IGNORED

WUDSN IDE: The free integrated Atari 8-bit development plugin for Eclipse

Van, I've been there. Those are instructions. Instructions that say install Eclipse 1st, etc. etc. Not too long ago, I swear there was a single file zip or installer that had the entire environment covered (at least for A8), including Eclipse and with everything pre configured. Was I dreaming?

In the first paragraph of that page:

If you are using a Windows operating system, I recommend to download the ready to run zero installation distribution wudsn-ide-win64.zip (for 64-bit Windows) or wudsn-ide-win32.zip (for 32-bit Windows) . It contains the Eclipse Platform, the latest stable version of WUDSN IDE plugin, all supported compilers and an emulator for each supported platform.

For 64b Win http://www.wudsn.com/productions/java/ide/downloads/wudsn-ide-win64.zip

For 32b Win

http://www.wudsn.com/productions/java/ide/downloads/wudsn-ide-win32.zip

Yogi

Thanks so much JAC! :) This is great, the zero effort install is SOOOOO nice. Years ago had your IDE plugin setup but alas between upgrades to my system/ HD crashes had not re-installed it till just a little while ago. So many improvements and enhancements, ( last project was NES/ ASM6 last year, wish I had used WUDSN)

The only issue I had during the install. was Java related. The install from a few mounts ago quit working; turns out that I had allowed a 'auto update' request from Java that installed v 8.xx on my XP system (v8 doesn't support XP and removes older versions. WHAT?). Eclipse can not open with this combo, but after I tracked this down and reverted to Java v7 all is well.

Currently wanting to do some TRS-80 CoCo stuff and would like very much to try with this IDE. I think I understand the work-around for using another assembler, AS09 for 6809 in this case, but any advice is welcome till I have a more specific question.

Again THANK YOU for your efforts, so nice

Yogi

Java 8 works fine on XP. Ignore the warning box that pops up. All you need to do for Eclipse is include the java installation folder in the path. Mine is here: C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_60\bin.

To help others in the future, here's how to do it.

Press the Windows key and hit the break key to bring up System Properties.

Click the Advanced tab.

Click the Environment Variables button.

In the Lower Box, scroll (if necessary) to find Path.

Select it and hit Edit

Click in the Variable Value box, then use right arrow key to get to the end of the line.

Type a semi-colon ; and your path to Java, in my case, it was C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_60\bin.

Press the OK button 3 times.

Attached is a picture to make it super easy.

post-13040-0-97558400-1441318266_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Or WIN-R, CMD, then: path %PATH%;<javapath>

But that likely would not be persistent among log-ons.

Yea this is how I have different tools setup in NP++, thru the NPExec plugin.

Setting the path to Java in the EV is probably a good idea but I wouldn't want to have too many GCC based compilers in the EV. Have heard there can be problems.

Yogi

>No Problem :) They are sort of buried

Absolutely true. That has been on my "to fix" list for a long time since meanwhile most people use these downloads. Now there are more obvious indications where they should be.

post-17404-0-01343900-1441406408_thumb.png

Edited by JAC!

FYI, on Windows, if you don't have Java and you go to java.com, by default it downloads the 32-bit version. Which means, if you download the 64-bit version of WUDSN, when you try to start Eclipse, it just fails silently.

I ended up going to show all downloads (http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp) and download the 64-bit version.

Sure you can, but only one of them will become the default. So if you have also both Eclipse versions installed (32/64) you need to explicitly specify the JVM path in one of the "Eclipse.ini" files. So to keep things simple it is recommended to stick to one combination (32/32) or (64/64).

• 1 month later...

I ran into problems trying to get WUDSN working on Eclipse 4.5 MARS with Java 1.8 in Ubuntu 14.04. It installs, but then the Preferences pages are incomplete. There is no place to fill in the details on the assemblers. Should it work OK with this configuration, or do I need to use Eclipse 4.3 and Java 1.7?

Sure, based on the compatibility promises of Java & Eclipse it should work. I only have a test setup for the minimum supported version though. Is the "Assembler" section completely missing? If it is present, did you specify the path the to desired compiler (e.g. "MADS")? Without that the detail configuration for that compiler will not even show up. Please attach a screen shot and "<workspace>/.metadata/.log" if the problem persists.

Sure, based on the compatibility promises of Java & Eclipse it should work. I only have a test setup for the minimum supported version though. Is the "Assembler" section completely missing? If it is present, did you specify the path the to desired compiler (e.g. "MADS")? Without that the detail configuration for that compiler will not even show up. Please attach a screen shot and "<workspace>/.metadata/.log" if the problem persists.

Thank-you for the reply. I should also fess up that I'm running Ubuntu in VirtualBox if that matters. Looks to me like it's GUI problems. You can see in the screen shot the "Assembler" section is blank (in fact it auto-resizes to full screen height and has a vertical scroll bar with lots of blank space. Here's the .log file. I found the error "java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Location must be absolute: www.wudsn.com/update." Once I saw that, I decided to install from the version specific location. That got be a little farther - the next screen shot shows the Assembler section and the path to DASM. The gui form still doesn't look perfect. Under "2600" and the DASM tab, the gui form is incomplete.

1fb3ad9afdcb6d006cf30d3ac8b8f8fa.png2ede73e97d42af07351c9db016eef1b2.png

e1656d9887bbe22ba8042da9550eef70.png

@jeffpiep:

Here are some things to try (individually or in combinations) from the VB/Ubuntu side (if you haven't already):

• Ensure you have "Guest Additions" installed and running on your VM.
  • Toggle the "Enable 3D Acceleration" on the display tab of the VM's settings.
Edited by fujidude

@fujidude - thank-you, I hadn't tried it with 3D acceleration off. That worked, although the layout of the "assembler" dialogue is still a little wonky. It is functional.

@JAC! - I tried Eclipse 4.4 and it works just fine (with VBox 3D acceleration on and off).

Thanks for developing this plug-in. Very nice!

Edited by jeffpiep

"Location must be absolute: www.wudsn.com/update" appears because the silly input field for the update site URLs doesnt have a default protocol set. It has no effect on the installed software. You have to input "https://www.wudsn.com/update". Probably you implicitly added the "https://" when you put in the version specific URLs.

As for the problem with 4.5 I'll try and update my VM and see if I can isolate the issue, but that'll quite quite some time.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi! I am installing the WUDSN add on for the first time. I am trying to use ATasm to build the rainbow example. It's trying to use the MADS compiler but I want it to use ATasm. Here is a quick video of my setup. I know I did something wrong, I just need help seeing it. ;-)

Thanks!