IGNORED

Atari 7800 HSC reloaded Round 18 "Fatal Run"

darthkur

b_FatalRun_front.jpg

s_FatalRun_11.png

The year is 2089 and the world is a polluted radio active wasteland thanks to an unfortunate close encounter with a wayward comet. You are in possession of a newly developed radiation vaccine that can spare the few remaining survivors a horribly slow and painful death. The solution needs to be taken to a waiting rocket poised to be launched and set a satellite in orbit that will evenly distribute the radiation nullifying substance worldwide. Unfortunately there's a small army of unsavory characters that wish to rule this blasted earth and will take the serum from your charred carcass for themselves. Can you fight through their unrelenting onslaught and save humanity or will you be just another wasted road warrior smashed and battered in the gutter?

Emulators are fine as is whatever controller you feel the most comfortable with. Screenshots are great but not mandatory.

Settings: New Game. (default) (Only games started from the beginning count)

Contest ends on: 6-8-09 at 1:00am EST.

Final High Scores:

1st: xZanU - 263,325 +11

2nd: atomickneedrop - 252,350 +10

3rd: darthkur - 238,425 +9

4th: aftermac - 206,000 +8

5th: roadrunner - 195,275 +7

6th: Atarifever - 75,700 +6

7th: keitaro - 20,550 +5

Current Standings:

1st - famicommander (116) (3)

2nd - Darthkur (114)

3rd - keitaro (96) (1)

4th - xZanU (86) (3)

5th - roadrunner (78) (2)

6th - atomickneedrop (67) (1)

7th - gdement (66) (1)

8th - HammR25 (64) (1)

9th - aftermac (53) (1)

10th - AtariFever (41)

11th - suaiden (38) (1)

12th - Sauron (37) (2)

13th - doctorclu (34)

14th - Almost Rice (32)

15th - shadow460 (25)

16th - chuckwalla (22)

16th - Shannon (22)

17th - LarcenTyler (18)

17th - rockman_x_2002 (18) (1)

18th - LaserHawk (17)

19th - MrBeefy (14)

20th - Kurt_Woloch (11)

20th - ratfink (11) (1)

21st - Allan (10)

21st - theKLT (10)

22nd - Lord Thag (8)

22nd - thursday83 (8)

23rd - midnight magicman (7)

24th - Artlover (5)

24th - mightymage (5)

25th - AdeptRapier (4)

25th - bfutrel (4)

25th - Zoyx (4)

Numbers in RED are accumulated points. Numbers in BLUE are number of rounds won.

Link to the official manual: Fatal Run Manual

Edited by darthkur

Fatal Run is one of my favorite games. It does take awhile to finish, but it's worth it to watch the ending.

I made it to the end of the game. I didn't use no continues or cheat codes.

I was very lucky that i didn't hit 1 road block. Sometimes it's best when you see one coming up, drive off to the side of the road.

The further you get into the game the more damage the road blocks do to your car.

I wrote down some notes that might be helpful.

Tips-

Always buy a bunch of gun ammo and fuel at the end of every level.

When you upgrade to a 16 gallon fuel tank if you buy fuel first then the tank your fuel tank will be half full.

Buy the tank first, but during this game i didn't buy any fuel tanks.

It's cheaper to buy a new bumper or tires if they are badly damaged than it is to repair them.

I didn't buy a engine until the end of level 14. 8 cyclinder cost $1,200. That was the only engine i bought.

The only tires i bought were steel belt $275.

I bought 20 gage armor $350 at the end of level 15. and i bought 25 gage armor $350 at the end of level 24.

The only weapon i used was the machine guns. I just don't like using the dynamite. I think the machine guns last longer and are more effective.

I guess it goes without saying to avoid the road blocks. Some levels there is a road block shortly after the level begins.

I wrote down a couple of them - 10, 17, 20. Level 21 has 3 road blocks.

Your cash never goes higher than $9,999 no matter how good i'm doing at this game.

I always had at least 2 people who perished at the end of a level. Usually 2 but never more than 4.

I never have been able to reach the city in time to save everybody.

My personnal best is having just 1 person go up in a puff of smoke.

I hope all this helps you guys out. Have fun

Edited by roadrunner

I must now mention another Prosystem bug. Sorry. :(

The new controller emulation scheme, introduced starting in version 1.3d, doesn't work with this game. The buttons won't work so you can't start the game. Use ProSystem 1.3c instead.

Raz0red contacted me about it a few days ago and has since found a workaround, but it hasn't been "properly" resolved yet. This game does something odd when it sets up the controllers. I need to do some experimenting on real hardware, but haven't finished building my EPROM cart yet.

Unfortunately there's no perfect version - old versions are broken on some games and 1.3d/d2 are broken on some others. Technically speaking, 1.3d/d2 is definitely more accurate but something is wrong.

old versions are broken on some games and 1.3d/d2 are broken on some others. Technically speaking, 1.3d/d2 is definitely more accurate but something is wrong.

I think 1.3d2 thinks the pause button is held while starting up a game.

I must now mention another Prosystem bug. Sorry. :(

The new controller emulation scheme, introduced starting in version 1.3d, doesn't work with this game. The buttons won't work so you can't start the game. Use ProSystem 1.3c instead.

Raz0red contacted me about it a few days ago and has since found a workaround, but it hasn't been "properly" resolved yet. This game does something odd when it sets up the controllers. I need to do some experimenting on real hardware, but haven't finished building my EPROM cart yet.

Unfortunately there's no perfect version - old versions are broken on some games and 1.3d/d2 are broken on some others. Technically speaking, 1.3d/d2 is definitely more accurate but something is wrong.

Hmmmm... I can not get my game to start at all with ProSystem 1.3c. I just goes to a black screen.

post-21467-1243447902_thumb.png

Got the game working, just downloaded again and viola!

I really have no Idea what I am doing in this game other than driving and trying to blow stuff up. The machine gun seems pretty inaccurate, but useful. I liked using he smokescreen and oil slicks. I think I will go through and read the manual next to figure the game out. I love the little weapon/items shop, and I really have no clue as to how I am 'saving' people.

post-21467-1243461497_thumb.png

post-21467-1243461491_thumb.png

.THE END.

I never managed to save everyone in a city, though once I got the Turbo-Engine and Racing Tires I was able to rescue all but one pretty much every time. Smoke and Oil comes in real handy when there is a bump pack of cars behind. That diamond shield is great when you are using Nitro boost. Also, don't forget to arrow down to the car pictures at the shop on the bottom left and repair anything that is damaged. This took over 2 hours, so I hope the score stands up well as I can not do another run. It was a lot of fun though.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

EDIT :: The continue codes do not preserve your score or vehicle configuration so you need to leave the game running (paused) until you can finish.

BARRIER TIP :: You will notice that your little radar screen has blocks that show you what is coming up and who is behind you. Barriers will show up as approaching extremely quickly, this is because they are stationary. Vehicles are moving forward so will show as coming up more slowly. This has saved me a number of times, gives you a couple seconds notice. I can not tell if the barrier placement from level to level or position to position is random or not, my guess is that it is random, so keep your eyes peeled.

Edited by xZanU

Sorry I voted for this and haven't played much (especially because it's so terrible and I cast the tie break). Wife and I had a baby on Wednesday so I haven't been able to sink much time into... well anything really.

Sorry I voted for this and haven't played much (especially because it's so terrible and I cast the tie break). Wife and I had a baby on Wednesday so I haven't been able to sink much time into... well anything really.

It's not that bad. It drags on a bit long but it's still fun. There's far worse out there. No reason to feel bad about anything and obviously real life events, especially major ones like an addition to the family, take precedence by far.