IGNORED

DASM Documentation

• 10 years later...
On 6/28/2009 at 5:17 PM, Richi_S said:

Yes, I've got it.

But, isn't there more?

I mean, back in the days, these programms had manuals about the weight of a brick.

this is crazy, i'm looking since days and days, and nope!! there is no exclusive tutorial about dasm, there is the great tutorial by Andrew Davie about atari 2600, but there is no "exclusive" "dasm tutorial" 

this is so sad, there are a lot of good ideas not being fully explored with lack of examples, i would love to help doing some dasm documentation but i'm not a c programmer!!

and i see... your post is from 2009, all this years with no new examples or tutorials about dams is craziness!!

3 hours ago, zilog_z80a said:

this is crazy, i'm looking since days and days, and nope!! there is no exclusive tutorial about dasm, there is the great tutorial by Andrew Davie about atari 2600, but there is no "exclusive" "dasm tutorial" 

this is so sad, there are a lot of good ideas not being fully explored with lack of examples, i would love to help doing some dasm documentation but i'm not a c programmer!!

and i see... your post is from 2009, all this years with no new examples or tutorials about dams is craziness!!

Since I was mentioned, I thought I'd poke my head up and say that I do read the posts that mention dasm.

If you followed my tutorials, they implicitly teach you about dasm. Because all you really need to know on the command-line is how to actually assemble a program. That's pretty straightforward, and covered in one of the earliest tutorials.

The rest is all about writing your assembly (not C) code, and that, too, is covered in the tutorials.

Stuff like labels, mnemonics, repeat loops, macros, org statements... these are all covered.

There's not a lot more to know other than mastering how to do things efficiently and that comes with practise.  Just about every bit of source code posted is a tutorial "about dasm". And there is, of course, the dasm manual which is available from the home page on github. If you really want to get into the intricacies that's a good place to start.

In short, it seems you're a little confused about what dasm is/does. I say that because of your comments saying you're not a c programmer,  and that there are no examples/tutorials "about dasm".

Having said that, ask your questions and I'll be happy to try and help you out.

Edited by Andrew Davie
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Andrew Davie said:

In short, it seems you're a little confused about what dasm is/does. I say that because of your comments saying you're not a c programmer,  and that there are no examples/tutorials "about dasm".

Hi Andrew, i mean a c programmer to add some examples in my spanish version of your tutorial at http://atari.rf.gd examples to some pseudo ops with no examples available(BEING ABLE TO READ DASM C SOURCE CODE).

i know dasm's documentation it's done by professionals, but there are too not advanced programmers that don't know how to interpret certain references to pseudo ops in that short document.

if you take a look in a search about this subject(into atari age forum) you will find several people asking for examples, and there we are, not always a document is enough for everybody.

e.g you are using pseudo ops and there is something you cannot understand, then you search and search with that opcodes at google... and there are no examples in the internet.

i love dasm and im really greatfull about it, but there is a lack of examples in some cases. then you are stuck like this user needing more examples

On 6/28/2009 at 5:17 PM, Richi_S said:

Yes, I've got it.

But, isn't there more?

I mean, back in the days, these programms had manuals about the weight of a brick.

so sometimes this is really harsh and you know, you can get out of answers and not wanting to write to the forum a zillion times.

i had an issue about macros, talking about macros arguments, then years after i have found Thomas in the dasm forum talking about that.

https://github.com/dasm-assembler/dasm/issues/15

and here recently(recently found this old post)

then i was trying to understand with this examples if it is possible to do some kind of array or table of macros

so i have found this post

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/51217465/dasm-directives-pseudops

and found this same user here asking for it(what i think it's near what i need, really dunno)

ok, that's all Andrew, thank you for answering and for your work.

i would love to be able to write some examples for dasm being able to read it's code in this cases where you feel that I NEED AN "EXAMPLES FOR DUMMIES."

cheers!!

pd: sometimes when i think about examples or documentation i remember dasm's preface from peter in 2008

and when you look all the documentation versions you will find that there is not a stack of examples or documentation added until this days since peter said that. ?

PREFACE FROM PETER (APRIL/2008)

Everything Andrew says above is still true, there have been a
    few sporadic updates to the documentation but no major ones,
    not even Olaf Seibert's changes from 1995 have been integrated,
    to say nothing of Thomas Mathys' F8 backend from 2004. We are
    urgently looking for volunteers to help with the documentation!
Edited by zilog_z80a

• 1 year later...
On 2/21/2020 at 3:56 PM, Andrew Davie said:

Since I was mentioned, I thought I'd poke my head up and say that I do read the posts that mention dasm.

If you followed my tutorials, they implicitly teach you about dasm. Because all you really need to know on the command-line is how to actually assemble a program. That's pretty straightforward, and covered in one of the earliest tutorials.

The rest is all about writing your assembly (not C) code, and that, too, is covered in the tutorials.

Stuff like labels, mnemonics, repeat loops, macros, org statements... these are all covered.

There's not a lot more to know other than mastering how to do things efficiently and that comes with practise.  Just about every bit of source code posted is a tutorial "about dasm". And there is, of course, the dasm manual which is available from the home page on github. If you really want to get into the intricacies that's a good place to start.

Having said that, ask your questions and I'll be happy to try and help you out.

We are now near 2022, and all i have said was in 2020.

@Andrew Davie  THANKS A LOOOOOT FOR ALL THE WORK YOU DID ABOUT DASM DOCUMENTATION.

Hope some day to translate that document to spanish with your name in it if you allow me to do it and make it part of atari.rf.gd,

THANKS AGAIN. THANK YOU!!

Edited by zilog_z80a
  • Like 1