IGNORED

The PLATO computer system

Have you ever heard of the "PLATO" computer system? It's an amazing platform developed in the 60s and refined in the 70s that was just lightyears ahead of its time--plasma touch-screens, full online multiplayer...Wow. Anyway, I decided to make a brief video highlighting some of the best games for the system. Take a look and let me know what you think about the system.

Note: I didn't get a chance to try PLATO until a few years ago as part of my research for my Dungeons & Desktop book. However, I was able to get an account on "cyber1" and kick the tires via emulation. They've done a great job making this available on the net, and it's easy enough to get an account if you want to try it, too. You really can't get more retro than this. :D

http://www.cyber1.org/

Matt... That was awesome, well done video! :D

I didn't really know much about the PLATO computer other than the name. Who knew there existed a computer in the 70s of that caliber... :o

Thanks a lot for posting! I think I'll also subscribe to your YouTube channel. :)

But... I was disappointed about one little thing... You made a mention that the PLATO 4 system was what you were going to be using, but you never showed what it looked like outside the old picture or any quirks concerning it... I wanted to see the PLATO in action... :(

Great stuff! The only thing I don't understand is how in the heck I've missed your show! I will be viewing all of your episodes and will make sure not to miss any in the future!

Thanks, Trooper and Koopa64! I'm glad you liked the videos.

I would have liked to show more of the hardware, but footage is hard to come by. :) I don't actually have a PLATO, though there are versions available for the TI-99/4A: http://www.armchairarcade.com/neo/node/1139

I was using the Cyber1 emulator.

Great stuff! The only thing I don't understand is how in the heck I've missed your show! I will be viewing all of your episodes and will make sure not to miss any in the future!

Thanks, Trooper and Koopa64! I'm glad you liked the videos.

I would have liked to show more of the hardware, but footage is hard to come by. :) I don't actually have a PLATO, though there are versions available for the TI-99/4A: http://www.armchairarcade.com/neo/node/1139

:sad:

You should track down a PLATO if it's entirely possible. If not to show off some of it's futuristic features. But alas, something like that is probably worth thousands of dollars in this day and age... :(

Still, it was interesting to see some of the games that were made for it. I guess it was truly a geek's computer. :D

You should track down a PLATO if it's entirely possible. If not to show off some of it's futuristic features. But alas, something like that is probably worth thousands of dollars in this day and age... :(

Still, it was interesting to see some of the games that were made for it. I guess it was truly a geek's computer. :D

I don't know if it's even possible. Even if I had the actual hardware, there's the question of whether the network itself is still online. I don't know for sure, but I doubt it. Then again, it might be possible to connect to the virtual network...

I agree, though, it's a very important area of history and something that warrants more attention. I'm probably not the best guy to give you the technical lowdown on the platform, but maybe...just maybe, videos like this will inspire an expert to take on the project. I nominate you! :P

I don't know if it's even possible. Even if I had the actual hardware, there's the question of whether the network itself is still online. I don't know for sure, but I doubt it. Then again, it might be possible to connect to the virtual network...

I agree, though, it's a very important area of history and something that warrants more attention. I'm probably not the best guy to give you the technical lowdown on the platform, but maybe...just maybe, videos like this will inspire an expert to take on the project. I nominate you! :P

People have been able to fashion online servers for dialup-only devices on some game consoles, so I think it would be possible.

But as for me finding a PLATO... I highly doubt it actually. I was kind of hoping you had connections with other people that could have made it possible to review the original hardware, since I have none as I am an average collector with average availability. I don't even actively collect old computer hardware (though an Apple][e has been in the corner of my eye recently).

Still, if you ever have the opportunity to review the PLATO computer hardware... DO IT.

Edited by Koopa64

Good job Matt. For anyone that's interested in reading more about Plato, I had done a 3 part article on Plato back in 2002 as part of my computer gaming series -

http://classicgaming.gamespy.com/View.php?...tail&id=245

http://classicgaming.gamespy.com/View.php?...tail&id=323

http://classicgaming.gamespy.com/View.php?...tail&id=324

To be fair though, the Micro plato and other spinoff versions were a far cry from the actual PLATO system. They ran a scaled down interface and version of TUTOR, and also didn't meet the original design paradigms of PLATO (and one of the grips some of the original architects had with the web) - almost instantaneous system response (which was a big deal in the time sharing days). Besides the unique touch screen plasma displays (which were actually introduced in the 60's, not the 70's), the big idea for all the special terminals being connected to the same PLATO system was quick content support for said displays and data. Every key press and screen press was immediately process directly by the central mainframe, with an echo time of 100 milliseconds. There's was also shared memory and direct control of the display screens (including the ability to abort display output). That's what lead to the uniqueness of the environment, networked games, and the online community that developed. It truly was an amazing system, way ahead of its time. To bad the last parts of the original system were shut down in the early 90's.

Edited by wgungfu

Holy cow, that's a lot of great info, Stargunner. I don't know how I managed to miss that before doing the video! D'oh!!!

At any rate, I know it's there now, so if I ever do anything PLATO-related you will be heavily referenced, sir. :)

I wasn't sure if the touch screen had been available in the 60s or 70s. Thanks for clarifying that point. It makes the PLATO seem even more ahead of its time!

Over here at the local community college they have something of a PLATO system set up. I'll see if I can get more info for you. I don't think they have the actual machines, but use some kind of emulation.

Love the videos, too! You covered Lost Vikings very well! I have it for Genesis. I am subscribed.

Holy cow, that's a lot of great info, Stargunner.

Stargunner is the posting level title I have, that Al has for everyone (you're a "Space Invader"). My name is Marty, as in Marty "Retro Rogue" Goldberg. ;)

We've talked before on Bill's armchair arcade site.

I don't know how I managed to miss that before doing the video! D'oh!!!

Not a big deal, just glad to be seeing someone take an interest in it and generating even more interest.

At any rate, I know it's there now, so if I ever do anything PLATO-related you will be heavily referenced, sir. :)

I wasn't sure if the touch screen had been available in the 60s or 70s. Thanks for clarifying that point. It makes the PLATO seem even more ahead of its time!

Yah, amazing that they invented the plasma display for this system. Luckily, they received proper recognition for it.