IGNORED

Giant Label Variation PHOTO Website. Check it out!

Philflound

Since CBS is next, I decided to add the Coleco games that have CBS labels. I was going to skip doing this until the very end and come back to it, but since I'm adding other variations for titles that were originally CBS, if I was going to spend the time, I may as well do the others. This may take awhile. I figure a few days before I can get this complete. After I finish the CBS update, including the giant list update with the new games and new additions, I'll update the list for MS Word and PDF on the site so everything is current. If you have any title I've already done that I'm missing scans, now's the time to get it to me. That includes end labels.

Phil

Edited by Philflound

Phil,

Was the 1988 Centipede PAL or NTSC?

8)

Jonathan never got back to me.

Phil

Sorry 'bout that. It should be NTSC; IIRC it was an O'Shea's purchase.

How long ago did you purchase this from O'Shea? When I made my purchase from him back in the mid-1990s, he didn't have Centipede at all for sale. It took me until a couple of months ago to acquire a boxed Centipede for my own collection.

Phil

Phil,

Was the 1988 Centipede PAL or NTSC?

8)

Jonathan never got back to me.

Phil

Sorry 'bout that. It should be NTSC; IIRC it was an O'Shea's purchase.

How long ago did you purchase this from O'Shea? When I made my purchase from him back in the mid-1990s, he didn't have Centipede at all for sale. It took me until a couple of months ago to acquire a boxed Centipede for my own collection.

Phil

It would have been in the mid-90s as well; I bought the bulk of my Oshea's games when they were $.80 each. I could be wrong about getting it from there; I don't remember specifically finding it in the wild though and I just seem to think that it came from O'Shea.

Yeah, to think those games came out to 97 cents shipped, it was great. I remember purchasing over 500 games at the time. I've made a nice chunk of change from him, especially on titles he no longer has. And I probably still have 1/2 the inventory I purchased from him. Now he charges $5 + shipping.

Phil

Been working on CBS Electronics with all the Coleco variations. I should be done by tomorrow and hopefully have it up on the website. You'd be amazed at the awesome artwork on some of the boxes. Much better than the Coleco boxes showing the arcade machines. I don't have the majority of the end labels, so if you have the CBS carts, please scan end labels and email them to me. Also, I'm missing a good amount of box scans, so all you international collectors who have these games, please contact me. If you have manuals, please give me the description based on others I already have up there.

Phil

I was hoping to complete this, but it seems Atarimania is down for some reason. I have 3 titles to go. I decided to get working on the web pages with all the other titles I have, so if I can finish that, I will upload all of the titles I have complete under the CBS company and hope that Rom gets his site back up so I can finish the last 3 titles soon.

Phil

Ok, CBS is up and running on the site. I have to finish the last 6 games though. With Atarimania down yesterday, it set me back a day. Please note that it seems each game should have an international version, UK version with color text, UK version with white text, Australian version, German version, and French version. Also a possible Canadian version which has both English and French writing on it. It also seems that there should be at least 5 or 6 boxes per title. This does not include the normal US released games, which adds an additional variation. I'm missing many label variations for most of the titles, and many more boxes. If you have any of the games from CBS that I'm missing scans of either cart or box, please scan them and send them to me. That goes for both main and end labels and front and back of box.

Most boxes are easily distinguished by the definition under its appropriate title. I do mention the product number on the back of the box on one of the titles. Also, I mention how many languages, or type of language along with how many screenshots are on the back. I wanted to get into a little bit of detail in case someone is reading the variation list and not seeing any scans.

I mentioned some of the artwork is cool. I laugh at the Mr. Do! box that shows a guy trying to throw an apple at a dragon. Looks like it won't do much. The first box for this title has a nice cast of characters after Mr. Do. One looks like the Mad Hatter from Alice in Wonderland. Also, if you look in the background, it looks like the grim reaper is riding a tractor of some sort.

I'll be updating the MS Word and PDF files after I finish the CBS company completely.

On a separate note, I updated the beginning of the variation document to explain about PAL titles. For Atari, I had written that PAL is noted when there is a P on the label somewhere or a P sticker or stamp or PAL stamp is somewhere on the cart telling the person it is PAL. On 3rd party software, I mention that games may be in PAL format, but will only be noted in the listing if PAL is mentioned somewhere on the cartridge. All of the CBS games that were Coleco games are PAL, even if they don't say it. But I only put PAL under the listing if it's written on the label. Exception to this is the SECAM designation for the French versions, which state SECAM on the label. So note that there are games that are PAL, or may have both the same labels in NTSC and PAL format, but will have no distinction unless it's designated somewhere on the cartridge. I'm leaving it up to the collector to determine values for these games, as you know this at the beginning of the document.

Anyway, I'm moving along and will go on to Coleco probably this weekend. If you have any scans that I'm missing for any of the companies that are completed on the site so far, please send them to me. Thanks.

Phil

I was comparing my scans to the ones on your site, and noticed 1 or 2 that I have that are better condition labels. Are you interested in them?

Sure. I take what I can get until something better comes along.

Phil

OK, how do I get them to you? Plus I noticed a typo. You have "Cookie Monster Crunch", it should be "Munch".

Here are some. My Cosmic Commuter has more Actiplaque, but is trimmed better than yours, you can see the whole foot of the alien. I wouldn't call it different, just trimmed better.

Plus on the activision carts, it is odd how some are horrible with actiplaque and some aren't. Both my Skiing and your scan are perfect, but my Sky Jinks is horrible.

post-25375-126714428962_thumb.jpg

post-25375-126714441972_thumb.jpg

post-25375-126714454469_thumb.jpg

post-25375-126714459719_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

What does this mean?

Superman Cartridges

version a)* U 2nd txt no ©, CART1, ML: no “Program ©1979...” small ®, NOTE: has a glitch in the program, this error is rarer

My cart matches that picture, is there an error on the rom?

Yes, it has something to do with holding the fire button down while you turn the game on. If you move around the joystick without pulling down, you can fly off Superman without changing to Clark Kent and blowing up the bridge.

Phil

Ok, it took an extra day because of the snow and my back being sore. CBS is now complete to my ability and is up on the site. I also have the most current version of the giant list of variations document in both MS Word and PDF format on the site. Look for Coleco to come real soon. I'm also in the process of receiving more boxed games, so hopefully there will be some I don't have scans of. I'll update here any new scans.

Ok, it took an extra day because of the snow and my back being sore. CBS is now complete to my ability and is up on the site. I also have the most current version of the giant list of variations document in both MS Word and PDF format on the site. Look for Coleco to come real soon. I'm also in the process of receiving more boxed games, so hopefully there will be some I don't have scans of. I'll update here any new scans.

Did the ones I posted help? If so, I will continue to check and offer more if I find any that might be an improvement.

Did the ones I posted help? If so, I will continue to check and offer more if I find any that might be an improvement.

The only one I looked at so far was the Fast Eddie. That is variation b and the copy I have up on the site has nothing really wrong with it. If your copy had been variation a, then it would have been a decent replacement. My suggestion for improving variations would be ones that really look bad. Usually with writing or tears, or like you mentioned, maybe major actiplaque. I'd be more interested in acquiring end labels for games I only have main labels for, or filling in the variations I don't have scans of. Also, definitely if you have something that is not on the list whatsoever. So don't go out of your way if it's just a minor improvement. I will look at the other 3 pictures you gave me and if I think they're worth upgrading I will. I appreciate any help. I just don't want you to waste too much time. My biggest concern is getting the rest of the 3rd party companies up there for everyone to see. Then I'll go back and try to upgrade things or add others that I have to research on my own. Thanks for the Cookie Monster correction. I don't know how that got by me, but more importantly, it's been up on the site for over a year without anyone else seeing it.

I wish I could get this done already so I can start doing the Intellivision. That is going to be a huge undertaking since I'll be making the list from scratch. I can see that taking a year to do.

Phil

[quote name='Philflound' date='Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:35 PM' timestamp='1267230946' I wish I could get this done already so I can start doing the Intellivision. That is going to be a huge undertaking since I'll be making the list from scratch. I can see that taking a year to do.

Phil

OK, I'll keep comparing what I have. I thank you for your site, especially since I now have a whole new level of knowledge of the differences, and I found I have 2 labels with errors! One had the wrong controller, and the other was some other typo. (You had both already) I really don't have anything that rare except for my supercharger tapes.

I'm glad you're finding the site useful for your purposes. It's been mentioned before that most variations will not really command any additional money. It's more for those who are seeking different versions of the same cartridge, or those looking for specific variations. By having a photo site, you will know exactly what you are looking for. So if you're out trying to buy games and run across a box, you can look on your cell phone if you can connect to the internet and see if you've run across something different.

Most later releases 1985-1988 Atari labels will sell a little bit higher than the original releases. There are some exceptions that are bulk quantity sealed from a warehouse, but most of these years are not in high quantity. Many red labels of original silver labeled games are also sought after. Collectors have shared their pictures where some of them put the box colors in order, which looks really cool on the shelf.

However you collect is up to you and you should enjoy your collection for what it is. I don't go for every variation. I don't have the money or the room. I try and keep rarer or unique variations as extra copies. Things that always intrigue me are the Activision blue labels and color screen versions. I also have copies of the Raiders Lost Ark and Pole Positn labels, along with the large Galaxian orange end label. I've been working on acquiring boxes for some time now, and have built quite a box collection over the past 12 years or so. Before that, I made the mistake of actually selling off some of my boxes, the 32 in 1 I've not been able to replace. :(

Phil

Edited by Philflound

I'm glad you're finding the site useful for your purposes. It's been mentioned before that most variations will not really command any additional money. It's more for those who are seeking different versions of the same cartridge, or those looking for specific variations.

The funny thing was I have had the game for 15 years, and never noticed the typo! And I just went through them yesterday, and I forget which 2 I found already...

We need a list of carts that have typos/wrong info on them...

• 2 weeks later...

I got the bug. No, not the flu, the compulsive bug. I got really intrigued by the Intellivision for the past few days and decided I was going to start the variation list. I found there to be a nice site listing tons of variations for all aspects of the Intellivision. I go a bit deeper though, being the anal person that I am. I'm not ignoring Atari. In fact, I may bounce back and forth between them. I started listing the Coleco variations, but didn't do any of the titles yet.

I went to the Intellivision because it's something new and exciting. Since the Atari list is pretty much complete minus a few additions I have to do, just putting up photos gets tedious. I'm having more fun scrutinizing over the carts, manuals, overlays, and boxes for the Intellivision, and having fun scanning things.

When I put up the first pages of the Intellivision, you'll notice I changed the background from a light blue to a light green. Just to give the site a bit of difference. I'm also going to make the title page with a grey background. I think for each system, I'll change the background color to have a little fun.

I'm bouncing around. I definitely have problems staying focused. So I'll be working on the Atari section, the Intellivision section, I'm writing a book about buying and selling collectibles, I'm about to publish a music cd that were songs I wrote 8-10 years ago and kept saying I was going to put them on the internet, and I've been putting stuff up for sale on both comiccollectorlive.com and Ebay. In addition to all this, I'm still trying to find a teaching job, and of course have to dedicate some time to my wife.

I'm turning 40 in just 2 months. I'd say I would probably burn myself out, but my energy level is extremely high.

Anyway, within a couple of days, you can see the start of the Intellivision section on the site. I'm definitely going to need help with this one, since I'm missing the majority of the rare games and the site I'm using for reference doesn't have scans of the back of the boxes. I also don't particulary like most of his label scans. I'm doing an end label scan like I do with Atari. Most of the carts don't have main labels, so I'll be having only one scan. The scans are actually a bit bigger than the Atari ones. If you know anything about the M Network mold variations for the 2600, which there are 9 of, you won't be surprised to know that the Mattel Intellivision games have many mold variations too, guessing somewhere between 8-10 different types. I need to go through several titles before I can get a good grasp of exactly what mold variations there are.

Ok, I'm done for the night.

Phil

Edited by Philflound

I threw up the Intellivision section, just to see what it would look like. It's in its baby stage, so have ALOT of patience with this one. I didn't put up the Word/PDF file yet. I had worked on 5 titles, and would like to complete at least up to B-17 Bomber before going live with a list. All titles after that are blank. I'll try to work on a few titles per week for Intellivision and several titles a week for the 2600. The reference site I'm using for the scans that I don't own mainly have the front of the boxes. That's going to leave many back of box and bottom of box scans blank.

I probably own almost all the common title boxes and their variations. Where I will be lacking are foreign boxes. Rare games are going to throw me for a loop as I have some, but almost every one of them is loose.

So check back to the site in a couple of weeks if you're curious as to what the Intellivision Variation List is going to look like.

Phil