IGNORED

Site Moved to New Server

Albert

It just this minute fixed itself :D. Just I was writing an email to them :lol:.

:P

Tho I would like to mention that emailing them won't really help much.

In theory, DNS's can propagate (for lack of a better term) instantly. The issue is caching, which is a standard part of most DNS servers to prevent excessive load since they don't want to be hit each and every time someone visits a site somewhere. So until their cache clears, they won't have the new information. So it all comes down to the TTL values that were set. Which can be any value between no caching at all upto 68 years. Typicaly tho, most DNS servers cache for 48 hours, so that's the average typical time it takes for changes to update everywhere.

All that said, questioning anyone about anything within their cache time will accomplish pretty much nothing besides a generic auto reply to just wait.

Typicaly tho, most DNS servers cache for 48 hours, so that's the average typical time it takes for changes to update everywhere.

This is not true any more--if it was, we would not be having this conversation since I only moved the site yesterday morning. Most DNS servers will honor the TTL values set for a domain. I set the the values for AtariAge.com to 300 seconds, which is five minutes. I did this several days in advance, to give all the DNS servers a chance to get the updated TTL values (they were 14400 seconds before that, which is four hours. Another common value is 86400, or 24 hours). When I actually pointed the domain to the new server, the change was nearly instantaneous for me and just about everyone else. I personally saw the change in less than a minute. Judging by how quickly everyone was logging in to the new server, this was the case for most people.

This morning I assigned a new IP address to the AtariAge.com domain, as I had forgotten to give AtariAge a unique IP, which is required when you're using an SSL certificate on a domain. I had already set the AtariAge.com domain on the new domain server to 300 seconds, so I knew this change would propagate quickly as well. In this case it took a few minutes before I saw the change, but still well within the five minute window. And again, it wasn't long before traffic returned to normal. Tomorrow I'll set the values back to 14400 seconds.

All that said, questioning anyone about anything within their cache time will accomplish pretty much nothing besides a generic auto reply to just wait.

This I agree with. :)

..Al

This is not true any more--if it was, we would not be having this conversation since I only moved the site yesterday morning. Most DNS servers will honor the TTL values set for a domain. I set the the values for AtariAge.com to 300 seconds, which is five minutes. I did this several days in advance, to give all the DNS servers a chance to get the updated TTL values

Well, you're smart and did things right. :)

Yes, most DNS servers honor TTL settings, but not everyone running sites understand this stuff and don't do anything with it. :|

everything including the kitchen sink Al

I want to see this voting system you've put inplace

That would be this link:

http://www.atariage.org/narn/forums/

There are some problems with that test site, though, in that some queries are very slow (such as "View New Content"). Also, that has not been skinned at all, so the appearance will change quite a bit. But it'll give you a feel for what the new forum software will look like with a recent backup of the current forum (including the Blogs and Gallery).

..Al

New site looks slick!

Soz...fell asleep

http://www.atariage.org/narn/forums/user/2879-chickybaby/

As mentioned...wouldn't accept my input/messege when the post tab/button was pressed

Perhpas i am banned for posting messages or something in the new place

Your comments are there, they just need to be approved first:

post-3-1246540097_thumb.png

Each user can choose whether comments in their profile appear automatically or need to be approved before the rest of the world can see them. The current forum is the same way.

..Al

Ahhh.well you only mentioned it after the event Al...So i wasn't to know, now that i do, i'll be a little more careful

What is the "AtariAge tab" and where do I see this?

Did you combine somehow with ChasetheChuckWagon.com? I noticed the little CtCW logo on the AtariAge tab.

I'm in internet explorer. I may not be using the proper terminology but when you have more than one window open you can see "tabs" for the other windows. Each tab has a little logo along with the name of the website. When I'm in the forums, the tab shows the Chuckwagon (exactly the same as the Chuckwagon page) and says AtariAge Forums.

Did you combine somehow with ChasetheChuckWagon.com? I noticed the little CtCW logo on the AtariAge tab.

Uhhrr, no?

..Al

OK although it's odd that the chuckwagon icon comes up with the AtariAge Forum on my computer (explorer w/ vista). I've never noticed that before. Maybe it's just my machine.

Note to not-so-self: 12:42am until now which is 1:05am EST.. everything I click on the website takes 10-21 seconds to load.

It was slow for a bit, but it didn't seem to be the server (I logged in to the server to make sure there were no problems). I think there were some network issues close to the server. Seems fine now, a few hours later.

..Al

I just noticed that all my 'last read' pointers have been reset to older values...

That's interesting. Not sure exactly how they are stored, but I think it's a combination between the database and cookies stored locally on your machine. Don't know why they would differ between the two sites and nobody else has reported it. It's possible that other people just didn't notice. ;)

..Al