IGNORED

demons souls confirmed american release

xg4bx

Everyone keeps talking about how hard this game is, like that's a plus. I don't mind a challenge (Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Maximo, etc.), but I detest games that are hard just for the sake of being hard. Personally I think I'm going to wait a bit on this one.

Tempest

Moycon, Everyone: Yeah its hard and it would be easier to play co-op. I'm all for it when I have the time. :P

ID: cimerians

Tempest: Yup, some people will get really pissed off so its not for everyone. Its kind of like those old RPG's where you get killed and start from scratch (sort of) but you keep playing the damn thing cause you know your getting better.

Its not trying to be hard for the sake of being hard its just the mechanics the system itself that makes it hard. If that makes sense. So its frustrating but not in the way that you think.

Its not like Oblivion where your pretty much a walking god. In this game if you get hit badly or get surrounded your in big trouble. Its a tad bit more realistic. :D

Blocking, dodging and careful selection of the right weapon really is important.

Example: Dont even try and swing a big axe or a two handed Sword in a dungeon corridor....you will most likely bounce and scrape the weapon off the walls. A puncture weapon would be better or a short sword.

This game could be on to something here....if they can just tone it down a bit for all us wimps.

LOL

Edited by cimerians

This game could be on to something here....if they can just tone it down a bit for all us wimps.

LOL

Sounds great, but I do wish they had included a difficulty slider. (Listen to me, I haven't even played the game yet!!) You guys just got me scared I guess. Anyways I already pre-ordered the Deluxe edition (and got $10 off because of a past pre-order!!) so I'll have this in a couple weeks. My Sony tag is... moycon :cool: Looking forward to taking a beating together soon.

unboxing video-

Sweet! Thanks xg4bx!! Are you getting the Deluxe version as well?

yup lol. i already own the asian version of the game (honestly haven't played it very much) but im getting the american version a)for the strategy guide lol b) to support the publishers who are willing to bring quality original titles to our shores. i am so burnt out on shooters.

i am absolutely in love with the look of this game. the fantasy aesthetic is second to none. it kinda looks like forgotten realms mated with hp lovecraft.

its also a very emotional game. its hard to describe but youll know it when you play it. the game feels like sorrow, thats the only way i could describe it. its very lonely and quiet. theres not really any music but theres alot of ambient sound, crows overhead, the sound of battle in the distance, etc. you can literally FEEL the hell this land is going through.

it is a hard game. but it isnt a cheap game. my deaths were purely my own fault, not cheating a.i. instead of getting pissed i got encouraged because i just knew i could do better thenext time.

id easily put this alongside okami, ico and shadow of the colossus as an example of "games as art". its that damn good and that damn memorable. i sense that its going to eat up alot of peoples time. ive read quite a few examples where players have said theyve put 2 or 300 hours into it.

plus when you beat it theres game+ meaning you can replay it with your powered up character.

Yeah the Lovecraft "all hope is lost" feeling is always there. Creepy.

The game does punish you for making mistakes. Blocking with your shield instead of swinging etc. Or charging at a monster and missing......

I actually ordered the deluxe version as well. Having a strategy guide is what sold it to me. I think that will help a whole lot.

I'll put my Asian version away in storage.

Feel like I just lost 60 bucks but oh well as long as they keep releasing games of this quality then I support it. I just wont be hasty anymore with importing.

I'm almost strapped till christmas and there's so many cool games coming out for all systems. :(

I wonder can you do the power off trick if you are playing co-op though?

I have no idea, I havent tried it with co-op but I think it would work. I'm not sure it would be a good thing to do with co-op but for single player games it saves you time.

Its a major cop-out but I dont care, I did it a lot before I got the Cling Ring and saved me a ton of time. :P

(If you die you still play as a "ghost" but you only have half your health until you find the cling ring early on in the 1st level(world)

Dont miss it! The ring allows you to have full health when playing as a ghost so it helps a whole lot.)

• 2 weeks later...

it is a hard game. but it isnt a cheap game. my deaths were purely my own fault, not cheating a.i. instead of getting pissed i got encouraged because i just knew i could do better thenext time.

I've had a few "cheap deaths" or "unfair situations" in the game. Its been awhile since playing but I recall one situation where I running down a corridor and saw ONE enemy in a room in front of me. I went into guard mode and slowly approached him ready to do battle. As he and I engaged, I quickly fell in a heap of death as the THREE other enemies (who were lurking out of sight ABOVE the entrance to the room and couldn't be seen until you were actually in the room and near the visible enemy) dropped down and attacked me from behind.

I wasn't a happy person at all as I began my loooooong trek back to that room.

I admit that I didn't encounter a lot of cheap deaths in the game and many times my dying was entirely my fault. But the game doesn't play totally fair either as I did encounter several of what I consider unfair situations.

Mendon

LOL!!

your bloodstains will allow your successors to view a replay of your death, hinting at how to avoid your gruesome fate.

I'm getting scared again!

My copy still hasn't shipped! Says it's not scheduled to ship till the 13th!! WTF!!?

I'm getting the deluxe as well.

Man why wouldn't you!!? LOL

Now maybe you can find time to do a video review (After Aquanauts Holiday of course)

Hahaha, ok ok ok. I'll get on it, I swear haha.

Btw, I donno about Demon's Souls. I called Play N Trade and they sold my god damn pre-order. I'm trying to find a deluxe, but that's been fruitless so far. I swear, what's the point of a pre-order and taking my money if they aren't going to keep one on the side for me?

I just started a new game with a Priest and you actually start with a healing spell. :D

I was going through the initial trainer level thinking I was a bad ass until I got to a blue eyed skeleton demon and he killed me. I was trying to do the strong attack which is R2 I think. This is basically a roundhouse swing or a two handed chop which leaves you out in the open if you miss. If you hit you do tons of damage.

I tried it twice, missed and he killed me. I couldnt beleive I died on the trainer level but the game does punish you for mistakes. I knew I was taking a risk.

Now, I wanna go back and play again.

:D

My daughter was like why do you keep playing that game?

"I dont know!!"

:D

The graphics seem a whole lot better than the Asian version. Much more clear. Maybe its cause I havent played it in a while.......

Now maybe you can find time to do a video review (After Aquanauts Holiday of course)

Btw, I donno about Demon's Souls. I called Play N Trade and they sold my god damn pre-order. I'm trying to find a deluxe, but that's been fruitless so far. I swear, what's the point of a pre-order and taking my money if they aren't going to keep one on the side for me?

oh man that sucks so hard. i'm thinking its truly a limited edition because i know gstop stopped taking orders on it 2 weeks ago.

the funny thing about the guide is thats theres more about teaching you HOW to play the game moreso than actually playing it. i spent an hour going through the guide and i still don't completely understand it. it also explains alot of "one time only" events that i never knew about.

i've got my fingers crossed in hopes of a fruitful search for you.

oh man that sucks so hard. i'm thinking its truly a limited edition because i know gstop stopped taking orders on it 2 weeks ago.

the funny thing about the guide is thats theres more about teaching you HOW to play the game moreso than actually playing it. i spent an hour going through the guide and i still don't completely understand it. it also explains alot of "one time only" events that i never knew about.

i've got my fingers crossed in hopes of a fruitful search for you.

Thanks bud. I called them up, and I asked if there's anything they could do because they screwed up my pre-order. They're ordering me a deluxe edition straight from the dev Atlus themselves. Pretty nice. It'll be here by the end of the week apparently :D

My copy shipped today!! Kind of a bummer because I wanted to play it this week-end. Maybe it'll get here Saturday but I'm betting on Monday.

Can the priest heal others? If so a priest might be the perfect match in a co-op game, no?

My copy shipped today!! Kind of a bummer because I wanted to play it this week-end. Maybe it'll get here Saturday but I'm betting on Monday.

Can the priest heal others? If so a priest might be the perfect match in a co-op game, no?

I have no idea, I dont think so but I think there is a Resurrection spell to raise you up if you die.

I'll end up playing more this weekend. Hopefully clear out the first couple of bosses. (World 1 and 2)

I know, I hate getting games at the start of a week. :P

Like the man said, waiting for this game is like sitting on death row. LOL

I got mine in today!

I've been playing since 7pm.. it's now almost 2 am. The training level was easy (I heard people died on it a lot.. huh). Honestly, I thought the main game (level 1) was easy as well...until I realized just how freakin massive the level was. Then I started dieing. Over, and over, and over and over. Normally, in games, when I die this many times, I throw the controller down and say "well screw this". This is amazing. No matter how many times I die, I tell myself "dang.. well, just one more try". I like how you can pull the levers down to allow easy access of later parts of the level so you don't have to do the whole dang thing in one big swoop.

On level one, I have done everything except the very ending. Tomorrow, when I'm not tired to all hell and back, I'll try to kill the slug and his minions. I have to say, the short sword isn't my favorite, but I do love the axe. The short sword is kind necessary though with the boss.. so, ah well.

I know it sounds strange, but even though I die more times than I breathe every minute, the game doesn't feel overly hard. In fact, I think the difficulty, if easier, would have made the game too simple and boring. It makes you wonder what kind of pussies game reviewers have become when they think this is too difficult for a game to be. Sometimes I don't like being in the era of gaming where you're meant to beat the game even if you're a two year old.

A few questions. I know to kill the mini slugs, I hit them on the back, but once they're all gone, what's the best way to kill the main slug? Also, is there a way to keep your souls (like deposit them?) and is there a way to sell the goods you collect along the way? Lastly, how do I do multiplayer. I know that you can see other people and what not obviously, but I know there's a way to visit a friend and travel to their world to help them defeat an area. How do you do that?

Ok.. I lied, lastly (I promise!) would anyone like to team up sometime? PSN ID: ceramicsaturn

One of my, if not my favorite game this generation. And to think I almost canceled my pre-order because I thought it would be an annoying game. :D

Edited by DaytonaUSA

I like how you can pull the levers down to allow easy access of later parts of the level so you don't have to do the whole dang thing in one big swoop.

Nice!

Did you get the deluxe version? Curious what you think of it. Can you tell I'm anxious for my copy!??