IGNORED

WUDSN IDE: The free integrated Atari 8-bit development plugin for Eclipse

The daily build has been updated with the changes for these two issues:

https://github.com/peterdell/wudsn-ide/issues/10 - Key binding conflict with Ctrl+Shift+0 on Windows
Bindings have been changed to Ctrl-Shift-8/9 instead.
Also the wording has been adapted to "Language" and "Build" instead of the specific "Assembler/Assemble/Compiler/Compile" to have a uniform wording for all languages.
Maybe I'll later also move the entries to the other standard menus (File/Project/Run/Help) instead.

https://github.com/peterdell/wudsn-ide/issues/6 - Support dark theme
All icons have been converted from GIF with transparency to PNG with alpha-channel. The preferences keys for the syntax highlighting colors have been separated. This way the chosen colors are kept separately for light and dark theme. The title of the group box indicates, if dark theme is active. Default colors have been added also for the dark theme. Additionally, the tooltip of the color now shows the hexadecimal color value, so you can see the exact color code.

Click the links to see the detailed explanations. I've not updated the stable version, because these a huge change and I'd like to first get some feedback.

• Like 3

Hi,

Quick question - I have installed/setup Eclipse and WUDSN and am using them with MADS on an M1 MacBook Pro with Atari800Mac X - and all is good.

However I also want to edit/compile for 2600 and cannot figure out how to setup for support two platforms in Eclipse...

sTeVE

Edited by Jetboot Jack

26 minutes ago, Jetboot Jack said:

Hi,

Quick question - I have installed/setup Eclipse and WUDSN and am using them with MADS on an M1 MacBook Pro with Atari800Mac X - and all is good.

However I also want to edit/compile for 2600 and cannot figure out how to setup for support two platforms in Eclipse...

sTeVE

Possibly one of these 2 videos will help:

Thanks Steven. The above works if you use the standard assembler for the target platform. E.g. MADS for Atari 8-bit, DASM for Atari 2600.

https://www.wudsn.com/index.php/ide/features#Editor

If you want to use a "foreign" assmbler (e.g. I always use MADS for all platforms), then you have to specify the platform explicitly in the main source file via an annotation.

https://www.wudsn.com/index.php/ide/faq#FAQHardwareAnnotation

• Like 1

@JAC! I'm modifying EdVentures example code. It runs just fine but I'd like to do some debugging but when I put the breakpoint it, it either doesn't hit it OR it crashes Altirra. Funny thing is, if I hit pause and then F9, the program runs. No breakpoint, the program runs. Suggestions?
image.png.bbeef5f0181ed49b25372512c0de9a5d.png 

image.png.95a16ab2b1f7c3dbc8595dc7bddbaa60.png

image.png.983ee5458283c448ce5defe3a779d4dd.png

Altirra x64 v4.10

Eclipse Version: 2022-12 (4.26.0) Build id: 20221201-1913

Assembler: Mads Mad-Assembler-2.1.3

Wudns plugin: Latest. Just downloaded it.

10 hours ago, Justin Payne said:

@JAC! I'm modifying EdVentures example code. It runs just fine but I'd like to do some debugging but when I put the breakpoint it, it either doesn't hit it OR it crashes Altirra. Funny thing is, if I hit pause and then F9, the program runs. No breakpoint, the program runs. Suggestions?

Altirra x64 v4.10

Eclipse Version: 2022-12 (4.26.0) Build id: 20221201-1913

Assembler: Mads Mad-Assembler-2.1.3

Wudns plugin: Latest. Just downloaded it.

Thanks for the hint. Altirra by default assume a "casual" user who would not know what to do in a debugger, not a programmer and therefore displays this dialog.

You have to change the "Tools/Options/Error Handling" to "Break into Debugger".

I'll see how I can make that the default in future https://github.com/peterdell/wudsn-ide/issues/13.

image.thumb.png.d2c7b1fd0e8fd47dde830f1bf333b712.png

• Like 3

@JAC!- With new WUDSN I receive following warning when assembling Atari project for Altirra with MADS.

"Breakpoints will be ignored because the application 'Operating System Default Application' does not support passing source level breakpoints."

I installed the new Altirra 4.20 beta, do I need to switch something in the configuration?

With built-in Altirra 4.10 it did work, however for some reason this version had some issues for me and 4.20 has them fixed. Should I set something somewhere to allow breakpoints? How WUDSN is checking if the app is supporting source level breakpoints?

Edited by ilmenit

7 hours ago, ilmenit said:

@JAC!- With new WUDSN I receive following warning when assembling Atari project for Altirra with MADS.

"Breakpoints will be ignored because the application 'Operating System Default Application' does not support passing source level breakpoints."

I installed the new Altirra 4.20 beta, do I need to switch something in the configuration?

With built-in Altirra 4.10 it did work, however for some reason this version had some issues for me and 4.20 has them fixed. Should I set something somewhere to allow breakpoints? How WUDSN is checking if the app is supporting source level breakpoints?

You have to select Altirra explicitly as the default application (incl. the path to the .exe) in the preferences to use instead of "Operating System Default".
image.thumb.png.3c6830bbc2c3b76f32e3ba81f782e56e.png

Only then the IDE can be sure you are using Altirra, since some other emulator could be registered for ".xex".

• Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi! I'm trying to compile a cartridge image with WUDSN and MADS. I used to use the following parameter to compile with the proper file extension:

; @com.wudsn.ide.asm.outputfileextension=.rom

But witth the new version of WUDSN it doesn't compile with the ".rom" extension anymore. What can I do?

• 4 weeks later...

@JAC! I've been rebuilding my PC and tried to download the zero installation files from here https://www.wudsn.com/productions/java/ide/downloads/eclipse-platform-4.19-win32-x86_64.zip.

and from your web site here https://www.wudsn.com/productions/java/ide/downloads/wudsn-ide-win64.zip

on both I get:-

Has the download link changed ? or is there a server error? thanks

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator at to inform them of the time this error occurred, and the actions you performed just before this error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

On 4/28/2023 at 5:28 PM, TGB1718 said:

@JAC! I've been rebuilding my PC and tried to download the zero installation files from here https://www.wudsn.com/productions/java/ide/downloads/eclipse-platform-4.19-win32-x86_64.zip.

and from your web site here https://www.wudsn.com/productions/java/ide/downloads/wudsn-ide-win64.zip

on both I get:-

Has the download link changed ? or is there a server error? 

Yes, the folders were restructured and there is a new installer. See http://www.wudsn.com/index.php/ide/releases

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I noticed something today when doing some reconfiguring of my emulators: WUDSN doesn't seem to be able to find any emulators unless the full path is configured in the settings dialog, even if the emulator is part of the system PATH.

So for example, I changed the Stella config in preferences from:

C:\Programs\Emulators\Stella\Stella.exe

to

stella

I have my Stella folder added to the system PATH so I can access Stella directly in the command line with just "stella" but WUDSN won't see it unless it has the full path to the executable. It's weird because the compilers work fine if they're in the system PATH (EDIT: compilers don't work either), but the emulators don't.

Any ideas?

EDIT: compilers don't work with only the executable name either, so it appears WUDSN or Eclipse isn't using the system path when executing a command.

Edited by dukdukgoos
corrected information

15 hours ago, dukdukgoos said:

I noticed something today when doing some reconfiguring of my emulators: WUDSN doesn't seem to be able to find any emulators unless the full path is configured in the settings dialog, even if the emulator is part of the system PATH.

So for example, I changed the Stella config in preferences from:

C:\Programs\Emulators\Stella\Stella.exe

to

stella

I have my Stella folder added to the system PATH so I can access Stella directly in the command line with just "stella" but WUDSN won't see it unless it has the full path to the executable. It's weird because the compilers work fine if they're in the system PATH (EDIT: compilers don't work either), but the emulators don't.

Any ideas?

EDIT: compilers don't work with only the executable name either, so it appears WUDSN or Eclipse isn't using the system path when executing a command.

Correct, WUDSN uses the absolutes paths configured in the preferences because the system path is a shell property and cannot be used directly without opening a shell window.

But in the latest versions of WUDSN, the installer also includes the standard assemblers/compilers in a default folder structure for the IDE.

If no explicit paths are configured, they are found and used automatically.

For the emulators, you can also choose to use "Operating System Default Application" then, it'll use the default for the file extension as defined in the registry.
That also means less configuration but limits the parameters passing to the emulator to the executable file path.

Edited by JAC!
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

@JAC! Getting the following error when compiling anything. Fresh manual install with Eclipse 2023-12, Temurin Java 21.0.1+12, WUDSN 1.7.2.202401300233 from "daily" repo

java.lang.Error: Unresolved compilation problem:
    Invalid escape sequence (valid ones are  \b  \t  \n  \f  \r  \"  \'  \\ )

at com.wudsn.ide.lng.editor.LanguageEditorCompileCommand.splitAtSpaces(LanguageEditorCompileCommand.java:199)
    at com.wudsn.ide.lng.editor.LanguageEditorCompileCommand.executeInternal(LanguageEditorCompileCommand.java:303)
    at com.wudsn.ide.lng.editor.LanguageEditorCompileCommand.execute(LanguageEditorCompileCommand.java:165)
    at com.wudsn.ide.lng.editor.LanguageEditorCompileCommandHandler.execute(LanguageEditorCompileCommandHandler.java:55)
    at com.wudsn.ide.lng.editor.LanguageEditorFilesCommandHandler.execute(LanguageEditorFilesCommandHandler.java:64)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.handlers.HandlerProxy.execute(HandlerProxy.java:283)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.handlers.E4HandlerProxy.execute(E4HandlerProxy.java:99)
    at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DirectMethodHandleAccessor.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.MethodRequestor.execute(MethodRequestor.java:58)
    at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.InjectorImpl.invokeUsingClass(InjectorImpl.java:298)
    at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.InjectorImpl.invoke(InjectorImpl.java:232)
    at org.eclipse.e4.core.contexts.ContextInjectionFactory.invoke(ContextInjectionFactory.java:174)
    at org.eclipse.e4.core.commands.internal.HandlerServiceHandler.execute(HandlerServiceHandler.java:165)
    at org.eclipse.core.commands.Command.executeWithChecks(Command.java:488)
    at org.eclipse.core.commands.ParameterizedCommand.executeWithChecks(ParameterizedCommand.java:485)
    at org.eclipse.e4.core.commands.internal.HandlerServiceImpl.executeHandler(HandlerServiceImpl.java:213)
    at org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench.renderers.swt.HandledContributionItem.executeItem(HandledContributionItem.java:438)
    at org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench.renderers.swt.AbstractContributionItem.handleWidgetSelection(AbstractContributionItem.java:449)
    at org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench.renderers.swt.AbstractContributionItem.lambda$2(AbstractContributionItem.java:475)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:89)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.sendEvent(Display.java:4273)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1066)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:4071)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:3659)
    at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine$5.run(PartRenderingEngine.java:1155)
    at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:342)
    at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine.run(PartRenderingEngine.java:1046)
    at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.E4Workbench.createAndRunUI(E4Workbench.java:155)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.lambda$3(Workbench.java:648)
    at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:342)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:555)
    at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:173)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.application.IDEApplication.start(IDEApplication.java:152)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:208)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:136)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:104)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:402)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:255)
    at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DirectMethodHandleAccessor.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:651)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:588)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1459)