IGNORED

Digital Press Guide: Your thoughts

cx2k

Just wanted to get some feedback on the new DP Guide...

Since I hadn't heard any comments about some of the new things we added, I wanted to see if anyone really cared about some of the new items we included.

I thought for sure people would be thrilled at the master part # listings for the Atari sections and the Magazine section as well.

Or has nobody gotten that far in the book yet? :)

What's your favorite part?

John

Just wanted to get some feedback on the new DP Guide...

Since I hadn't heard any comments about some of the new things we added, I wanted to see if anyone really cared about some of the new items we included.

I thought for sure people would be thrilled at the master part # listings for the Atari sections and the Magazine section as well.

Or has nobody gotten that far in the book yet? :)

What's your favorite part?

John

Well, I love the master part number lists if nobody else does. It let's you drool about the games that might have been, or might still be lurking out there somewhere. :) Of course, you get that in the proto lists too. :D

I give it a "thumbs up".

Mitch

http://atari7800.atari.org

• 2 weeks later...

DP Guide covers many many vintage systems. There are some flaws with it and I've told Joe several times over the years about some of the problems.

#1 is that there should be someone out there who knows all the Nintendo cartridge #'s. I gave Joe all I had, and will be sending him more after I review his list as to what I have. I would think though after the past couple of years he could have compiled a complete list of these.

#2 is that he won't list CBS label variations for Colecovision, but just dumped a whole bunch of other foreign ones on the list. This upsets me more since I've been giving him a list of games with the cart #'s so he can add them.

#3 is that on the computer systems, he does NOT have cartridges that do Financial things, mathematics, etc. If they aren't games, they aren't included, but he includes them with Atari and other systems. To me, if it's a cartridge, then add the sucker. :)

#4 is I was disappointed with the removal of the PC Engine section for the TG-16. Many games were never released in the US, and the first time he put these in the guide, it gave me a good idea on what was out there. Of course trying to read the Japanese instructions and such wasn't easy, but eventually I would figure out the few I own.

#5 is that there are a few screwy things listed in the protos section. I can't remember if it's just the 2600, or other systems as well, but he has $0 for almost everything, meaning I guess he couldn't track sales on them. Thing is, he has some rated at R10 for the hardest in rarity, but others as R0, which do exist, but he defines R0 as doesn't exist. There were definitely a few of these too, so you can't really credit it to typos.

But overall, I like the guide. Yes there are cool articles, some give extensive background on how the system came into the market, how it was received, what is good about it, what is bad about it, and much more. I've had my guide now for over 1 month, and have not completely gone through it.

Oh, one other problem. I just recently acquired Fatal Run. Joe lists this cart for both US released and Foreign released, but the caption under the title says released overseas. So my question is, is there really a NTSC version? Are both versions valued at $25.00? I'm sure something here is in error.

I'd also like to see an extensive label or explanation, possibly by Marco since he's most knowledgable about these things, on the foreign games. I'm getting so confused with Quelle and Star Soft and many others. Sometimes I have no idea which versions I have. If I have time, I may scan some labels. I know Albert said he wanted to make a foreign section here on the website.

Ok, enough said. I'm going to copy this exact post on the other thread that Digital Press started too.

Phil

I'm getting so confused with Quelle and Star Soft and many others. Sometimes I have no idea which versions I have.

Just a note here... There's no such thing as Star Soft. Most of the carts that have come up that were called "Star Soft" carts were probably sold by Quelle, which was not a manufacturer. The "S.S." imprinted carts are most likely made by Suntek Software, regardless of who branded & sold them (in other words, Quelle probably got their supply from Suntek). There was an "exposé" in 2600 Connection a while back.

I'm getting so confused with Quelle and Star Soft and many others. Sometimes I have no idea which versions I have.

Just a note here... There's no such thing as Star Soft. Most of the carts that have come up that were called "Star Soft" carts were probably sold by Quelle, which was not a manufacturer. The "S.S." imprinted carts are most likely made by Suntek Software, regardless of who branded & sold them (in other words, Quelle probably got their supply from Suntek). There was an "exposé" in 2600 Connection a while back.

There is a cool exposé on pirate 2600 games in the introduction to the 2600 section in DPG 7 too - worth reading! :cool:

Cheers,

Marco

• 2 weeks later...

This edition is the first I ever read.

I guess I expected more of a dry, uninteresting book comprised of pages of lists. But the DP guide is much more than that. Some of it is rather humorous (and if you're British, it's also humourous) and I found myself chuckling a few times.

VERY in depth, I feel I've barely scratched the surface. I guess I should eat more, causing me to go to the john more with my DP guide.