IGNORED

What kind of paints should I use on my console?

GOTHCLAWZ

Hey, I have a PAL SNES & a PAL NES, I am quite experienced in Stencil work (graffiti) & would like to know just what kind of paints will be best suited with the covers of consoles (including glow in the dark paint).

I heard that oil based paints are better than water based when painting plastics.

Here's my consoles:

post-23186-1240700989_thumb.jpg

Edited by GOTHCLAWZ

Best paint is Krylon fusion, it bonds to the plastic, so wont rub/flake/fall off. Expensive though

http://www.caswelleurope.co.uk/krylon_fusion.htm

other than that Plasticote stuff, but be prepared for it to wear off.

Best is to do lots of really fine coats rather than one big gloopy mess

If you just want one colour, you can use Dylon fabric dye for nylon, as long as you are moving to a darker colour

Edited by mimo

Well, for a small project like a single console (or controller or whatever) why not use modeling paint? I do know now not to use Laytex (like typical house paint) it doesn't stick worth a crap to plastic, or it didn't to my X-box, to bad to, I had a cool paintjob and all that stuck was the glow in the dark enamel paint on the sides (thoug that's kinda cool, but looks wierd without the flames and stuff)

Why not try a hobby or model shop since those can be plastic?

Well, you could always use whatever it is that grotesquely colored and plastered your hair down in your avatar since it looks fairly permanent, although I am afraid to know what in fact was used. :woozy: :D

I think the color is called "wannabe this cool in real life but I'm stuck looking like a fucktart on the interwebs", I think they discontinued it in spray form and now it only comes in drowning buckets. :evil: :twisted: :P (the " :P " makes it ok, I asked Chicky)

There is a guy over at NintendoAge that does awesome custom paint jobs. He says that he uses automotive paint. He goes by user name "CUSTOM NES GUY" if you want to ask him some questions. You can see some of his work in this gif (his avatar)...

post-15767-1241053013.gif

And he goes by jayrod2 on YouTube..

http://www.youtube.com/user/jayrod2

Thankyou for that helpful link. Though I would like to do it myself & I'm not at all experienced first hand in painting cars.

You should put glow in the dark paint on the black part of the inside of your NES (the part that goes up and down and holds the cartridge).

Maybe an LED or flat lite, but glow in the dark paint needs to be 'charged' in order to work, no way to do tat from inside, unless you add an internal light (I guess you could, and a small switch so it comes on when the door is closed)

You should put glow in the dark paint on the black part of the inside of your NES (the part that goes up and down and holds the cartridge).

Maybe an LED or flat lite, but glow in the dark paint needs to be 'charged' in order to work, no way to do tat from inside, unless you add an internal light (I guess you could, and a small switch so it comes on when the door is closed)

Yeah, inside LED (black light LED at that) which will make it glow when the system is off!