IGNORED

WUDSN IDE: The free integrated Atari 8-bit development plugin for Eclipse

I'm hoping someone can help me with breakpoints. I installed Jac's zero installation and I set it up as in the videos. The default compiler is MADS and the default emulator is Altirra (version 2.7). All xex, lst, lab and atdbg files are set to "source" folder, not "temporary" and they are being created. I tried adding a breakpoint to the "Hello World" sample right at line 9 (sta $d40a) and when I select "compile and run," Altirra loads and runs the program but does not break into the debugger. The program just runs in its endless loop. When I go into the debugger, the disassemble window is empty and memory windows is set to $0000. If I hit break, then the disassemble windows shows the program with labels, but no source level window opens. Console window is empty. Also, if I keep hitting F8, Altirra only seems to stop at LOOP LDA VCOUNT. I don't see any breakpoint being set. What am I doing wrong? Is there something in Altirra I need to set?

I see all files are generated correctly by the IDE. But Altirra doesn't find/load the source and atdbg file. I see there's a space character in the file paths "..../WUDSN samples". This at least breaks the command calls I see on the console. Please rename the folder to "WUDSN" or "Samples" and try again. In fact I (implicitly) never created a file or folder with a space. If it fixes your problem, I should add a check for that. An alternative could be putting the corresponding parts in quotes in the preferences, but then it's just a question of time until the next tool runs into issues...

• Like 1

I see all files are generated correctly by the IDE. But Altirra doesn't find/load the source and atdbg file. I see there's a space character in the file paths "..../WUDSN samples". This at least breaks the command calls I see on the console. Please rename the folder to "WUDSN" or "Samples" and try again. In fact I (implicitly) never created a file or folder with a space. If it fixes your problem, I should add a check for that. An alternative could be putting the corresponding parts in quotes in the preferences, but then it's just a question of time until the next tool runs into issues...

Thanks, JAC! I removed the space in the path, and I think it works, though not exactly as in the videos tutorials. Here is a video. Is this working right? Also, the other samples have the same issues: space in the file name.

ScreenCapture_1-24-2016 11.58.49 AM.wmv

I rather think he's not able to open a WKV file in his environment, and therefore requests that.

>Here is a video. Is this working right?

In the first part it works right. But you should to set Altirria to go to Debugger by default when a breakpoint it. The 2nd example suffers from the spaces in the file name again. I'll adapt the download next time.

post-17404-0-67050500-1453713279_thumb.png

post-17404-0-58083600-1453713280_thumb.png

• 9 months later...

Because the Problems view needs a special configuration, does that mean I should make a separate eclipse workspace for WUDSN projects so I can separate the eclipse config from my Java projects?

Edit:

Additional bug report: Ctrl+Shift+9/0 don't work for Compile/Compile and Run. Clicking the toolbar button does work, however. The keyboard shortcut looks configured correctly in Eclipse preferences and doesn't show any conflicts. I'm using Windows Eclipse Neon.1

Edited by dukdukgoos

• 2 weeks later...

Because the Problems view needs a special configuration, does that mean I should make a separate eclipse workspace for WUDSN projects so I can separate the eclipse config from my Java projects?

Edit:

Additional bug report: Ctrl+Shift+9/0 don't work for Compile/Compile and Run. Clicking the toolbar button does work, however. The keyboard shortcut looks configured correctly in Eclipse preferences and doesn't show any conflicts. I'm using Windows Eclipse Neon.1

Sorry for the delayed reply, this post got lost in the SillyVenture preparations. I'm not sure what you want to configure for the problems view. I never configured anything there and use the same for Java & 6502 sometimes. But I think you can create additional problem views via the "View menu" of the "Problems" view in the same workspace and configure them differently.

Besides that I personally even prefer having a separate minimal Eclipse runtime install (ca. 70 MB) with only WUDSN IDE installed. It's not much space in todays standards and starts up much more quickly than a full J2EE installation. The zero-installation download on the site is exactly that.

Regarding Neon: I performed clean installs now with both eclipse-platform-4.6.1-win32-x86_64.zip (68MB minimal install), eclipse-jee-neon-1a-win32-x86_64.zip (300MB J2EE install) and installed the plugin via my update site. Both work just fine, including the standard key bindings CTRL+SHIFT+9/0.

There is a good chance that some other tool or even Windows itself has captured these key combinations. They which would also explain why Eclipse itself will not find a conflict.

There is a good chance that some other tool or even Windows itself has captured these key combinations. They which would also explain why Eclipse itself will not find a conflict.

That was it. It was actually the Microsoft IME I use for Japanese writing... the keyboard layout switcher was capturing Ctrl+Shift, so any Ctrl+Shift+something shortcuts wouldn't work. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

I'm not sure what you want to configure for the problems view. I never configured anything there and use the same for Java & 6502 sometimes. But I think you can create additional problem views via the "View menu" of the "Problems" view in the same workspace and configure them differently.

I was referring to the following points on the Installation instructions page:

http://www.wudsn.com/index.php/ide/installation

• Open the view "Problems" via the menu "Window/Show View/Problems" and then click the entry "Configure Contents..." from its view menu.
  • Select the configuration "All Errors", the radio button "On selected element and its children" and the check boxes ""Error", "Warning" and "Info".

I went ahead and set up a separate workspace for WUDSN. Seems like a good practice even if it's not strictly required. A completely separate Eclipse install is another good option as you pointed out.

Are we any closer to syntax highlighting for some of the unsupported MADS compiler directives (e.g. .ifndef)?

Sorry no. Basically everything that was added in MADS after 1.9.4 ist yet to be included.

This is only indirectly related to WUDSN, but hopefully it's okay to ask my probably dumb question here: when running the Atari 800 Hello World example included with WUDSN in Altirra it looks good when running in PAL mode, but has some "tearing" along the right side of the screen when running in NTSC.

NTSC render:

http://imgur.com/Rgyjp3Q

Why is this? Looking at the code it's hard to see why PAL would work as expected but NTSC would have this timing issue.

EDIT:

Whoops! I figured out it's not a PAL vs NTSC issue... it's the Extended Overscan setting in Altirra causing that graphical anomaly. Sorry for the wasted post! (there doesn't seem to be any way to delete your own post)

Edited by dukdukgoos

Sorry for the wasted post! (there doesn't seem to be any way to delete your own post)

Posts where the people actually figure out the solution themselves are no waste at all. If all posts were of that kind, the forums would be great :-)

Apart from that feel free to ask any question here or via PM.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

That was it. It was actually the Microsoft IME I use for Japanese writing... the keyboard layout switcher was capturing Ctrl+Shift, so any Ctrl+Shift+something shortcuts wouldn't work. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

After 2 weeks of fighting to get my site editing framework work again in my new notebook, I managed to fix all the broken links on the site and added this one to the FAQ finally. In fact I had exactly the same problem with the new Windows 10 PC :-)

http://www.wudsn.com/index.php/ide/faq#FAQCtrlShiftShortcuts

windows-text-services-and-input-language

• 6 months later...

Is it possible to implement ATMAS II on your WUDSN IDE ? If it is too much work then it is not needed. I have to learn programming in Assembler again because I didnt program since 1992 with Atmas II. So, I might aswell learn a new assembler alltogether when I want to start programming again in the 21st century. :)

Is it possible to implement ATMAS II on your WUDSN IDE ? If it is too much work then it is not needed. I have to learn programming in Assembler again because I didnt program since 1992 with Atmas II. So, I might aswell learn a new assembler alltogether when I want to start programming again in the 21st century. :)

I am not sure if that would be wise. ATMAS II is a native assembler, while WUDSN IDE is more suited for cross-platform development that involves the following:

1. Write code in a comfortable development environment (Eclipse)

2. Run one of the cross assemblers and create either binary load file or a disk image (MADS, XASM, ATASM...)

3. Test with emulator (Altirra, Atari800, Atari++)

WUDSN helps you with all the steps. But a native assembler doesn't fit very well in the process (because it would have to run in emulator and WUDSN would have to let it know what files to assemble or create a temporary disk image with all sources and.... a lot of complicated stuff here), unless there is a 1:1 port of ATMAS II to PC.

If you are re-starting from scratch and willing to program in assembler, I would recommend learning one of the cross-assemblers. It will not be that different from ATMAS II.

Mnemonics of the CPU instructions will be almost if not completely the same. You will just have to learn the assembler directives - macro creation, conditional assembly, etc.

My personal recommendation would be WUDSN + MADS.

And if the learning curve is too steep for you (don't know how much experience you have with PC/Mac development using heavyweight IDEs such as Eclipse or Visual Studio), you can try a plain text editor + MADS and then switch to WUDSN + MADS later.

Edited by baktra
  • Like 2

I didnt program since 1992 with Atmas II. So, I might aswell learn a new assembler alltogether

I also started with ATAMS II in 1992 and if you now use WUDSN and MADS you'll find that it's 99% identical. There are just a few differences in the syntax hat are different for basically every assembler.

• EPZ => EQU or =
  • DFB => .byte
  • DFW => .word
  • ASC => .byte "SCREEN CODE", 'ASCII CODE'
  • Low byte: LDA #<label
  • High byte: LDA #>label

Feel free to post or PM ATMAS II source and I can transcribe it.

• Like 3