IGNORED

I was never a fan of PONG, always perfered the Coleco Telstar Color.

mcjakeqcool

• 1 month later...

Actually, Ralph Baer of Magnaox had a prototype for the Odyssey, the first Home game system, in 1968.

The "Brown Box", as it was called, Had a tennis game and a few other games on it. Even when the Odyssey was released in 1972, it still predated Atari's Arcade PONG. When PONG was released, Baer Threatened to sue Atari, so Bushnell (Atari) and Baer Reached a settlement Allowing Bushnell to release Pong, in exchange for a Royalty.

Technically, Baer's Tennis was'nt even the first version of Video tennis. A guy Modified a radar unit to play tennis.

This was in 1958! It was called "Tennis for two".

"Tennis for Two"-the first ever video game :)

Yes, the Sears Tele-games model which was OEM'd by Atari. That's a color console. Maybe you just happened to play it on a b&w tv.

whell i thought that original pong not super pong sears or not i thought that super pong had the 4 game selector switch

and original Atari pong and super pong has a color bursting crystal it dOES NOT DO COLOR JUST MAKES IT RAINBOW COLORED!!! NOT A BIG DEAL . thats why i used the orange monitor look here

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...659&hl=pong

I still think its cool were still talking about pong in witch we shouuld be talking about pong256k

pong_cabbig-web.jpg

Arcade pong (b&w)

atpong.jpg

home pong (color) - special thanks to David Winter, this is from his site.

The First PONG unit was actually a Sears PONG system. Sears was the exclusive retailer to sell PONG.

Actually, Ralph Baer of Magnaox had a prototype for the Odyssey, the first Home game system, in 1968.

The "Brown Box", as it was called, Had a tennis game and a few other games on it. Even when the Odyssey was released in 1972, it still predated Atari's Arcade PONG. When PONG was released, Baer Threatened to sue Atari, so Bushnell (Atari) and Baer Reached a settlement Allowing Bushnell to release Pong, in exchange for a Royalty.

Technically, Baer's Tennis was'nt even the first version of Video tennis. A guy Modified a radar unit to play tennis.

This was in 1958! It was called "Tennis for two".

Huh? It was an oscilliscope, not a radar unit. And Baer never threatened to sue Atari nor did he reach any settlement with them - that was Magnavox.

"Tennis for Two"-the first ever video game :)

This has been discussed ad-nauseum here, it was not - there was no video signal, and no actual on screen player symbol manipulation. It used an oscilliscope (which works like an etch-a-sketch) and an analog computer. The "video" in the term "video game" was coined for a reason.

Edited by wgungfu

The First PONG unit was actually a Sears PONG system. Sears was the exclusive retailer to sell PONG.

I'm not sure what you're meaning to state - that was already discussed above - i.e. the Sears units were OEM'd by Atari. And the first home pong unit was Sears, not the arcade.