IGNORED

Atari 7800 HSC reloaded Round 20 "MS. Pac-Man"

darthkur

1181242138312.jpg

s_MsPacMan_6.png

Here's a woman that needs no introduction. She's the first lady of video games, Ms. Pac-Man. Her task at hand is multiple mazes filled with yummy dots, various fruits and even a pretzle thrown in for good measure. The catacombs are not simply an open smorgasbord though. The four ghost-monsters Blinky, Inky, Pinky and Sue will not be giving Pac's better half any breaks. She's not worried, she's got power pills and her wits to show those colorful hoodlums a thing or two.

Emulators are fine as is whatever controller you feel the most comfortable with. Screenshots are great but not mandatory.

Settings: One player. First level (Cherry) (Default)

Contest ends on: 7-6-09 at 1:00am EST.

Final High Scores:

1st: Shannon - 72,590 (+11)

2nd: darthkur - 68,920 (+10)

3rd: famicommander - 67,010 (+9)

4th:keitaro - 65,990 (+8)

5th: chuckwalla - 58,300 (+7)

6th: shadow460 - 54,510 (+6)

7th: Kurt_Woloch - 50,930 (+5)

8th: thursday83 - 48,620 (+4)

9th: roadrunner - 44,090 (+3)

10th: xZanU - 42,870 (+2)

11th: Atarifever - 35,530 (+1)

12th: aftermac - 31,230 (+1)

13th: mimo - 16,560 (+1)

Current Standings:

1st - Darthkur (130)

2nd - famicommander (127) (4)

3rd - keitaro (111) (1)

4th - xZanU (106) (4)

5th - roadrunner (89) (2)

6th - atomickneedrop (83) (1)

7th - aftermac (69) (1)

8th - gdement (66) (1)

9th - HammR25 (64) (1)

10th - AtariFever (52)

11th - suaiden (38) (1)

12th - Sauron (37) (2)

13th - doctorclu (34)

14th - Almost Rice (32)

15th - shadow460 (25)

16th - chuckwalla (22)

16th - Shannon (22)

17th - LaserHawk (20)

18th - LarcenTyler (18)

18th - rockman_x_2002 (18) (1)

19th - MrBeefy (14)

20th - Kurt_Woloch (11)

20th - ratfink (11) (1)

21st - Allan (10)

21st - theKLT (10)

22nd - Lord Thag (8)

22nd - thursday83 (8)

23rd - midnight magicman (7)

24th - Artlover (5)

24th - mightymage (5)

25th - AdeptRapier (4)

25th - bfutrel (4)

25th - Zoyx (4)

Numbers in RED are accumulated points. Numbers in BLUE are number of rounds won.

Link to the official manual: MS. Pac-Man Manual

Edited by darthkur

So was the PMC version okay or should I emulate instead?

I did try both in emulation and the PNC one is a bit different so I'd say stick with the original via emulation just to keep everyone on the same page.

I have complete faith that you will score more than 26,510. As for me... not so much.

All I can say to that is... Maybe.. and, I hope so! : )

Even though I do like the pacman games, I have always found them a little difficult and have not been particularly good at them. Maybe it is the entire "boxed in" feeling. Not sure. I did have a friend growing up who had mastered pacman in the arcade. He had memorized the patterns of the game and could run from board to board without losing a life. He would literally just sit on that arcade machine for over an hour playing. It was fun to watch and he would onlly play it when he saw that they cleared the high scores or someone else had bested him. For me, I was lucky to last 10 minutes, even after watching and trying to mimic some of what my friend was doing.

post-21467-1246296595_thumb.png

This is the best I have ever done at this game ever. Lots of lucky misses on the Ghosts part, and I managed to grab some of the higher scoring fruits. After act 1, I rarely catch a ghost off the power pellet, and usually not more than 2. No idea how anyone gets 4 of them (or more than two on the later levels).

54. 510.

This is easily the worst port of Ms Pac Man that exists. The controls are unresponsive and the speed is far too slow.

I tried... to like it.

So was the PMC version okay or should I emulate instead?

I did try both in emulation and the PNC one is a bit different so I'd say stick with the original via emulation just to keep everyone on the same page.

Yeah, the version in PMC doesn't suck. Let's try that one sometime, shall we? :)

Edited by shadow460

How many lives are we supposed to have. The emmulator gives me five, and I don't know how to change it. I've been practicing with Bob's version, and the "oifficial"version (meaning the one we are using here) seems way easier.

Edited by Atarifever

How many lives are we supposed to have. The emmulator gives me five, and I don't know how to change it. I've been practicing with Bob's version, and the "oifficial"version (meaning the one we are using here) seems way easier.

Five seems to be the default. I also thought that the version on PMC was a bit more difficult hence why I thought it best for all to play the same version, giving no one an unfair advantage nor disadvantage.