few of those?

- KS

We had a couple of similar issues during testing of the CD compatible code, something about the CD unit causes rare problems. It's unclear whether it's due to the Skunk's code or the CD drive or the software itself or some combination of the above. We are pretty sure that it came down to the software under test itself (after many iterations of various tests), but nothing's ever 100% certain when it comes to code. ;)

A few more Skunk2 comments:

1) I find the MS-DOS command box doesn't like long names. Put the files in a directory just off the root of the drive: ie. C:\SKUNK works a lot better than C:\Windows\My_files\Desktop\Skunkboard2. And it can save you a lot of typing! :D

2) I knew that the Skunk2 could handle most BJLs and flash ROMs, but I didn't quite get the difference.

C:\jcp my_bjl_file.cof copies the BJL file through the Skunkboard into the Jaguar's internal RAM. When you turn off the Jaguar, it 'forgets' the BJL file.

The first couple of times I loaded a BJL file, I wondered why the game disappeared when I power-cycled my Jaguar... :)

3) Being able to have two different ROMs in a single card is awesome! I was able to move back and forth between a couple of Beta ROMs without having to do anything other than power-cycle the Jaguar. Saaa-weet feature! My only complaint is that it would be nice to have more flash memory for even more ROMs on standby.... ;)

4) I was thinking of carving up an extra Cybermorph shell with a Dremel, but I really like the small, sleek look of the Skunkboard2. The black PSB with the logo looks terrific, so I think I might leave it as is and just be really careful handling it.

All in all, this is the best money I've spent on videogames in a long time!

Edited by ls650

1) I find the MS-DOS command box doesn't like long names. Put the files in a directory just off the root of the drive: ie. C:\SKUNK works a lot better than C:\Windows\My_files\Desktop\Skunkboard2. And it can save you a lot of typing! :D

In a DOS box, double quotes are your friend around long file names with spaces in.

You could also use wild cards and the TAB key to cycle through files. For example typing :-

dir j*.*

and then pressing TAB will cycle through all files in the current directory that begin with j every time you TAB. When you press RETURN you'll get the file's details. Hope this helps.

In a DOS box, double quotes are your friend around long file names with spaces in.

You could also use wild cards and the TAB key to cycle through files. For example typing :-

dir j*.*

and then pressing TAB will cycle through all files in the current directory that begin with j every time you TAB. When you press RETURN you'll get the file's details. Hope this helps.

You don't need the wild cards to do that. Just type 'j' and hit tab.

You don't need the wild cards to do that. Just type 'j' and hit tab.

I didn't know that :cool: . Its just force of habit for me to add a wild card after years and years of using DOS boxes.

It's a habit for me not to after years and years of using *nix. :cool:

If you add the Skunkboard directory to your path, you don't even need to do that :)

Just type (assuming you are using C:\SKUNK\, else replace with the real path):

PATH=%path%;C:\SKUNK\

This is forgotten when you close the command prompt, making it safe to use if you are worried about messing something up. Then "jcp" is always available no matter what folder you have CD'd into.

Edited by Tursi

Hm, interesting. It's true that memory, registers, and chips are set up quite differently after a CD boot than a non-CD boot. Some games may be sensitive to this.

So it may be the presence of the CD making the game act weird, not the Skunkboard acting weird. Unless you mean something other than 'some games don't work with the CD in'?

- Ks

I know when your are trying play I-War with the JagCD installed and using RGB out, you'll get a black screen on your monitor but all you'll get is sound from the game! ;)

Edited by walter_J64bit

OK I didnt sacrifice my Battlesphere....But I did kill a game to make my Skunkboard case.

I gave it a "see thru" front with some plexi glass "I put a pin on it to show how I can make stuff hover"!

But dont think Im done yet, I have a couple of other mods to add...when I get more free time..

Hope you like... :D

post-6530-1241653767_thumb.jpg

OK I didnt sacrifice my Battlesphere....But I did kill a game to make my Skunkboard case.

I gave it a "see thru" front with some plexi glass "I put a pin on it to show how I can make stuff hover"!

But dont think Im done yet, I have a couple of other mods to add...when I get more free time..

Hope you like... :D

post-6530-1241653767_thumb.jpg

Whoa, how is anybody gonna outdo that? Lights? Painted-on flames? ;)

Seriously that's an awesome mod. I especially love the little label you added with the board #. Very cool design.

- KS

Thanks,

Im going to do a few more test labels, but this one is simple and so far I like the most.

If my Dremel liked me better I woulda had it done alot sooner and cleaner. Im still debating on a "paint job"

But Im diggin the whole B & W theme tho..Its VERY hard for me not to put color in my work!

But we will see... :D