IGNORED

AtariAge Member Subscriptions?

Albert

How much and how frequently would you be willing to pay for an AtariAge Membership (details of what might be offered are in the first post)?  

122 members have voted

1. 1. How much would you be willing to pay for an AtariAge membership?

• $5
    • $10
    • $25
    • $50
    • $100
    • I would not be interested.
  2. 2. How often would you be willing to pay?

• Once a month
    • Every six months
    • Once a year
    • One time only
    • I would not be interested.
  3. 3. Would you take advantage of a personalized AtariAge email address?

• Yes
    • No

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I know I'm super late on this, but upon my fall return to AA again recently, I was actually thinking about whether AA would/should implement a membership option. I was thinking of it, because honestly, AA is the best-run site I know of, and I mean that in every possible sense. I'm truly amazed that a site of this size/activity can be so tight. No easy feat, for sure. And I was wondering how much the store can realistically support all this. That said, I'll put in my vote above for $25/year with whatever bonuses are feasible (a store discount would be nice). Some other sites I know of are around $15-$20 a year, but AA is worth more. Thanks Al for all the work you do here.

Edited by Mirage1972
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am for different leveled subscriptions. Such as basic members can read and post text possibly, next level would be able to post pictures etc, however I'll pay for an autographed copy of a chicky calendar!! :D

I think that $50 per year is fair with maybe a special exclusive AA poster or magnet or even say a coupon for 50% off one game in the AA store.

Just some ideas!

I know I'm super late on this, but upon my fall return to AA again recently, I was actually thinking about whether AA would/should implement a membership option. I was thinking of it, because honestly, AA is the best-run site I know of, and I mean that in every possible sense. I'm truly amazed that a site of this size/activity can be so tight. No easy feat, for sure. And I was wondering how much the store can realistically support all this. That said, I'll put in my vote above for $25/year with whatever bonuses are feasible (a store discount would be nice). Some other sites I know of are around $15-$20 a year, but AA is worth more. Thanks Al for all the work you do here.

I agree 100% on this post! :thumbsup: :)

• Like 1

Hmm...

How about these items thrown in with whatever is in the ultimate membership:

Early access to new games, i.e., the first 100 of each are numbered and available only to paid subscribers

Ability to sell in the marketplace from post 1 instead of waiting until, say, post 50.

Coupons for homebrew games, either have a handful of $5 off coupons to boost sales of all homebrews, or a severely discounted holiday cart, or maybe a one time $30 discount on store purchases (this would be enough to get a free game).

Special editions of homebrew games might be released only to members, sorta like the numbered ones above.

Access to wallpapers and backgrounds for their PC and mobile devices. These could be AtariAge specific, or they might be fan art from existing games or concept art from new games.

Access to members only forums. I'm not sure what members only topics there are, however.

Maybe a tie in with AtariProtos, where paying AA members would be able to view new updates on that site sooner than non paying members, in exchange for a part of the proceeds going to help out at AtariProtos.

Additions or improvements to the database on the main site for paid subscribers. This might include more background info on the games, more screenshots, some videos, a complete list of reviews instead of one or two, etc.

Longer entries into the current status box. Heck, longer entries in the avatar box and longer signatures might work, too.

Cost? $100 per year, and if you wanted the coupons, $100 plus ten bucks less than what the coupons are worth. Or it could be made easy, pay $100 for the second highest membership and receive most of that, or pay $120 and get the last two items plus that holiday cart (or homebrew if no holiday cart is made) included in the package.

Oh, yeah, first 100 people or so to subscribe get entered into a raffle. If Al could get hold of an R10 or maybe something an R8 or R9 that's in mint condition (via donation, of course) the first 100 people would be entered into a drawing for that item. Or, perhaps the drawing could be for a grab bag of more common items that are donated.

Oh, almost forgot:

Monthly and semi annual options would be $10 a month or $60 semi annually but without the coupons or holiday cart. That means that if you're going to spend $120 a year on the site, spend it all at once to get some free stuff!

Edited by shadow460

I don't understand the "change user name" thing. So, someone could be one name one day, then suddenly they're some other name and you no longer know it's the same person? Also, it says early access to new homebrews, but will this at any point include any sort of store discount (for that or for anything else)? Thanks.

I don't understand the "change user name" thing. So, someone could be one name one day, then suddenly they're some other name and you no longer know it's the same person?

Yes, this would allow people to change their "Display Name" that is visible to everyone else. When looking at a user's profile you can view their "Display Name History", which will show you what their previous usernames. I disabled this functionality normally so it's not abused, but for subscriptions I have allowed two username changes a year. I doubt many people will use it, but it's a nice perk to have.

Also, it says early access to new homebrews, but will this at any point include any sort of store discount (for that or for anything else)? Thanks.

The discount may end up being "points" you can earn based on purchases, which you can then redeem on future purchases. I didn't want to add information on this until I'm sure what I'll be doing. There will probably also be freebies given with orders for subscribers. There's a fair bit that can be done in this area.

..Al

I don't understand the "change user name" thing. So, someone could be one name one day, then suddenly they're some other name and you no longer know it's the same person?

Ah, you have understood it! :thumbsup: :D (It´s the lomg advertised AtariAge Stealh Mode for troublemakers)

Ah, you have understood it! :thumbsup: :D (It´s the lomg advertised AtariAge Stealh Mode for troublemakers)

Not completely stealth, since anyone can look up your previous usernames.

..Al

Not completely stealth, since anyone can look up your previous usernames.

..Al

Killjoy Al is everywhere! :D

Yes, this would allow people to change their "Display Name" that is visible to everyone else. When looking at a user's profile you can view their "Display Name History", which will show you what their previous usernames. I disabled this functionality normally so it's not abused, but for subscriptions I have allowed two username changes a year. I doubt many people will use it, but it's a nice perk to have.

That sounds well thought-out. I'm sure I wouldn't mind dropping the "1972" from my name as I get older here! :)

The discount may end up being "points" you can earn based on purchases, which you can then redeem on future purchases. I didn't want to add information on this until I'm sure what I'll be doing. There will probably also be freebies given with orders for subscribers. There's a fair bit that can be done in this area.

..Al

Sounds good, makes sense, thanks much!

I'm in there -- am I maybe #1? Can't wait for the magic to begin!

Yep, you are the first. :) Guess I better get that graphic badge together tonight! You should see a red "+" next to your username in online user lists (such as on the main forum index). You should also be able to see the status of your subscription by clicking on the "Subscriptions" link at the top of the page, as well as in the drop-down menu that appears next to your name in the upper-right corner of the page.

..Al

What types of 'Subscriber-Only forums' are being planed?

There are three 'Subscriber-Only" forums at the moment. A general-chat type forum, one to discuss features/benefits for subscribers, and another one for suggestions for future benefits/features. I could see a few more forums, but I don't really want a large, hidden community where people start posting in all the other forums. ;)

Also, say you buy a 1 year subscription and do not wish to subscribe again the next year, what happens to all of your extra PMs (assuming you are over the normal 500 limit)?

Your mailbox would be full and you'd need to delete anything over 500 messages in order to get back under the limit before you could receive (and probably send) any further messages. It is possible I may reduce the current 500 message limit in the future, as the PM system eats up a huge amount of disk space between the actual messages and attachments. That 500 limit is typically far more than most forums allow you.

..Al

From what I can tell, everything appears to be working fine here. Henceforth, he shall be named: Mirage.

No "edit by line" test.

Great, thanks for trying everything out. :) The new Chat module should be online soon, although that won't be particularly useful until there are many subscribers, and for scheduled chats that I will likely open up for everyone. For instance, we can have live discussions with a panel of homebrew authors, or classic gaming celebrity chats, or even just a weekly "general" chat where (nearly) everything goes. And I'm going to install several new skins over the weekend, and these will only be available to subscribers (some skins are free, but most I need to pay for, such as the new iPhone/Android skin). The chat software will also be another incurred cost once officially released.

..Al