IGNORED

ebay 2600 Not working

pox1169

Just bought an Atari 2600 on ebay and when I plugged it in it didn't work. I went out and bought a new TV adapter and a new AC power cord from Radio Shack, still not working. The one thing that I did notice was that there wasn't a switch for changing the channels. I took off the top and the RF (I think thats what it's called) chord was kind of loose. I may replace that as well but in the mean time the missing switch is kind of bugging me right now.

Would anyone have a picture of the inside of a 2600, the bottom says made in CA. If that makes any difference. :?

Just bought an Atari 2600 on ebay and when I plugged it in it didn't work.  I went out and bought a new TV adapter and a new AC power cord from Radio Shack, still not working.  The one thing that I did notice was that there wasn't a switch for changing the channels.  I took off the top and the RF (I think thats what it's called) chord was kind of loose.  I may replace that as well but in the mean time the missing switch is kind of bugging me right now.  

Would anyone have a picture of the inside of a 2600, the bottom says made in CA.  If that makes any difference.  :?

The TV switch is on the bottom of the console. Look for a long narrow silt and if you see it, shine a flashlight in it. if you can see the sqwitch, try that. Some really early model don't have a switch at all. The switch can go between 2 and 3 BTW.

Also make sure you use manual switch box. Pre NES era console can't use the auro RF at all as auto RF depends on the extra voltage supplied over the RF cord to power it (kind of the same was as 4 port 5200 does)

Also make sure you use manual switch box.  Pre NES era console can't use the auro RF at all as auto RF depends on the extra voltage supplied over the RF cord to power it (kind of the same was as 4 port 5200 does)

Or you can use a Coaxial (F-Type) to RCA adapter, which in my experience provides a cleaner picture than those older style TV/Game switchboxes. You can find these at Radio Shack, and we also have them online in our store. I use these all the time with RF-based systems (2600, 5200, 7800, Intellivision, ColecoVision, etc.)

..Al

Or you can use a Coaxial (F-Type) to RCA adapter, which in my experience provides a cleaner picture than those older style TV/Game switchboxes. You can find these at Radio Shack, and we also have them online in our store. I use these all the time with RF-based systems (2600, 5200, 7800, Intellivision, ColecoVision, etc.)

..Al

I tried that adapter to no avail, is there a tester that can be purchased that can test circuits inside? Eventhough the power supply is new I'm wondering it power is even getting to the system.

Sometimes the power jack gets worn out so you may have to wiggle the power plug on the back of the 2600. Leave the power switch in the ON position and turn the TV to channel 2 or 3 (whatever the 2600's set to) and the wiggle the plug. If you get intermit picture, the plug is to blame. If there's no picture, get a voltmeter and check the plug tip for 9v DC.

low voltage or no voltage, get a new adapter. good 9v DC (give or take a couple v's), your 2600 is probably bad somewhere.