IGNORED

demons souls confirmed american release

xg4bx

It is like Oblivion except for one major thing. Its not open world. Rather, its kind of like Diablo where you are in a central hub or "town" and from there you enter different portals to different "worlds" or levels. In those levels you usually have to beat a final boss of some sort.

Its also features multiplayer and co-op (much easier when you and a friend play at the same time to take down monsters).

Its very hard so be warned. I hope they tone down for the American release but I have a feeling they will leave it alone. Prepare to die constantly more than any other game.

Funny but it can get strangely addictive.

the only tweaks that are being made (so far) is fixing typos and glitches.

yes, the game is hard. but its "old school" hard, not cheap, broken gameplay hard. i think it has this reputation because people raised on modern games are so used to the non-stop handholding. this game leaves you alone and requires that you use the block button, use caution and play smart. there are no checkpoints, if you get killed its back to the beginning of the "level". early on, you are required to "grind" for souls (currency) so you can upgrade your items and stats.

i think anybody who played truly hardcore games like wizardy when they were growing up, would feel right at home with this game. or if youve played the ds game dark spire, this is the more action oriented 3d equivalent.

the only tweaks that are being made (so far) is fixing typos and glitches.

yes, the game is hard. but its "old school" hard, not cheap, broken gameplay hard. i think it has this reputation because people raised on modern games are so used to the non-stop handholding. this game leaves you alone and requires that you use the block button, use caution and play smart. there are no checkpoints, if you get killed its back to the beginning of the "level". early on, you are required to "grind" for souls (currency) so you can upgrade your items and stats.

i think anybody who played truly hardcore games like wizardy when they were growing up, would feel right at home with this game. or if youve played the ds game dark spire, this is the more action oriented 3d equivalent.

You are 100% exactly correct.

Thats why I like it.

I died millions of times in Wizardry and the Bard's Tale. But you always make progress and feel like you achieved something. Rather than plowing through everything.

:P

My opinion... Demon's Souls isn't very much like Oblivion at all. Oblivion is story & quest driven, plus the experimentation of the making potion's-weapons-armor, many people to interact with and a huge land to explore and discover. DS is more like Diablo with little story, no real varied quests, action dominated, online, and only a castle/tower with their grounds to explore.

Only real similarity I see is that they are both sword and sorcery themed with the ability to raise stat's based on victories.

Just my opinion.

Mendon

Edited by Mendon

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

You will get a 150 page strategy guide and an artbook if you buy the special edition:

More video game swag!! Pre-order now and get the soundtrack!!

http://www.amazon.com/Demons-Deluxe-Artbook-Soundtrack-Playstation-3/dp/B002GJRQQY/ref=pd_sim_vg_3

Can't wait to finally get my hands on this and I'm glad I didn't spend $60-$70 on the import.

I'm going for the deluxe version!!

You will get a 150 page strategy guide and an artbook if you buy the special edition:

More video game swag!! Pre-order now and get the soundtrack!!

http://www.amazon.com/Demons-Deluxe-Artbook-Soundtrack-Playstation-3/dp/B002GJRQQY/ref=pd_sim_vg_3

Can't wait to finally get my hands on this and I'm glad I didn't spend $60-$70 on the import.

I'm going for the deluxe version!!

Dude be prepared to get the proverbial ass whoopin' in this game. Its definitely old school RPG'ing, monsters are NOT wimps.

Strangely though you just cant help by going back and feeling good when you get your revenge and clear out the level.

Remember this: Try a fighter\mage out first, I think they are called Nobles or maybe a Hunter. I tried a straight barbarian out first (they start with no armor) and died like a dozen times. I think having a long range attack helps a whole lot but the barbarian once leveled up can do some mass damage. They all balance out in there own way.

Remember this: Try a fighter\mage out first, I think they are called Nobles or maybe a Hunter. I tried a straight barbarian out first (they start with no armor) and died like a dozen times. I think having a long range attack helps a whole lot but the barbarian once leveled up can do some mass damage. They all balance out in there own way.

Am I remembering right, this game is full blown co-op? If so, how many players can co-op and does it make the game easier playing with others?

Am I remembering right, this game is full blown co-op? If so, how many players can co-op and does it make the game easier playing with others?

It sort of is full blown co-op. Its hard to explain but yes it makes it a whole lot easier if two people are helping each out etc.

Here's all the info about multiplayer:

http://atlus.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4021

I'll gladly join in and play if you or anyone else wants to play.

Edited by cimerians

Yer right... it is a brutal and unforgiving game.

I've played many a game in my day that dealt me death after death after death, but nothing deals player death like Demon's Souls. For me, the most frustrating part is that when (not if) I die, its all the way back to the beginning and I repeat my 30 minute (or more) journey all over again. Reminds me alot of Kid Icarus in that respect.

But for whatever reason, though I get frustrated at times beyond belief, there is something that pulls me back into the game to continue on my journey. Something about Demon's Souls grabs ahold of you and won't let go.

Mendon

Yer right... it is a brutal and unforgiving game.

I've played many a game in my day that dealt me death after death after death, but nothing deals player death like Demon's Souls. For me, the most frustrating part is that when (not if) I die, its all the way back to the beginning and I repeat my 30 minute (or more) journey all over again. Reminds me alot of Kid Icarus in that respect.

But for whatever reason, though I get frustrated at times beyond belief, there is something that pulls me back into the game to continue on my journey. Something about Demon's Souls grabs ahold of you and won't let go.

Mendon

Lol...theres a trick to that. When your about to die (you could tell), push down the PS button and quit the game. You will start at the same spot or little further back but the problem is you need to reload but it saves you time. Some people warn about corrupted data doing this but I've been doing it forever now and I havent had issues. Still its a good game but you definitely need to be patient. :evil:

Still its a good game but you definitely need to be patient. :evil:

Just curious, is there an end to this game?

I also pre-ordered the deluxe edition, but found I had a $10 credit (probably from a previous purchase) so the game only cost me $56.99. Now October can't come quick enough.

Just curious, is there an end to this game?

I also pre-ordered the deluxe edition, but found I had a $10 credit (probably from a previous purchase) so the game only cost me $56.99. Now October can't come quick enough.

Yes there is an ending

This is not really a spoiler. I explain what happens in the end but without talking about anything in the game, its up to you if you want to know.

You will eventually have to make a choice. Depending on which choice you make will determine what you get and what trophy you get in the end. You can always play the game through again (if I remember you keep your XP (souls)) and make a different choice so playing the game again is a nice option.

• 2 weeks later...

Man all everyone talks about is how frickin hard the game is!!! LOL

I have a feeling we may be teaming up in the near future cimerians! I wonder can you do the power off trick if you are playing co-op though?

When the game comes out and you want to do co-op, lemme know, and give me your PSN ID. I have a feeling having some extra help in this game might be kinda useful lol.