IGNORED

Raiden

etschuetz

If this is a thread on here, sorry, just couldn't find it. Anyway, I am trying to find a port of Raiden for the Jaguar. I have it in emu for TG-16 and SNES, but would like to add this to my Jaguar collection to help round it out. I like this game. It is a really good and fun vertical scrolling shooter. I had a copy once, purchased from a used game outlet. Got home to play it, and it didn't work :( Returned it for another game. Anyway...I know the reviews say it looks just like the 16bit cousins, but I don't care. As long as the game play is intact, looks good, and plays well. Hell, even have problems finding it on eBay! Anyone that can give me some info about the game play and if it is worth it, I appreciate it.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksi...-All-Categories

Multiple copies on eBay right now, although most of those prices are rip-offs. With some patience you should be able to find it for cheap.

As far as the Jag version goes, it's a pretty good port. It looks pretty close to the arcade game and plays that way as well, although it's a bit easier. If all of my Jag stuff wasn't in storage in Texas at the moment, I'd send you one of the extra copies I have. Someone else here may have some extras as well.

It looks obviously better than the 16 bit versions... It's a great port, one of the best, right up there with the PS version and the Marty version. Infact I recently read an issue of GameFan where they reviewed Raiden for the Jag, and the reviewer proclaimed it was even better than the FM Towns Marty version...

• Like 1

It's got some great Amiga-esque (or C64ish) warbly music if you like that style. (nothing like the FM Towns Version though)

I'd say in terms of looks it's certaily got differences from the SNES, Genesis, and TG-16 versions, but I think there are advantages to each of the ports. (inless of course you really don't like SNES wavetable synth music in a game meant for FM) There are rumors that it was carried over from a Panther version in the works, though I'm not sure of this, I'd think it's more likely a port of the Amiga version. (particularly given the music)

In any case the Jag could have done better, while it's a great game and a good port, it could have been arcade perfect at least (like the FM Towns version), or possibly enhanced over the arcade. (more detailed 16-bit/65,536 color graphics)

Edited by kool kitty89

Sweet. Thanks folks. I am still hunting down a copy. I probably won't go through eBay for it, as I don't feel like getting ripped off at the moment, ya know what I mean?

I do understand what everyone meant by the audio. I have Raiden in emu for the Lynx, SNES, Genesis and TG-16, and of those, I have to admit, I like the TG-16 version a LOT more. The Lynx version was rather impressive as well. Granted, the Genesis version has the info on the right side 1/4 of the screen, and that is nice, but I like how the TG-16 looked and felt. THe sounds didn't seem to "canned" like the Genesis version, and I didn't like the SNES sound either.

One thing I noticed though, the Genesis version seems to have a bit more going on visually, such as the cows at the beginning. They are nowhere to be seen in the other 16bit releases I played. The SNES version should have looked a LOT better than it did, honestly, but It seemed to fall a bit short. I never played the PSX version, which I would love to.

If anyone has an extra copy, I would like to acquire it. Just PM me. Thanks.

One of the best games made for the Jag, also you can normally find it for $20 or less, does it look or sound 64 Bit, ohm No, but how many things on the Jag even look 32 Bit, It looks like a 16 Bit game w/ zero flicker and great color.

But the game plays great and is adictive as heck

I'll have to scan the review from GameFan where the reviewer states this is better than the FM Towns Marty version.

I've got an FM Towns sitting right here. The Jag version is plenty good, but certainly not better. :)

Here's that Raiden review where it's mentioned that it's better than the FM Towns version... ;)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevin_christe...487804/sizes/l/

I had something posted in Regards to Raiden on another platform, kinda sorta related, but maybe not really. Due to questionable actions I DON"T want taken upon me...I am just going to post this, since I can't seem to delete a post. Oh well...

So yeah, how about that game Raiden. It has truly sparked my intentions of going out and playing more Shmups...including my Dreamcast. So, uh, yeah. Have a nice day. :D

Edited by etschuetz

Jaguar Raiden is better than the TG-16 and SNES ports, but it still looks 16-bit in it's own right. The differences lie in taking advantages of the Jaguar's color palette, and the system's extra muscle provides slowdown-free gameplay. You'll find not only more on-screen objects in the Jaguar version compared to the others, but you don't have to deal with all that horrid slowdown that plagued the SNES version for example.

The status bar on the right side of the screen may at first be off putting, but keep in mind this was done to retain the aspect ratio of the arcade game. You'll find the exact same format in the Genesis port Raiden Trad (but rarely is this pointed out as a negative for the Genesis, as it is commonly for the Jaguar).

Other than the PS1 game Raiden Project, the Jaguar is the next best port of Raiden, and it's not even a close race. Anyone, and I mean ANYONE who tells you that the Tg-16 or SNES game's are better than the Jags version are lying and have most likely never played the Jag version. That's just Jag-hater banter most likely. If I ranked the games (since I've owned them all), it would be:

#1 Raiden Project

#2 Raiden (Jaguar)

#3 The rest

Edited by Gunstarhero

Here's that Raiden review where it's mentioned that it's better than the FM Towns version... ;)

Well what can I say, that umm curved monitor screen is lying to you. :P

lol ;) It's the digital version of the magazine. Early 1994 issue of GameFan, it's from.

Jaguar Raiden is better than the TG-16 and SNES ports, but it still looks 16-bit in it's own right. The differences lie in taking advantages of the Jaguar's color palette, and the system's extra muscle provides slowdown-free gameplay. You'll find not only more on-screen objects in the Jaguar version compared to the others, but you don't have to deal with all that horrid slowdown that plagued the SNES version for example.

The status bar on the right side of the screen may at first be off putting, but keep in mind this was done to retain the aspect ratio of the arcade game. You'll find the exact same format in the Genesis port Raiden Trad (but rarely is this pointed out as a negative for the Genesis, as it is commonly for the Jaguar).

Other than the PS1 game Raiden Project, the Jaguar is the next best port of Raiden, and it's not even a close race. Anyone, and I mean ANYONE who tells you that the Tg-16 or SNES game's are better than the Jags version are lying and have most likely never played the Jag version. That's just Jag-hater banter most likely. If I ranked the games (since I've owned them all), it would be:

#1 Raiden Project

#2 Raiden (Jaguar)

#3 The rest

Thanks for your input on this. :) Never played the FM Towns Marty version? I'd like to hear more opinions on Jag vs. Marty version of Raiden and which is better. Seems they are really close.

Edited by kevincal

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the vid kevincal. The differences between the two versions are almost not even worth talking about after watching that vid. There are some elements of the graphics that I prefer between both versions, and there are also some audio differences where I like certain things on both versions.

I think there is a little bit more on screen stuff in the backgrounds in the arcade version (PS1), but overall the graphics are pretty much spot on the same, especially with the enemies, those are exactly the same to my eyes.

As far as audio, I prefer very much the Jaguar's soundtrack. The only thing I prefer on the arcade audio, is the explosions sound effect, that's it.

Damn Windows Movie Maker butchers my vids whenever I try to edit them together. :'-(

Tried some of the other free video editing suites out there? VideoSpin? Muvy? VideoThang? Wax? I've never used any of them, but they're all apparently free and may be useful.

Anyway, I wouldn't mind seeing a split-screen comparison of the two...

Edited by minuS

Ya for some reason whenever I combine vids with perfectly good framerates in Windows Movie Maker, I always come up with a choppy framerate in the end! Sucks... Might have to look into others...

I thought about the split screen thing, would be neat but I'd have to figure out how to do it, meh.

Well from my eyes, the Jag version actually looks richer to me. Something about the PS version looks sorta washed out. They are considerably different though. I like them both. The PS sound is better I suppose but I prefer the Jag's music. One thing the PS version kills the Jag version in is the rapid fire. I know there are rapid fire Jag pads but they are rare and expensive.

Then the PS version has a kickass Intro as well...

• 2 weeks later...

The visuals were completely redrawn in the Jaguar version. The Playstation version looks washed out because it essentially *is* the arcade version. That was the great thing about it--Booming sounds and all. :)

I wouldn't personally say the Jag version is the best version--It's a bit sluggish compared to the arcade version, you can't mash shots like you can in the arcade, either. It is, however, still very enjoyable and is nice to go to because of its other changes and additions, which to say the least, make it the most-unique port of Raiden out there.

I'm not sure about the Amiga version (I haven't seen it), but the PC version was made by the same company (Imagitec) and uses the same sprites as the Jag version--for the most part. The music is also the same, new tunes and all, playing on the same stages as the Jag version (albeit the PC game has remixed, CD audio). It is a smoother play, but there are a lot of things missing compared to the Jag game, including virtually no sound effects. I would say it's sort of a half-assed port, but the CD soundtrack almost makes up for it, and it's still fun to play. ;) If you want to try it out I believe you can download it at Abandonia.com and run it through dosbox, albeit it will be a mostly-silent experience.

That reminds me. Something I noticed between the Jag and PS is that the Jag version actually moves along faster than the PS version. As far as how quickly the level scrolls / progresses. It is fairly noticeable when you play the 2 back to back.

Yes, it is especially noticeable on stage 2 when you are flying over the first set of bridges, where there are the loads of tanks and the train/turret enemies. :)

I just got this on eBay complete and mint for under $15 shipped, patience is a virtue :) Anyway, good game! The graphics and sound certainly don't take advantage of the Jag hardware at all. Granted there is no slowdown or flicker. Thankfully, the game play is excellent. I enjoy chasing down the red (or blue) weapon upgrades as well as the M (missile) or H (homing missile) to really watch the jag throw around the sprites. The only gripe I have with the game is the bosses, which I struggle with avoiding there attack patterns (way to many bullets), and the fact that all of the bullets are tiny yellow dots which are sometimes hard to see. Second, the fact that enemies occasionally come from the bottom of the screen, annoying. Neither of these is the Jag's fault. Overall, a solid Jag game.

• Like 1

I just got this on eBay complete and mint for under $15 shipped, patience is a virtue :) Anyway, good game! The graphics and sound certainly don't take advantage of the Jag hardware at all. Granted there is no slowdown or flicker. Thankfully, the game play is excellent. I enjoy chasing down the red (or blue) weapon upgrades as well as the M (missile) or H (homing missile) to really watch the jag throw around the sprites. The only gripe I have with the game is the bosses, which I struggle with avoiding there attack patterns (way to many bullets), and the fact that all of the bullets are tiny yellow dots which are sometimes hard to see. Second, the fact that enemies occasionally come from the bottom of the screen, annoying. Neither of these is the Jag's fault. Overall, a solid Jag game.

I need to find myself a copy of this game . . . it looks really good!!! It reminds me of game I use to play in the arcades about 15 years ago . . . honestly it could be the same game, its been so long and I was so young back then that I honestly don't have any recollection if this is the same game or not . . . :? :? :?

-Disjaukifa

• Like 1