IGNORED

New Subforum Request - Apple II

ColecoFan1981

I would like to see a new subforum within these forums in the future devoted to the programming of the Apple II computer system.

Why? I would like to know how to decode its six (!) colors (a number that was greatly increased with the introduction of the IIGS and its 8/16-bit crossover 65C816 processor), finding out all their RGB values and hex triplets. However, I would also like to request the IIGS's 65C816 color palette, too.

Thank you,

Ben Edge (ColecoFan1981)

Edited by ColecoFan1981

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That is totally true.

My only gripe at this time is not having room for a great setup. I would do an Apple, CoCo III, Atari, SGI, C64 and various consoles, if I had the room. Classic gaming and computing is a lot of fun. Factor in the cool hardware people are building now, and it's a whole new game.

The community here at AA is really great. Most people are fun, easy to talk to, and we all enjoy retro stuff, Atari and more.

Having said that and a vote for an Apple ][ sub-forum, that Apple community linked is solid. Not so gaming focused, but totally accessible from my first glance. If I were more active with Apple, I would be there in a second.

I think somebody needs to put a VCS on a card, house it in an Apple case and make a cool dev system. That's the kind of thing Apples are great for. Interfacing things to the machine is easy because of the slots. Kind of like SIO is for the Atari, only more direct. One of these days, when I do free up some room, I would love to score a ][+ and build some stuff to run in the slots.

• 2 weeks later...
Why not a subforum for more old consoles? Like NES , SMS/GG , Intellivision , Fairchild Channel-F , SG-1000 ... but It'd probably get out of hand :[

It´s Atariage..................not Consolesheaven............or Commodorefreedom..........

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

an apple II forum would be totally awesome. Once we get past the initial 'warez rekwestz' it would get rockin'badass! the initial wares requests would be from folks starting up their collection and emulation stuff. But a great resource repository could get put together very quickly. I have literally tens of gigs of stuff to contribute!

• 4 weeks later...

That is totally true.

I think somebody needs to put a VCS on a card, house it in an Apple case and make a cool dev system. That's the kind of thing Apples are great for. Interfacing things to the machine is easy because of the slots. Kind of like SIO is for the Atari, only more direct. One of these days, when I do free up some room, I would love to score a ][+ and build some stuff to run in the slots.

If this is to happen, perhaps it could be done with hardware of this sort..!

http://www.altium.com/products/the-nanoboard/en/the-nanoboard_home.cfm

http://www.applelogic.org/index.html

http://www.applefritter.com/files/A2XC3S1500_0.jpeg

imagine a dual-core atari soft 2600 in a fpga hosted in this thing! bwaaahahahah!!

Why not a subforum for more old consoles? Like NES , SMS/GG , Intellivision , Fairchild Channel-F , SG-1000 ... but It'd probably get out of hand :[

It´s Atariage..................not Consolesheaven............or Commodorefreedom..........

This site already had subforums for x-box and ps3, so why not apple ][?? Apple ][ is more inline with the roots of atariage than say the wii or xb360..!

And for those that don't want to visit the apple forum, then just simply don't!

This site already had subforums for x-box and ps3, so why not apple ][?? Apple ][ is more inline with the roots of atariage than say the wii or xb360..!

And for those that don't want to visit the apple forum, then just simply don't!

I guess you are right........... :ponder:

I wouldn't mind an Apple II forum, but where do you draw the line?

Tempest

No need to draw any line. Its all a matter of perspective. There is a definite interest. Let's get a sub-forum going and see how it goes. AtariAge is going to change over time - let's make it a good one.

And the Apple][ series is so much more like the vcs than the ps3 or wii or xb360. Far closer! In timeframe, in hardware, in programming style. Yes in programming style. The apple had *the* most basic of framebuffers. No custom hardware, no sprites, even primitive compared to the a800 for example. The 6502 had to do it all. And many tricks were played to get games to work like they did.

I wouldn't mind an Apple II forum, but where do you draw the line?

Tempest

Does there have to be a line drawn? As long as these are their own sections, why not? They'll either get used or they won't. Since this is AtariAge, everything Atari should naturally always take center stage, with everything else secondary. After all, this is, ironically, one of the best places to find out about the latest and greatest ColecoVision homebrews as well, right? I'm certainly not complaining. If this is what people want to use for that, then I have to make sure I pay attention on here, even if it is "Atari"Age.

Why not go the other way around instead. This is the programming forum right here. If you have Apple II programming stuff to go on about, go about it here first. If people find there ends up being regular or frequent posts involving the platform, then it would probably indicate there's justification for having a sub directory started for it. While it's in here, just tag the subjects with [AppleII] or something to make them stand out for those looking for it... just a suggestion of course, but it would beat just starting a subforum that would possibly get a few posts at first and then die off with the novelty.

This subject comes up from time to time. I'm not really adverse to making subforums for specific game consoles or computers, but I don't really want to do so unless I feel there's genuine interest. It would seem kind of odd to create an Apple II programming forum when there isn't even an Apple II forum here on AtariAge. Of course, there is already a ColecoVision programming forum and no general ColecoVision forum (perhaps I should rectify this).

It's easy to get carried away and create a multitude of targeted forums that see very little use. I could create a multitude of forums for various gaming systems under "Classic Gaming General" -- Vectrex, Odyssey 2, Intellivision, ColecoVision, and so forth. Likewise, I could create a "Classic Computing" forum (probably not a bad idea, really) and then create various subforums there (Apple II, TI 99/4a, Vic-20, Commodore 64, etc) and see how it goes. Any specific programming-related forums could be linked under these forums as well.

Just how many Apple II programmers are here?

..Al

This subject comes up from time to time. I'm not really adverse to making subforums for specific game consoles or computers, but I don't really want to do so unless I feel there's genuine interest. It would seem kind of odd to create an Apple II programming forum when there isn't even an Apple II forum here on AtariAge. Of course, there is already a ColecoVision programming forum and no general ColecoVision forum (perhaps I should rectify this).

It's easy to get carried away and create a multitude of targeted forums that see very little use. I could create a multitude of forums for various gaming systems under "Classic Gaming General" -- Vectrex, Odyssey 2, Intellivision, ColecoVision, and so forth. Likewise, I could create a "Classic Computing" forum (probably not a bad idea, really) and then create various subforums there (Apple II, TI 99/4a, Vic-20, Commodore 64, etc) and see how it goes. Any specific programming-related forums could be linked under these forums as well.

..Al

I don't know anything about Apple II programming, but a classic computing forum is a nice idea.

Edited by smartkitten26

..Al

I used to program in Applesoft Basic a little and learned 6502 assembly on the Apple II+/e.

I planned on doing a little for the IIgs but I'm just learning it.

Edited by JamesD