IGNORED

Need Help Repairing Colecovision System

mharnisch

I recently bought a Colecovision on eBay. It seems to work OK except for the video cable connection. Most of the time the picture is fuzzy until I move the video cable plug on the back of the console. Then the picture clears up, but gets fuzzy again when I let go of the plug. The video cable is brand new and works fine on another Colecovision I have, so I know it is not the cable. I have cleaned the inside and outside of the video jack on the console using very fine emery paper and then electrical contact cleaner, but there was no improvement. Thinking that it might be a loose connection, I took the unit apart, but can see no way to get to the video jack without desoldering some small circuit boards located just above it. Has anyone else experienced this problem and found a way to fix it (easy solution I hope)? I will appreciate any suggestions.

Check your power switch first if you haven't already, 9 times out of ten it's the cause of video issues.

You might want to try reflowing some of the solder joints on the RF daughter board, sometimes bad solder joints on the RF modulator can cause issues.

If reflowing doesn't work, the only way to get to the jack is by desoldering the RF box. Under the RF box cover there is a row of 8 pins that act as a connector between the RF daughter board and the mainboard that you'll need to desolder. The row of pins are between two small plastic tabs. Desolder those, then flip the mainboard over and desolder the points where the RF box is mounted to the board. It's kind of a pain but it's the only way you'll get to the jack.

Edited by kelrodjr

Check your power switch first if you haven't already, 9 times out of ten it's the cause of video issues.

You might want to try reflowing some of the solder joints on the RF daughter board, sometimes bad solder joints on the RF modulator can cause issues.

If reflowing doesn't work, the only way to get to the jack is by desoldering the RF box. Under the RF box cover there is a row of 8 pins that act as a connector between the RF daughter board and the mainboard that you'll need to desolder. The row of pins are between two small plastic tabs. Desolder those, then flip the mainboard over and desolder the points where the RF box is mounted to the board. It's kind of a pain but it's the only way you'll get to the jack.

I have checked the power switch and cleaned it as good as I could using electrical contact cleaner. It seems to work OK most of the time. The only thing that works to clear up the picture is when I wiggle the A/V plug. I was hoping that there would be a simpler solution other than desoldering and resoldering, as I have little experience with that. I would be afraid of messing something up. If that is the only option, do you have any suggestions for me on how to properly do this?

I had the same problem.I removed the top cover of the RF modulator box inside console,the silver box were the cable plugs into from tv,and reflowed the 4-6 solder joints inside which were cracked,I did this on 3 of my CV'S,which fixed the problem so they now work like new

I have checked the power switch and cleaned it as good as I could using electrical contact cleaner. It seems to work OK most of the time. The only thing that works to clear up the picture is when I wiggle the A/V plug. I was hoping that there would be a simpler solution other than desoldering and resoldering, as I have little experience with that. I would be afraid of messing something up. If that is the only option, do you have any suggestions for me on how to properly do this?

Well it seems that soldering may be your only option if you have cleaned everything well. My suggestion is to practice, practice, practice. Take a junk electronics board and practice removing solder joints with a desoldering wick or solder sucker and then resoldering them.

There are some good soldering tutorials on the internet for the beginner. Do a Google search for "how to solder".

Or, you could ship your CV to me and I'll do it... :D

Well it seems that soldering may be your only option if you have cleaned everything well. My suggestion is to practice, practice, practice. Take a junk electronics board and practice removing solder joints with a desoldering wick or solder sucker and then resoldering them.

There are some good soldering tutorials on the internet for the beginner. Do a Google search for "how to solder".

Or, you could ship your CV to me and I'll do it... :D

I see that you live in Toledo. Where at? I live in Perrysburg. I might take you up on your offer to fix it. I would just bring it by.

Yeah,it is so worth it to learn how to solder,especially if one collects old electronics,it's a must!,and all the money you save!Plus doing it yourself you know it was done right the 1st time.I used to hate the thought of soldering myself,but once you get the hang of it,you'll love it,its like learning to ride a bicycle.

Edited by Rik