IGNORED

WUDSN IDE: The free integrated Atari 8-bit development plugin for Eclipse

8 hours ago, flashjazzcat said:

What happened? I have some strange issues of late which are apparently not easy to reproduce.

Yes, same. I suspect java update somehow removed my older java runtime used by eclipse/WUDSN. Sorry, have no details about it, just frustrating not knowing what happened.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, DocSavage2001 said:

Pardon me if this has been asked before, but can this plug-in be used with IntelliJ or only Eclipse? If so, how would I install it.

Thanks,

Dave

Hello Dave,

no, WUDSN IDE is only for Eclipse. But you don't need the full Eclipse installation, only the core platform. The download on my site contains it as complete package which also includes all assemblers and emulators pre-configured. So you't really have to care about the platform underneath.

http://www.wudsn.com/index.php/ide/installation

Peter/JAC!

On 9/9/2020 at 5:21 PM, JAC! said:

Hello Dave,

no, WUDSN IDE is only for Eclipse. But you don't need the full Eclipse installation, only the core platform. The download on my site contains it as complete package which also includes all assemblers and emulators pre-configured. So you't really have to care about the platform underneath.

http://www.wudsn.com/index.php/ide/installation

Peter/JAC!

Thanks, Peter! Will do! I used Eclipse for many years before IntelliJ but was just wondering since that's what I'm using now. 

Dave

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, new WUDSN user here.

Taking me back in time as I haven't used eclipse for a number of years!

My question is, is there a way to allow compilation to use extended 65C02 instructions/modes, e.g. "BRA"?

When I use anything like this, it just says "Undeclared macro BRA".

I wondered if it's an assembler option, but seems to be erroring in parsing, so wondered if that's a config thing, or just not supported.

MADS (the default assembler) seems to indicate it understands extended instructions ("Of course, all 6502 opcodes are available, as well as: ... BRA ..." - http://mads.atari8.info/mads_eng.html)

Thanks for a superb environment for coding 6502 btw, it's a real joy to use. Coupled with altirra i'm getting example code running on a would be atari in seconds.

On 2/1/2020 at 1:51 PM, JAC! said:

Hello Roland. Current there are no preferences yet, only highlighting. Building can be done with regular batch scripts triggered from Eclipse. I'll send you a PM to sort this out.

Can you PM me too please Jac? I’ve just got the assembly side working but want to get pascal highlighting working and compiling too.

thanks

On 9/25/2020 at 9:55 PM, fenrock said:

Can you PM me too please Jac? I’ve just got the assembly side working but want to get pascal highlighting working and compiling too.

To activate the highlighting, the .pas file currently needs to be opened with the "Generic Text Editor". You can do that via the context menu.

PAS-Highlight.thumb.png.eee5894d625a694e7d6973a465cf7dd9.png

The batch file to compile and run looks like this. It simply calls MP.EXE to generate the ASM file and then MADS to generate the XEX.

@echo off
setlocal
set BASE_DIR=C:\jac\system\Atari800\Programming\Games\Example
set RELEASE=Example

set MP=%BASE_DIR%\mp
cd %BASE_DIR%

cd asm
%MP%\mads.exe Example-Kernel.asm -o:Example-Kernel.xex
if ERRORLEVEL 1 goto :mads_error
cd ..

%MP%\mp.exe -d pas\%RELEASE%.pas
if ERRORLEVEL 1 goto :mp_error

%MP%\mads.exe pas\%RELEASE%.a65 -x -i:%MP%\base -t:%RELEASE%.lab -l:%RELEASE%.lst -o:pas\%RELEASE%.xex
if ERRORLEVEL 1 goto :mads_error

copy /B asm\Example-Kernel.xex + /B pas\Example.xex files\AUTORUN.ar0
if ERRORLEVEL 1 goto :copy_error

if exist mads_output.txt del mads_output.txt
if exist mp_output.txt   del mp_output.txt

echo Copying background graphics.
copy gfx\background\test\01\*.* files
if ERRORLEVEL 1 goto :copy_error

echo Creating disk image.
set ATR=%RELEASE%.atr
atr\hias\dir2atr.exe -d -m -b MyDos4534 %ATR% files
if ERRORLEVEL 1 goto :dir2atr_error

C:\jac\system\Atari800\Tools\EMU\Altirra\Altirra64.exe /singleinstance /disk:%ATR% /debugcmd:".batch Example.atdbg"

echo Done.
goto :eof

:mp_error
echo ERROR: MP error occurred. See messages above.

:mads_error
echo ERROR: MADS errors occurred. See messages above.

:copy_error
echo ERROR: Copy errors occurred. See messages above.

:dir2atr_error
echo ERROR: DIR2ATR errors occurred. Check error messages above.
exit
On 9/22/2020 at 3:14 PM, fenrock said:

To answer my own question, I needed to add "opt c+" to the asm file, which then allows it to use BRA command.

To be precise, this activates 65816 mode. MADs does not have a separate setting for 65C02 (which is the minum CPU type which supports BRA).

You can activate the related sytax highlighting in the preferences.

CPU.thumb.png.d4590c453ac030c6580de6465e6c5497.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/12/2015 at 3:26 AM, hitbyambulance said:

Not sure how to fix this permissions error on OS X 10.8.5. to run the Stella emulator after assembling in WUDSN.

So, assembling the file in WUDSN works fine, but when attempting Assembler -> Compile and Run, i get the error:

Cannot execute application 'Stella' process '/Applications/Stella.app /Users/hitbyambulance/Documents/stella/output/hello.bin' in working directory '/Users/hitbyambulance/Documents/stella/output'. System error: Cannot run program "/Applications/Stella.app" (in directory "/Users/hitbyambulance/Documents/stella/output"): error=13, Permission denied

The path to Stella is set as '/Applications/Stella.app' and the output directory for the assembled file is '/Users/hitbyambulance/Documents/stella/output'.

Running

$ open -a /Applications/Stella.app /Users/badlands/Documents/stella/output/hello.bin
from the terminal (in the working directory) works as expected.

SOLVED: need to specify full path inside the .app directory:

/Applications/Stella.app/Contents/MacOS/Stella

What do you mean by "specify full path inside the .app directory?"  I am at a loss to understand where "inside the .app directory" is.

Thank you!

So i've been trying to research how to get this to solve the error above since I'm having the same issue with my MacOS.  I've looked at the first 4 installation videos for WUDSN, I looked through this forum string, I read several "Readme.txt" files and website installation notes, and i figured out that i am not smart enough to figure out a solution to this.  

I thought maybe the best course was to try and make MADS work with Mac, so it says download the Pascal compile version to compile it for Mac.  Okay, so download that version, download Xcode with Command line.  Tried that...no luck.  Maybe we need to try to default the ellipse to a different program.  So all the different 8-bit Atari programs have a .mac-i386 extension to the .exe file.  I know you can't run an .exe file without Windows and I've already previously tried to install Windows XP via Wine and Virtual Machine and that didn't go well either.  I tried vectoring the "Path to Compiler" to the .mac-i386 extension but i keep getting the above error. Which is what I expected because I believe the .mac extension isn't a program its just an add-on to the actual .exe program.

I would love to have the easy way to develop and run assembly code via eclipse for the Atari 5200 and Atari 2600, I've afraid I just don't have the skills to read between the lines on how to install and make this work.  I even tried to write a Atari 5200 beginners threat using 5200Basic by Jeffry Johnson in 2004 (

) , but got distracted with work and then converted from using Windows to Mac.  WUDSN and Eclipse looks awesome and my hat is off to those who developed, created, and got it working on a Mac.  It's either so simple I am missing the installation or it takes more than my skills and free time i have to make it work.    I would appreciate any step-by-step instructions anyone can provide to make this work, but i also understand there is a certain level of "you gotta do it yourself" inherent in homebrew programming.  

Thanx Everybody!

On 10/9/2020 at 12:07 AM, scuttle said:

So i've been trying to research how to get this to solve the error above since I'm having the same issue with my MacOS.  I've looked at the first 4 installation videos for WUDSN, I looked through this forum string, I read several "Readme.txt" files and website installation notes, and i figured out that i am not smart enough to figure out a solution to this.  

I thought maybe the best course was to try and make MADS work with Mac, so it says download the Pascal compile version to compile it for Mac.  Okay, so download that version, download Xcode with Command line.  Tried that...no luck.  Maybe we need to try to default the ellipse to a different program.  So all the different 8-bit Atari programs have a .mac-i386 extension to the .exe file.  I know you can't run an .exe file without Windows and I've already previously tried to install Windows XP via Wine and Virtual Machine and that didn't go well either.  I tried vectoring the "Path to Compiler" to the .mac-i386 extension but i keep getting the above error. Which is what I expected because I believe the .mac extension isn't a program its just an add-on to the actual .exe program.

I would love to have the easy way to develop and run assembly code via eclipse for the Atari 5200 and Atari 2600, I've afraid I just don't have the skills to read between the lines on how to install and make this work.  I even tried to write a Atari 5200 beginners threat using 5200Basic by Jeffry Johnson in 2004 (

) , but got distracted with work and then converted from using Windows to Mac.  WUDSN and Eclipse looks awesome and my hat is off to those who developed, created, and got it working on a Mac.  It's either so simple I am missing the installation or it takes more than my skills and free time i have to make it work.    I would appreciate any step-by-step instructions anyone can provide to make this work, but i also understand there is a certain level of "you gotta do it yourself" inherent in homebrew programming.  

Thanx Everybody!

Welcome! About 50% of the WUDSN users are Mac Users, so we'll surely sore that out. I'm not a Mac user myself, that is the difficult part ?

Native versions for the different platforms are available from my site. Please check http://www.wudsn.com/index.php/ide/installation#InstallingCompilers.

It contains PPC and Intel32 bit versions. Which Mac OS version are you running?

>I am at a loss to understand where "inside the .app directory" is.

In MacOS the "App" is actually not a file, but a folder. You can display the content (i.e. subfolders and files) via the "Show Contents" or similar menu option. There you will find the actual executable file.

- Peter.

On 10/6/2020 at 7:33 PM, scuttle said:

What do you mean by "specify full path inside the .app directory?"  I am at a loss to understand where "inside the .app directory" is.

Thank you!

post above this one explains. set the full path to /Applications/Stella.app/Contents/MacOS/Stella instead of /Applications/Stella.app

Edited by hitbyambulance

JAC!  I'm on Mac OS 10.15.5. I was looking at other boards when i saw that i386 extensions for Mac are normally 32-bit and I'm running a 64-bit machine.

Thank you hitbyambulance, I did finally get the full path.  You have to open the Applications in a folder and then click "Show Package Contents" (right click) to get to see beyond the app that is launched when you click the icon.  That one was not easy.

20 hours ago, scuttle said:

JAC!  I'm on Mac OS 10.15.5. I was looking at other boards when i saw that i386 extensions for Mac are normally 32-bit and I'm running a 64-bit machine.

Thank you hitbyambulance, I did finally get the full path.  You have to open the Applications in a folder and then click "Show Package Contents" (right click) to get to see beyond the app that is launched when you click the icon.  That one was not easy.

Thanks for the feedback. I've included the details in the description (daily build and web site). I hope this is clearer now:

https://www.wudsn.com/index.php/ide/installation#InstallingEmulators

WUDSN IDE update 1.7.1 released

The aim of this release was to gain long term stability and include pending fixes. It contains a lot of internal cleanups that you cannot see at the surface. The following visible changes are relevant for the users.

Java and Eclipse

• After 7 years of successfully maintaining compatibility with Java 1.6/1.7, all Eclipse versions and the 32-bit architectures an era ends. Support by fixes in Java and Eclipse is only available for Java 1.8 and Eclipse 4.10 and later and both do not support 32-bit development environments anymore. Understandable in a time where every mobile phone has an 8-core 64-bit architecture. Therefore WUDSN IDE 1.7.1 requires Java 1.8, Eclipse 2019-06 (4.12), and a 64-bit operating system as a minimum.
  • The 1.7.1 is intentionally a minor version update, so there are no major feature changes and people who cannot migrate to the new environment can, of course, download the older version from the Releases page.

Pascal:

• Source code editor added with the first version of syntax highlighting for Pascal Source Files (".pas")  that can be used with Mad Pascal.
  • Since building with MapPascal is a multi-step process, an example script file for compiling is included in the "Atari800/Pascal" folder of the zero installation download.

Hex Editor

• Support for parsing the structure of files in Interchange File Format ("IFF") added.

Sound Editor

•  POKEY emulation updated to ASAP 4.0.0 for compatibility and more accurate replay.

Fixes:

• Online help now works again thanks to the update to Java 1.8 and the newer Eclipse version.
  • Atari TrueType fonts by Mark Schmelzenbach updated to version 1.2, which fixes the look of the capital "J".
  • If the "Skip All Breakpoints" option is active, breakpoints are now correctly skipped.
  • Copyright, features, and GPL to updated to 2020.
  • All links to the WUDSN site updated from "http://" to https://"

MadPascal-Example.png

HexEditor-IFF.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, dukdukgoos said:

I was able to get WUDSN working with 2020-09 by upgrading Java to version 14 (I used the OpenJDK version). I believe it will work with Java 11 too, but 2020-09 definitely doesn't support Java 8 any more

I intentionally made this release compatible with JDK 8. The versions given in the https://www.wudsn.com/index.php/ide/releases are of course minimum versions required for the plugin itself. I assume you ment the minimum requirement for Eclipse and that can of course be higher for newer versions of Eclipse.

Request for Help:

It's 11 years now since I started with the plugin. Some major things have changed in Eclipse and I'd need some help in replacing the deprecated action/actionSets extension point. So if there is anybody reading this who has experience with PDE development in the recent Eclipse builds, please contact me.

12 minutes ago, JAC! said:

I intentionally made this release compatible with JDK 8. The versions given in the https://www.wudsn.com/index.php/ide/releases are of course minimum versions required for the plugin itself. I assume you ment the minimum requirement for Eclipse and that can of course be higher for newer versions of Eclipse.

Yes, I was just sharing that for people who want to use the latest version of Eclipse. 2020-06 will be the last version of Eclipse that supports Java 8. If you want to upgrade to 2020-09 or later you have to upgrade Java too.

So far I haven't seen any incompatibility with WUDSN 1.7.1/Eclipse 2020-09/Java 14, though I haven't extensively tested, just tried compiling/running a few things I have around. Is there anything specific you're concerned won't work?

• 4 weeks later...

I try for the first time using this and when i try compile i get this message always "operation compile is not possible because the file in the editor is not located in the worksapce" yes it says "worksapce" but should be "workspace" ? . I try loading the *.asm file from the workspace directory but i always get the same message. im trying to use atasm for now. Eclipse version

Version: 2020-09 (4.17.0)
Build id: 20200910-1200

For win x64

-------- Never Mind ----- i got it working

Edited by Grevle