IGNORED

Atari 7800 HSC reloaded Round 16 "Mario Bros."

darthkur

118124213765.jpg

s_MarioBros_13.png

There's pests in the pipe's and it's up to you, Mario, to plumb them out. And since your trusty brother Luigi is out of town at the moment it all falls upon your shoulders. Stand underneath the floor upon which the little cretins walk and punch it with all your might. When the critter is stunned hurry to it and give it a good swift boot. Some pests might take more than one hit to stun or a more precise blow so stay on your toes. Be sure to grab those coins because they are quite valuable. Beware especially of the dreaded fireballs because the slightest touch will make plumber flambé out of you.

Emulators are fine as is whatever controller you feel the most comfortable with. Screenshots are great but not mandatory.

Settings: Standard, One Player (default)

Contest ends on: 5-11-09 at 1:00am EST.

Final High Scores:

1st: roadrunner - 895,290 +11

2nd: famicommander - 212,240 +10

3rd: darthkur - 125,140 +9

4th: keitaro - 111,360 +8

5th: gdement - 102,700 +7

6th: atomickneedrop - 91,640 +6

7th: Kurt_Woloch - 88,760 +5

8th: mightymage - 67,200 +4

9th: aftermac - 59,430 +3

10th: xZanU - 40,040 +2

11th: LarcenTyler - 11,470 +1

Current Standings:

1st - famicommander (106) (3)

2nd - Darthkur (97)

3rd - xZanU (80) (3)

4th - keitaro (79) (1)

5th - HammR25 (64) (1)

6th - roadrunner (61) (1)

7th - gdement (59) (1)

8th - atomickneedrop (50)

9th - aftermac (43) (1)

10th - AtariFever (41)

11th - suaiden (38) (1)

12th - Sauron (37) (2)

13th - doctorclu (34)

14th - Almost Rice (32)

15th - shadow460 (25)

16th - chuckwalla (22)

17th - rockman_x_2002 (18) (1)

18th - LarcenTyler (17)

18th - LaserHawk (17)

19th - MrBeefy (14)

20th - Shannon (12)

21st - ratfink (11) (1)

22nd - Allan (10)

22nd - theKLT (10)

23rd - Lord Thag (8)

23rd - thursday83 (8)

24th - midnight magicman (7)

25th - Artlover (5)

26th - AdeptRapier (4)

26th - bfutrel (4)

26th - Zoyx (4)

27th - Kurt_Woloch (1)

27th - mightymage (1)

Numbers in RED are accumulated points. Numbers in BLUE are number of rounds won.

Link to the official manual: Mario Bros. Manual

Edited by darthkur

Does anyone have strategy tips for this game? I played it a bit more today, but scored lower than my current high score. Guess I am just having trouble paying attention to all the moving bits.

EDIT: Score Update

post-21467-1241207401_thumb.png

The only thing I figured out is that you can run across to (through) the other side of the board to avoid the spinning green things, I've tried to run under, jump over them in the past but never could. Runnin away from works great!

EDIT2: Got a better score, last one was 31,400.

Edited by xZanU

Roadrunner is good at this one. I have a hard time with sliding around and missing my jumps, but am getting better. The twin galaxies site lists scores in the 2,000,000 range. Just got to find your groove I suppose : )

phase 87

i really like this game.

Tips -

take out the sidesteppers as soon as possible. with the second punch try to get the sidestepper to land on the same floor as mario.

make sure you get all the coins on every coin phase. that really helps to increase the score.

post-22103-1241381252_thumb.jpg

OK, here's my best so far... 88760 (as shown on the upper high score line).

The first thing that occured to me here is the low framerate, which reminds me a bit of the Colecovision versions of Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jr. I suppose they didn't make it to rewrite the display list in each frame. Of course the arcade original has a smooth 60 Hz framerate. Then the animation of the turtles are a bit comical since they somehow seem to dance around erratically. And of course you have to get a feeling for this version and its somewhat incorrect implementation of physics - not that the arcade version was 100% accurate, but this one here is even more questionable, with the pests, when they reach the bottom pipe, jumping straight into the air and then sideways. Also, it seems that here you are a bit faster going left and right when jumping than when running (similar to Miner 2049er on the Atari 2600), which also wasn't the case in the arcade version.

I've played the C-64 version of this for a long time (the one by Atarisoft which I'm not even sure if it was ever really released, not the one by Ocean), and I have to say that they did a better job on the C-64, in my opinion. The sounds sound better (unless you have one of those slightly buggy sound chips which sometimes switches off one of the voices without it having been requested by the CPU, which in this case means you lose part of the sound effects, because Atarisoft here chose to leave all sound channels on and then only vary the frequency!), and the animation also looks better, even showing a smooth framerate. On the other hand, if more than 8 objects appear on the screen there, all of them start to flicker!

But all in all, it's an enjoyable version, and at least Mario looks like Mario.

Mario_Brothers__1988___Atari__03.bmp

Edited by Kurt_Woloch

post-5182-1241681319_thumb.png

This game is aggravating, more than I remembered. Could they have put the respawn point anywhere more dangerous?

On both of my good games, I did fine then lost 2-3 lives in rapid succession on a pretty simple level. The POW block doesn't seem very useful, I can't set up more than a 2 turtle combo regardless.

I'll probably try again, because my good games were cut short by such sudden and massive choking.