IGNORED

Panky the Panda - new WIP homebrew

Ben_Larson

PAY NO ATTENTION TO THAT PREVIOUS VERSION. ;)

Too late! So where can I apply for a refund? I'd like my attention back please.

P.S.

I love the new death animation.

edit: I made a map of the game. It's zipped so if people don't want to see it, they won't have to. This map exposes hidden places and areas affected by items. I don't know if there are more hidden areas, but all the ones needed to complete the game are shown. It does not tell you in what order you need to find the keys or items, so a little figuring out is left to the player. I also don't tell you which items you need to use to activate certain things. That's easy enough to figure out and I didn't want to completely ruin the experience. If you don't mind some spoilers, then download, unzip, and enjoy the map. If you want to find your own way around the game, then by all means DO NOT open this map.

Items shown on the map:

• Winged boots
  • Cleated boots
  • Whistle (or would that be a recorder or flute?)
  • Candle
  • Bible
  • All Keys

Panky the Panda map.zip

Edited by KevinMos3

PAY NO ATTENTION TO THAT PREVIOUS VERSION. ;)

Too late! So where can I apply for a refund? I'd like my attention back please.

P.S.

I love the new death animation.

edit: I made a map of the game. It's zipped so if people don't want to see it, they won't have to. This map exposes hidden places and areas affected by items. I don't know if there are more hidden areas, but all the ones needed to complete the game are shown. It does not tell you in what order you need to find the keys or items, so a little figuring out is left to the player. I also don't tell you which items you need to use to activate certain things. That's easy enough to figure out and I didn't want to completely ruin the experience. If you don't mind some spoilers, then download, unzip, and enjoy the map. If you want to find your own way around the game, then by all means DO NOT open this map.

Items shown on the map:

• Winged boots
  • Cleated boots
  • Whistle (or would that be a recorder or flute?)
  • Candle
  • Bible
  • All Keys

Woah, nice map. I think this might make you the second person to beat the game after me, assuming you did beat the game and didn't disassemble the code (which is probably be harder than just beating the game anyway :) )

Here's some info/hints I intend to put in the manual about the items, for those of you who don't want to ruin it completely by looking at the map.

And for those of you who are super-purists who don't want to know ANYTHING, I've hidden this text :)

There's 5 items in the game total that you will need to get, along with the 6 keys. The items are:

1. Jump boots: these help you jump higher (duh) and reach places you wouldn't be able to reach otherwise

2. Spike boots: these allow you to walk on ice without slipping

3. Candle: allows you to see in dark places

4. Holy book: It's said that the penitent Panda who possesses this ancient book... shall pass...

5. Flute: ?

Woah, nice map. I think this might make you the second person to beat the game after me, assuming you did beat the game and didn't disassemble the code (which is probably be harder than just beating the game anyway :) )

Thanks! Yeah, I played it through, but not on real hardware so I did have save-states for hard spots. I'm not skilled enough yet to disassemble. The map will need prettied up at some point. I was hesitant to post and glad you approve.

P.S.

We finally have a game for the Atari with the missing element that would have kept the company alive.

Edited by KevinMos3

Thanks! Yeah, I played it through, but not on real hardware so I did have save-states for hard spots. I'm not skilled enough yet to disassemble. The map will need prettied up at some point. I was hesitant to post and glad you approve.

I can't believe you posted a complete map for this game! :o

Just joking. :)

..Al

• 3 weeks later...

New beta version.

Changes since the last beta version:

* Fixed graphics bug when jumping off a ladder

* Fixed sound effect bug when in a room w/ more than 1 object

* Added new sound effects (getting an object or key, opening a door, activating save point, and getting hit by an enemy)

I'm thinking about adding a 'Game over - Continue/Quit' screen. Other than that I think I might be finished... *lnocks on wood*

Ben

Panky_the_Panda_1.0_Beta4.bin

Loving the music (who composed it?), but I think it's too hard even on normal level. I am one of the few that liked the "episode 1: quest of the severed penis" subtitle. Is this subtitle still included and will there be other sequels? Also, i don't know if you know this, but in the last binary file you posted, there is still infinite lives.

It's not really "infinite lives," but rather -- you keep your items. You still return to the start of the game when you lose all 3 lives. If it weren't for keeping the items, the game would be far too frustrating IMO. It's so insanely difficult in the first place.

As much as I like it (enough to put together an entire map), I can't tolerate playing it for long on real hardware without wanting to throw a controller. I pretty much only play in an emulator so I can use save states at the difficult spots. Maybe I'll eventually get good enough to beat it on a console.

I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of artwork will be made for this game. I just hope it doesn't display too much of a hint at the original subtitle. :) I've almost gotten that subtitle out of my mind, but it really tainted the game for me for quite a while.

@ Ben, the new sound effects are great. Adding a 'Game Over - Continue/Quit' screen would be a nice finishing touch.

This is a pretty amazing (and huge!) game. I still haven't gotten very far in it.

Question - will there be an option to randomize the location of some of the items? Just so it's not a "solve once and done" sort of game?

No. That's why I actually added the 3 difficulty levels, to at least give it some replayability.

I do have a little Java desktop app I wrote that I used to create the screens (it would have taken forever otherwise). At some point I do plan to release that in case someone wants to make a hack or create a map of their own...

It's not really "infinite lives," but rather -- you keep your items. You still return to the start of the game when you lose all 3 lives. If it weren't for keeping the items, the game would be far too frustrating IMO. It's so insanely difficult in the first place.

Yea - that's why I was going to add the 'continue' screen to make that a little clearer.

What's the hardest part do you think - the jumping itself, the enemies, or the not being able to find items and progress?

Ben

What's the hardest part do you think - the jumping itself, the enemies, or the not being able to find items and progress?

Just the jumping. The enemies aren't too hard to get around except in a couple of locations. The ones on route to the final screen are the most difficult which is fair since it IS the end of the game. There were a couple other locations where you get a key or an item that were difficult because of the way you have to be so precise in your timing, but I wouldn't consider it unfair.

The items are a great touch and the difficulty for figuring them out is just par for the course with adventure games. I've had much more trouble figuring out what to do with items in Zelda games. Finding what the whistle (er, flute) and holy book did were pretty fun.

The main point of difficulty for me is the jumping. For example, the beginning of the game when I go to get the winged boots. Getting to the hidden entrance can easily be death. It's so easy to bump your head on the ledge because you have to do it just right. Getting to the actual platform with the boots usually takes at least a couple of continues (if I have the patience to keep at it).

Edited by KevinMos3

I've been playing it on real hardware using a 7800 control pad (which probably helps). I've gotten farther this time than ever before (on a console) and was thinking I might go ahead and beat it, but I'm at a trouble spot now. I got through this on an emulator using a save-state to repeat it until I got it right, but since I'm playing on a console, I don't have that luxury and I've already died many many times at this spot. I don't think I'll play through to the end tonight because I'm about out of patience and need to go to bed soon.

Here's the spot I'm talking about:

post-9364-127959639391_thumb.png

I wish I could remember what I did to get past this before. Unfortunately, I don't even have the save-state for Stella anymore, so I can't practice on my PC and then go back to the console.

I've been playing it on real hardware using a 7800 control pad (which probably helps). I've gotten farther this time than ever before (on a console) and was thinking I might go ahead and beat it, but I'm at a trouble spot now. I got through this on an emulator using a save-state to repeat it until I got it right, but since I'm playing on a console, I don't have that luxury and I've already died many many times at this spot. I don't think I'll play through to the end tonight because I'm about out of patience and need to go to bed soon.

Interesting... ALL I've used for playtesting on the real hardware has been a control pad. So maybe I should test using an actual joystick. :)

Here's the spot I'm talking about:

post-9364-127959639391_thumb.png

I wish I could remember what I did to get past this before. Unfortunately, I don't even have the save-state for Stella anymore, so I can't practice on my PC and then go back to the console.

Well it's fairly straightforward:

Just make sure when you climb down the ladder you're sort of on the left part of the ladder. Wait for the bat to get out of the way and then fall off the ladder while pressing left. You should land on the platform.

Thanks for that tip. I must have done that last time, so why didn't I think of it this time? It's embarrassing how many lives I lost trying to make the drop last night.

Anyway, I just finished playing it through on a console. It wasn't too brutal. Either I'm getting better, or it's much easier with that 7800 gamepad... maybe a combination of both.

I'd like to see something put in a couple of areas that look like dead ends. I don't know what... maybe an extra life... or just something cool to look at, but doesn't actually serve a purpose, like a fake brother or a kidnapper that just stands there and does nothing. I think an extra life would be nice.

edit: [7-23-2010] I just played through tonight, (well techincally early morning), with a joystick. I think I've got the hang of the game now after beating it in Stella and real hardware with both a gamepad and a joystick. If you have time before CGE, I really hope you are able (or willing) to add in something to those dead ends.

Edited by KevinMos3

I think the controls are pretty good. Variable jump is awesome. Big mazes for the win. Music is damn good for the platform.. I just wish the notes played the longest didn't sound so harsh. I wonder if they could be at a lower volume or something.

The Panda sprite is nice. Animation good. The one color per line restriction is not very noticeable at all in this game. The developer has mucho artistic and logistical chops.

Personally I think falling off screen = death is lame. But, nevertheless, some amount of "challenge" is squeezed out of it. *groan*

Hope to see this game available for real someday :)

Yeah, this is looking better than a lot of platform games I played on the C64, and gives me hope that a Jumpman clone (even with different screens/bomb layouts) will be possible someday. I could certainly see myself buying a cartridge of this.

I just downloaded the latest .bin.... and this game is brilliant. The music is fantastic, and the game play is responsive and smooth. Incredible job! Kudos to the developer!

:) :thumbsup: :cool:

Edit: The game is great the way it is, but while I was playing, there were times when I wished I could duck to avoid the bats. It would also be nice if you got scored (maybe 10pts for the bat, etc.) every time you jumped over an animal. :cool:

Edited by STGuy1040

Yeah, this is looking better than a lot of platform games I played on the C64, and gives me hope that a Jumpman clone (even with different screens/bomb layouts) will be possible someday. I could certainly see myself buying a cartridge of this.

I agree with you completely.

I'm going to step outside my comfort zone and say I have never seen a game like this before on the Atari 2600. Even the music is pleasant, and hits the right tones. I find myself enjoying the music while I try to make some of the difficult jumps in the game. Everything feels so polished... I love it! :)

Even the music is pleasant, and hits the right tones.

Well I have to give credit where it is due and say that none of the music would have been possible without the frequency and waveform guide written by Eckhard Stolberg . The 2600 music guide by Paul Slocum was also very helpful

Basically what Eckhard did (and this was like 10 years ago now judging by the date in the file) was list all of the notes possible using each waveform on the Atari 2600, as well as how out of tune each note is relative to one another. Using this I was able to choose notes that were relatively in-tune and rule out ones that would sound terrible or weren't available at all.

Interesting side fact: I actually came up with the melodies on a guitar first, and then 'ported' them to the Atari ;) - in some cases I then had to change stuff around because the notes needed weren't available (or were badly out of tune).

The music rocks I must agree! I occasionally crank the beta up just to listen to the music. Er, that is until the long duration high notes wear down my patience.

All I'm saying is that, despite some harsh limitations graphically and musically, this is a great achievement so far :)

Edited by theloon