IGNORED

Bifröst (2600)

s0c7

Haven't had a chance to try the latest version yet, but from the descriptions, just wondering why Fenris and the serpent both take the same amount of hits? Shouldn't the last one be harder? The only other thing I would have liked to see was enemies that shoot at you, like throwing spears.

Great game either way.

Hope you don't quit for good. I love your games.

The Serpent is faster. I tried giving it 7 hits one time, but thought that made it a little too hard. I can bump it back up though if people think it needs it.

As far as shooting enemies, that would have made it too hard I think.

I appreciate all the support everybody has given me over the years. May pick it back up sometime, just not the immediate future.

• 7 years later...

Played this for the first time in years today. Noticed it was doing crazy stuff in Stella when I had it set to start up in a random state, so I have fixed that. New version in first post. For those who have never played, the speech sample is saying 'Prepare for battle' and yes, I know the scanline count jumps during the speech. It doesn't matter. There's nothing on the screen at the time. I may make a few more tweaks at some point.

• Like 3

It's fun to see things like this resurface that I hadn't known about, since I've been on these boards for a "mere" two years now. :-D

Anyway, I gave it a try, and it works great! Very challenging; you need to plan your shots well.

Thanks! Glad you like it. I've been around for a while, but I still feel like a newbie myself. No matter when you hop on the AA train, there are always others who got on earlier who were doing cool stuff before you. It's just nice to be part of it all.

BTW - I don't keep up with the bB scene as much as I used to, but I had a look at Space Game the other day. Great job! I hope you keep making games.

Edited by s0c7
  • Like 3

• 6 months later...

James from ZPH let me know his setup was losing sync during the speech routine, which by necessity jumps way up on scanlines used (Quadrun does the same thing). CRT's should be fine and a lot of the newer TV's too (mine run it without issue). But as resolutions get higher and TV's become more finicky, I figured I'd put a speechless version up as well (added to the first post). The gameplay is the same. The 4k version has the speech sample, the 2k does not. Originally the game was a 2k entry in a mini game compo anyway.

Just want to clarify something I was asked recently. Killing the Midgard Serpent and the Rainbow Bridge color cycling doesn't mean you've won. It just means you've cleared that round. Hitting fire starts the next round. It is just a chance to for you to rest for a minute. Also, I have no plan to put this on cart. This was used as a basis for Scott's "Army of Darkness" hack a while back, so the game has already seen a cart release.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

We'll be featuring Bifröst LIVE on this Wednesday's ZeroPage Homebrew stream on Twitch at 11AM PT | 2PM ET | 6PM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Twitch Stream: https://www.twitch.t...ropagehomebrew/

Games:
- Championship Golf (2019 WIP) by Edward Smith aka easmith
- EggVenture 2600 (2011 WIP) by Jurell Silks aka ScumSoft
- Bifröst (2019 Update) by David Weavil aka s0c7
- Diamond Drop (2015 WIP) by by Steve Engelhardt aka Atarius Maximus

1035589231_20190710-LetsPlay.thumb.jpg.c8cf626f801de2e25e24d599ab5554f4.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MemberAtarian said:

Somehow I missed this one, really lovable. Your were able to record more speech than I on 2K, imprissive! Is it 2bit only?

Yes, the speech is really impressive.  I can't take credit for that.  Eckhard Stolberg wrote the routine/utils originally.  You can check it out here:

https://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archives/199702/msg00018.html

It's been almost a decade since I used that, but as best I recall I simply loaded the .wav up in CoolEdit and downsampled it until I got it as low as I could go and still sound ok.  The 'Prepare for battle!' is actually a MAME wav file from Space Fury.

Edited by s0c7