IGNORED

2009 Stanley Cup contest - ENTER NOW!

bcprs1

Starting with the second round, I am running a contest for the rest of the NHL playoffs. The contest is simply to give your predictions for the quarterfinals, semi-finals and finals. Points will be awarded as follows:

Quarterfinals - 1 point

Semi- 2 points

Stanley Cup- 4 points

Rules:

1. Once the first round is over, I will post all the matchups for the quarterfinals. Once I do that, you can start posting your predictions.

2. You can make edits up to when the puck drops at the start of the first Quarterfinal game. Any edits made after that and you will be disqualified.

3. Winner is whoever gets the most points. Tie breakers will be determined by the number of total goals scored during the Stanley Cup finals. Whoever comes closest to the total. (this is not like the price is right, you can go over the total). If still tied, winner drawn from a hat.

4. I am going to give an example post to show what I want your guesses to look like.

5. Winners get to choose between some really good stuff. Valued at around $20- $30

6. Contest is open to everyone.

First Round

1. Boston vs 8. Montreal - Boston wins 4-0

2. Washington vs 7. New York Rangers - Washington wins 4-3

3. New Jersey vs 6. Carolina - Carolina wins 4-3

4. Pittsburgh vs 5. Philadelphia - Pittsburgh wins 4-2

1. San Jose vs 8. Anaheim - Anaheim wins 4-2

2. Detroit vs 7. Columbus - Detroit wins 4-0

3. Vancouver vs 6. St. Louis - Vancouver wins 4-0

4. Chicago vs 5. Calgary - Chicago wins 4-2

Second Round

1. Boston vs 4. Carolina

2. Washington vs 3. Pittsburgh

1. Detroit vs 4. Anaheim

2. Vancouver vs 3. Chicago

Example Post

QF1: Boston

QF2: Washington

QF3: Detroit

QF4: Vancouver

SF1: Boston

SF2: Detroit

SC: Boston

Total goals: 18

YOU ONLY HAVE UNTIL THURSDAY NIGHT 4/30 AT 7PM EST TO ENTER

Edited by bcprs1

QF2: Pittsburgh

SC: Detroit

Total goals: 25

Hmm... Chicago vs Vancouver is a tough call... might have to give this some more thought, but I'll go with Vancouver for now...

Yea, sounds about right, although Detroit better not take Anaheim lightly. I also think Vancouver will prevail but they'll have a much tougher time then they did with the Blues. Lot of great young guns on Chicago and if Kabibuliin is a wall it'll be tight.

Total goals: 25

Hmm... Chicago vs Vancouver is a tough call... might have to give this some more thought, but I'll go with Vancouver for now...

Yea, sounds about right, although Detroit better not take Anaheim lightly. I also think Vancouver will prevail but they'll have a much tougher time then they did with the Blues. Lot of great young guns on Chicago and if Kabibuliin is a wall it'll be tight.

Agreed. Detroit needs to play hard every shift. Anaheim is a good physical team, but if Osgood can stay hot and they play tight defense, then the Wings should take it in 5 or 6.

Chicago could easily make short work of their series if Khabibulin gets on a roll. I still think Vancouver is the better team, but Chicago has been red-hot lately. Should be interesting.

I'm tired of friggin' piss poor officiating!!!! :mad: :mad: Ducks/Wings should be going to overtime... what a blown whistle... TOTAL BS!!!

I can't argure with you about the poor calls. Though in a way it's poetic justice. A missed call on Holmstom's big elbow, that put Wisniewski in the hospital, resulted in the wings first goal so it turns on them that a bad call robbed them of the second.

Mitch

I'm tired of friggin' piss poor officiating!!!! :mad: :mad: Ducks/Wings should be going to overtime... what a blown whistle... TOTAL BS!!!

I can't argure with you about the poor calls. Though in a way it's poetic justice. A missed call on Holmstom's big elbow, that put Wisniewski in the hospital, resulted in the wings first goal so it turns on them that a bad call robbed them of the second.

Mitch

True, but calls were missed both ways. Holmstrom was tangled up with another player, but it could have been called. However, the refs also didn't call a slash on Osgood that caused the Ducks second goal. The NHL is supposed to be eliminating baseball bat swings to the goalies.

Also, it wasn't Holmstrom's elbow didn't put Wisniewski in the hospital. Replay clearly showed that earlier in that play he was hit in the chest with a puck after a slapshot and struggled to skate after that. As he was wheeled away on the stretcher he was clutching his chest. He just stayed down after the elbow.

I'm sure the Duck's announcers didn't point these things out though. ;)

EDIT: Also the Ducks overtime goal the other night was off-sides and the refs blew that call, too. I'd say the Ducks have the advantage in bad calls, so far.

Edited by aftermac

EDIT: Also the Ducks overtime goal the other night was off-sides and the refs blew that call, too. I'd say the Ducks have the advantage in bad calls, so far.

Yeah but skill triumphs over bad calls. Wings will win it, it will just take longer. Can't do much about bad refing.

Tempest

Yeah but skill triumphs over bad calls. Wings will win it, it will just take longer. Can't do much about bad refing.

Tempest

Agreed. I fully expect the Wings to come out strong in game 4 and tie the series. The Wings played really lackluster in the first half of the game and put themselves in a hole... not to take anything away from the Ducks... they've played really tight defense, so far.

Mitch

True, but calls were missed both ways. Holmstrom was tangled up with another player, but it could have been called. However, the refs also didn't call a slash on Osgood that caused the Ducks second goal. The NHL is supposed to be eliminating baseball bat swings to the goalies.

Also, it wasn't Holmstrom's elbow didn't put Wisniewski in the hospital. Replay clearly showed that earlier in that play he was hit in the chest with a puck after a slapshot and struggled to skate after that. As he was wheeled away on the stretcher he was clutching his chest. He just stayed down after the elbow.

I was watching the VS feed not a local one. They didn't say at the time what he was going to the hospital for but the last thing before he went to the ice was the elbow to the head. Last time I checked that was a penalty. :ponder: The refs were very inconsistant with their calls regardless.

And Selanne owned Osgood. :P That was the best goal of the night. :evil:

Mitch

Mitch

I was watching the VS feed not a local one. They didn't say at the time what he was going to the hospital for but the last thing before he went to the ice was the elbow to the head. Last time I checked that was a penalty. :ponder: The refs were very inconsistant with their calls regardless.

And Selanne owned Osgood. :P That was the best goal of the night. :evil:

Mitch

I try to avoid VS if at all possible. :) Fox Sports Detroit showed the Datsyuk slapshot to the chest several times. I heard on the radio today that he has a lung contusion, so that would be consistent with the replays.

I wouldn't argue if Holmstrom had gotten a penalty, but it was incidental contact... there was no intent. I don't think Homer even knew he was there. He was tangled up with another Duck and trying to regain his balance. There have been far worse calls and non-calls in the series.

If the Ducks win, that's fine, I just hate seeing the games decided by bad calls... and there are a LOT of bad and inconsistent calls in the NHL. The NHL will publicly defend the refs to maintain the "integrity" of the game, but I guarantee the refs have been put on notice.

Yes, the Selanne goal was a thing of beauty. ;) There's nothing more exciting than a clean breakaway! After stopping two breakaways in game 2 Osgood was bound to let one in at some point. However, both goalies have been great in the series. With that said, I'm predicting a 3-0 Wings victory in game 4. :)

Shawn Sr.

QF3: Anaheim

SF2: Vancouver

SC: Vancouver

Total Goals: 17

aftermac

Total Goals: 25

Tempest

SF1: Pittsburgh

Total Goals: 19

roadrunner

QF4: Chicago

SC: Pittsburgh

Total Goals: 20

superomni

QF1: Carolina

SF1: Washington

SC: Washington

Omegamatrix

Total Goals: 21

Mitch

SF2: Anaheim

SC: Anaheim

Edited by bcprs1

Chicago wins - 4-2

Pittsburgh wins - 4-3

Shawn Sr. - 1/4

aftermac 1/11

Tempest 1/11

roadrunner 2/12

superomni 0/2

Omegamatrix 2/12

Mitch 1/9

Edited by bcprs1

I was at Game 7 last night of the Bruins - Hurricanes and it was the most depressing thing ever. I give Carolina credit for not backing down about blowing a 3-1 series lead. The Bruins had a great season, but what a way to go out. It felt like the air just left the building at they scored in OT.

Carolina wins 4-3

Pittsburgh wins - 4-3

Detroit wins 4-3

Chicago wins - 4-2

aftermac 2/8

Omegamatrix 3/11

roadrunner 3/11

Tempest 2/10

Mathmatically Eliminated

Mitch 1/1

Shawn Sr. - 1/1

superomni 1/1

Edited by bcprs1

I was at Game 7 last night of the Bruins - Hurricanes and it was the most depressing thing ever. I give Carolina credit for not backing down about blowing a 3-1 series lead. The Bruins had a great season, but what a way to go out. It felt like the air just left the building at they scored in OT.

That's a rough way to go out. I was pulling for the Bruins for an original 6 finals, but that will have to wait for another year. They did have a great year though.

Strategically, for this contest, it looks like I need Carolina to beat Pittsburgh, Detroit to beat Chicago, Detroit to beat Carolina, then win the tie-breaker vs. Tempest...

Edited by aftermac