IGNORED

1050 write protect bypass switch?

mimo

I don't remember offhand how I did it, but back in the day I installed a write protect switch in my happy drive with one of those tri-colored LEDs.

Green = Fully Write Protected

Yellow = Disk Notch controlled WP

Red = No Write Protection

I still have the drive, if I have time I'll crack it open to refresh my memory.

It was very similar to the above, but used a DP3T (center off) switch using the other pole to control the color of the LED.

Edited by JR>

I still have a nifty little write protect device designed by John Foskett years ago. I've asked him (I think) to try and come up with his original schematics for it.

He built it into a little black box with a switch, two LEDs (Green and Red) and a screw which acted as a touch sensitive pad. It was based around an NE555 timer. His theory was that with the standard switches it was too easy to accidentally leave a drive in 'write mode' and therefore write over important data. So he came up with a switch that automatically reset to the 'write protect mode' after 10 minutes. The user could set it to 'write mode' by pressing on the touch pad.